Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-16-07, 20:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default Lower Carb Kangaroo Style Pitas

Lower Carb Kangaroo Style Pitas

Mike's Lower-CarbeRoo Pitas

Ingredient list:

1/4 cup soy flour (the yellow stuff)
1/4 cup of wheat gluten
1 cup of oat flour or oat bran
1/2 cup of flax meal
1/4 cup of rye flour
3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of bran
2 tsp of active dry yeast or 1/2 a cube fresh
1 tsp of salt or lite salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbs of warm water
1 tsp of honey or sugar (used up in yeast fermentation)
2 Tbs of oil

These are quite eatable and compare to the Kangaroo WW pita pockets.

Method:

Proof the yeast: Mix into the warm water yeast, honey and sprinkle some flour on top to feed the yeast-- wait till the mixture bubbles and smells yeasty or like beer.

I use a bread machine. Warm all dry ingredients in the microwave and add to the yeast mixture, add oil then start the kneading cycle. Dough should be springy and not too wet or stiff when you press on it springs back quickly. You can add more water or dry ingredients to get it right-- this requires experience. Knead for about 10 minutes then allow to raise in a warm place till doubled in size (about two hours) then punch down and divide out into 12 or more equal balls of dough. Wait 30 minutes and press or roll dough into pita shape, an tortilla press works well-- use flour, plastic wrap and/or oil to prevent sticking. Allow dough to rest for a few minutes (up to 30) and roll again if needed to keep flat. Allow pitas to raise again for 30 minutes then bake on cookie sheets-- about 12 minutes at 350F. Keep an eye on them, they will puff up to 2" thick or more and brown. They will be very crisp right out of the oven, but will soften well when cooled so they can be packed away or frozen without damage.

The net carbohydrate count I figure is around 10g per whole 6" pita and they are very high in fiber so don't overeat these. Kangaroo's are ~24 net per pita figuring the weight at just over 2 oz each and 4 g fiber.

Note: If a more flat style bread is desired (like for pizza crust) just roll the dough again right before baking. For pizza crust I use LC or whole wheat tortillas since getting dough thin enough is quite tricky.

Last edited by mike_d : Fri, Feb-16-07 at 20:44. Reason: addendum
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 01:10
Grease is the word!

I just made more of these tonight-- they came out great. The trick is to roll or press them very thin between plastic wrap to prevent sticking. Oil or flower don't work and will make a mess or dry the dough. My dough came out too wet this time so I may have an 1/4 cup error in the recipe or used too much water. I just added more bran and oat flour to correct. They have a nutty flavor and are high in fiber. The ingredient not to increase is the soy to avoid a bitter taste. I use it because it greatly increases nutrition in the final product.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-07, 16:27
Grease is the word!

I ditched the bitter soy flour and I now use chick-pea (garbanzo bean) flour instead or wheat germ, and it works fine. I roll a thin sheet on a flour cloth board then cut out 4.5" circles with a juice can. Yield is about 15 pitas that take 9-10 minutes or less to bake at 350 F.

8 net carbs per pita approx.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-07, 17:43
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

LOL, I read the heading of this thread and thought you were making the pitas out of Kangaroo meat hehehe (Very yum, by the way)

So is this a low carb version of a pouched pita, is that right?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-07, 13:07
Grease is the word!

Default Newer Bread Machine Recipe ...

Never had roo meat, but i've heard people eat it. Tastes like chicken?

These pitas should come out hollow inside, but the original recipe has a typo, it should be 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour instead of 3/4. The Idea is to get about 3 cups of dry ingredients to just over 1 cup of liquid including the oil if added. The dough should be sticky and spongy-- not too dry and stiff. I use a little extra oat flour on hands for working the dough and rolling it out so it doesn't stick to everything.

The recipe is flexible, but keep in mind some dry ingredients absorb less liquid so the ratios may need adjustment. Next ill try 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of oat bran since the former has less carbs, but it also gives less rise in the dough.

