Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 22:48

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default oldie maintainers?

Anyone out there over 60 who has made it? I am struggling with my last few lbs....seems to take forever to get the scales to shift and then back up they go, then down and so on...I tried the KISS for 2 weeks, but am not sure it really did much. When you get over a certain age and are past menopause, there seems to be unbelievable resistance to further weight loss....I think this has to do with trying to retain hormones that are stored in fatty tissue. I exercise aerobically 3 times a week, plus 2 hours of pilates.

I feel and look heaps better than I did 2 years ago, but still feel I am a bit too chubby as I don't have large bones and so would like to be free of this last bit.

You younger folks are doing a good job at getting to goal and maintaining, so wondering if anyone out there is in my age bracket with a few hints.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, I have asked "EDIE" to come join you here, she's a neat lady who'd no doubt like to share some thoughts with you.
You can also find her journal under the E's for EDIE.

Are you on the east side of Aust?
Cheers Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:52

Thanks Kathy...yes, I live in a gorgeous area called the Sunshine Coast, which is an hour's drive N of Brisbane, Queensland...subtropical climate. But I was born in your city and my grandfather was a pioneer there FWIW.

Val
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 18:31

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Hi Val,
I qualify for one of those you were inquiring about. I am 63 and reached my goal in 1999, but sorry, I guess I am in the same boat with you. My weight goes up and down. I would like to stay at about 107, 5 pounds under my goal, but instead have bounced up 3 pounds or so instead. I will be interested in the suggestions you get. Those last few pounds do seem to be the hardest to lose and maintainance is much more of a challenge for me than losing the weight was. Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:14

Mary,

Did you reach your goal by low carbing, or have you been lo carbing since then? And what sort of maintenance plan are you on now?

Val
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:44

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey Val, I was asking cause, I have a brother who lives in Hope Island. He and his family live on a sailboat. He married an Canadian born Aussie, .She grew up in Coffs harbour. Coolum beach sounded familiar to me, they just spent 5 weeks with me. Have you ever been back to Vancouver? I live on the big Island, but grew up just out side of Van, (Burnaby)

Cheers Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 15:52

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi VALEWIS. I won't be 60 for a few years but I wanted to drop a few lines of encouragement. I've decided not to worry about those last few pounds. If they come off great, if they don't I've decided to be happy to stay where I am. Have you considered adding weight lifting to your exercise routine? I do aerobics, Yoga, and weights and love them all. But the weight lifting is essential for muscle strenth and definition.

Congratulations on your success and keep up the good work.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 16:41

I was doing weights since about August..had to stop some weeks ago due to injuries (tear in rotator cuff). One of the things that happens to me is that I get injuries fairly easily...just when I think a weight level is getting pretty easy and it is time to go a bit heavier. So lesson learned...whenever this heals I will get back to it and do more reps rather than increasing weight. Aging is NOT fun.

Val
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:17

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up Hi Val and all us oldies!! lol

I see Kathy introduced me...taking a bow..teehee.
Isn't this business of weight all the more intresting after 60!! Yikes!
As for exercise I am embarrased to say I don't, but I have praise for anyone that makes it a regular part of their life. I must be just downright lasy!! lol
On a more positive note, I have done well on low carbing, (drumroll please!!).
I am off all the industrial strength blood pressure RX's I had to take for a dozen or so years. I only take a daily diuretic which I've taken for many years. I feel good..ta da.
I bounce around a few pounds in weight all the time, some might be water...but then I am a work in progress!
About the last few pounds....they are so stubborn and hard to get off....We're talking s-l-o-w here.
I still have fat, and I could stand to loose more, but I don't as DH said "You are shinny enough". But believe it or not I have stuff that ya can get a handful of that could go. But I know I would have to be wicked strict to drop those last 5 or 10 pounds, and I took the easy way out lol. On the other hand, I feel great like this, so I am not complaining. But I take my hat off to those that go after and actually get rid of those last few pounds. If there is a secret, please share it.
I think this thread is neat and am going to subscribe to it. Neat talking with other young at heart oldies!! lol
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:30

Wow Edie, I can see from your photo what your hubby means...you look great. But you must be at an ideal weight for your height? I have yo-yo'd so many times that I don't think I can lose any more, at least not without restricted calories to fairly low, and don't want to do that...

Val
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 19:46

BF:

Gee, thanks for the compliment!!
Well I guess I weigh in OK, but 123 at 60 is not like it looks at 20 ... lol!!
Yes, I ageee I would have to be REAL strict to go lower, and frankly I am spoiled now. I eat alot, tho no high carb stuff. They have a lot of low carb products on the market now that they didn't have when I was doing most of the loosing...so..(blush, blush), I have been indulging...and I must say..I'm loving it!! lol
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:54

BF:

Hi everybody!! Anybody still with this thread?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 19:50

Well I could be...perhaps just keep it ticking over as needed??

I am investigating my health at the moment...have started having digestive issues for the first time in my life..

Val
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 19:30

Plan: Lower Fat/Moderate Carb
Stats: 160/103.5/100 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hey there you "young at heart" lowcarbers and maintainers. I am getting close to 60; only 5 years to go. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I really had no major problems hitting goal and then I kept on moving downward. I have been maintaining for about 6 months now with my weight only fluctuating a couple of pounds. I have been as low as 91 lbs. but currently around 94 lbs. I think I have finally figured this thing out and am truly enjoying it. I attribute my success to watching carbs, calories, and fat. I eat a lot of yogurt and I believe it is the secret of my