Ingredient list:

Do not use any ingredients that have preservatives like molasses or bran cereals-- they will kill the yeast

1/4 cup of chick-pea (garbanzo bean) flour
1/4 cup of wheat gluten (with vitamin C added is best)
1 cup of oat flour or oat bran
1/2 cup of flax meal
1/4 cup of rye flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup of pure wheat bran ( often found in the hot cereal isle)

2 tsp of active dry yeast or 1/2 a cube fresh (or one packet dry)
1 tsp of sea salt or lite salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbs of warm 100F not hot water
1 tsp of honey or sugar (used up in yeast fermentation)
2 Tbs of oil to make softer pitas (optional can substitute water instead)

These are quite good and compare to the Kangaroo WW pita pockets.

Method:

Proof the yeast: Mix into the warm water yeast, honey and sprinkle some garbanzo flour on top to feed the yeast-- wait till the mixture bubbles and smells yeasty or like beer.

I use a bread machine to mix doughson manual setting. Warm all dry ingredients in the microwave and add to the yeast mixture, add oil then start the kneading cycle. Dough should be springy and not too wet or stiff when you press on it springs back quickly. You can add more water or dry ingredients to get it right-- this requires experience. Knead for about 10-15 minutes then allow to raise in a warm place till doubled in size (about two hours) then punch down and divide out into 12 or more equal balls of dough. Or just roll and cut out like cookies. Wait 30 minutes and press or roll dough into thin pita shape, the tortilla press works well. An empty juice can is a good pita like cookie cutter
Use flour, plastic wrap, floured cloth and/or oil to prevent sticking. Allow dough to rest for a few minutes (up to 30) and roll again if needed to keep flat. Allow pitas to raise again for 30 minutes then bake on cookie sheets-- about 12 minutes at 350F. Keep an eye on them, they will puff up to 2" thick or more and brown. They will be crisp right out of the oven, but will soften when cooled so they can be packed away or frozen without damage.

The net carbohydrate count I figure is around 9g per whole 6" pita and they are very high in fiber. Kangaroo's are ~24 net per pita figuring the weight at just over 2 oz each and 4 g fiber.

Note: If a more flat style bread is desired (like for pizza crust) just roll the dough again right before baking. For pizza crust I use LC or 100% whole wheat tortillas since getting pizza dough to stay thin enough is quite tricky.[quote]I made two batches today-- one with sourdough starter and one with a whole pkg of red star dried yeast. After sampling I found the sourdough taste and texture far superior. It was really good. Instead of a cup of plain filtered water I added 1/4 cup of sourdough starter. Its a batch I have kept for many years and is now maintained with 50% bread flour and water so it may add a few more carbs. I might be able to switch starter flours, but unbleached bread flour is a bit cheaper.

http://www.sourdoughhome.com/sfsd1.html

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

Starter can be frozen and will keep for many years, they used to use it in Alaska to chink log cabins in the 1800's and it will still grow if cultured.

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Sep-26-07 at 20:56. Reason: addendum
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 15:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Never had roo meat, but i've heard people eat it. Tastes like chicken?
Roo meat doesn't taste like chicken, it's a strong gamey meat. It's very very lean and not to everyone's taste. I don't mind it on the odd occasion but it does have a strong flavour. It's probably best marinated but in my experience, the marinades usually have a high sugar content.

Thanks for the pita recipe... It's on my list of 'to make'
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 23:08
Grease is the word!

Default Recipe Change

To make a less heavy product I increased the bran to 1/2 cup by cutting the flax meal to 1/4 cup, used 1 cup of oat bran flour from Hodgson Mills, 1/2 cup of their WW flour plus 4 Tbs of natural coconut oil. I also use the H. mills gluten from Wal*Mart that has added vitamin C, and or I add a crushed 500mg tablet it helps the yeast work. The way Joseph's Flax Breads are made they use highly processed or finely ground flours we can't unfortunately buy off the shelf.

I ordered some Carl's chuckwagon starter, haven't gotten it yet-- I make so little bread I should just buy my yeast, but I like to be self sufficient whenever possible in these trying times and yeast from stores doesn't keep well. Wild sourdough should augment my Winter cooking with the wood stove and fireplace or when using my Dutch oven.

New Revised Recipe

These pitas should come out hollow inside. The Idea is to get about 3 cups of dry ingredients to just over 1 cup of liquid including the oil if added. The dough should be slightly sticky and spongy-- not too dry and stiff but not stick on your hands. I use a little extra WW flour on hands for working the dough and rolling it out on the sackcloth so it doesn't stick to everything.

This recipe is flexible, but keep in mind some dry ingredients absorb less liquid so the ratios may need slight adjustment for your local conditions.

Ingredient list:

Do not use any ingredients that may have preservatives like molasses, potato flakes or bran cereals-- they can kill the yeast

1/4 cup of yellow soy flour, or use chick-pea (garbanzo bean) flour
1/4 cup of wheat gluten (with vitamin C added is best)
1 cup of natural oat flour or oat bran [I use Hodgson's Mill]
1/4 cup of flax meal or flour (finer is better)
1/4 cup of rye flour
1/2 cup of whole grain wheat flour
1/2 cup of pure wheat bran ( often found in the hot cereal isle)

2 tsp of active dry rapid-rise yeast or 1/2 a cube fresh (or one packet dry)
1 tsp of sea salt or Morton's lite salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbs of warm 100F not hot water
1 tsp of honey or sugar (used up by the yeast during fermentation)
2-4 Tbs of coconut oil to make softer pitas (optional can substitute water instead)

These are quite good and compare to the Kangaroo WWheat pita pockets.

Method:

Proof the yeast: Mix into the warm water yeast, honey and sprinkle some flour on top to feed the yeast-- wait till the mixture bubbles and smells yeasty or like beer in about 15 to 30 minutes.

I use a bread machine to mix dough on the manual setting. Slightly warm all dry ingredients in microwave and then add to the yeast mixture, add oil then start the kneading cycle. Dough should be springy and not too wet or stiff when you press on it springs back but doesn't stick to your finger. You can add more water or dry ingredients to get it right-- this requires experience. Knead for about 10-15 minutes then allow to raise in a warm place till doubled in size (about two hours) then punch down and divide out into 12 or more equal balls of dough. Or just roll and cut out like cookies-- I use a 4.4" juice can like a cookie cutter. Use a floured cloth and/or oil to prevent sticking if you use a tortilla press. Allow pitas to raise again for about 30 minutes then bake on cookie sheets-- about 12 minutes at 350F. Keep an eye on them, they will puff up to 2" thick or more and brown. I use a toaster oven and brown them using broil after baking. They will be crisp right out of the oven, but will soften when cooled so they can be packed away or frozen without damage.

The net carbohydrate count I figure is around 9g per whole 5" pita weighing 1.6 oz and they are very high in fiber. Kangaroo's are ~24 net per pita figuring the weight at just over 2 oz each and 4 g fiber.

I don't eat too many of these [usually], but they are good for cheeseburger buns, or if eaten with a little peanut butter or cream cheese & cinnamon in coffee or cut in two for open face sandwiches or even homestyle Egg McMuffins

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Jul-06-08 at 23:20.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-08, 08:14
Grease is the word!

Well after making a few dog biscuits and hockey pucks; I did some experimenting and found the oat flour I just bought, or even ground up oatmeal doesn't work as well as what I had before (no clue what brand) so I am using 1 cup of WW flour to 1/2 oat for now. I would rather use more of the latter since its LC, so I am still experimenting with an overnight "sponge" technique similar to that used with sourdough starter.
Luckily I know a lady who will take my baking rejects, and my dog will eat anything with peanut butter on it.

A quick search found this pita link I haven't tried yet. I would leave out the salt, or add a little to the flour later mixing and not use molasses (it doesn't work as well as honey sometimes not at all) :

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Whole-...ead/Detail.aspx

My testing has found commercial yeast works best with w wheat, soy, rye, or oat in that order. Flax and bran can only leven when w gluten is added.

Mom said "baking is a black art" I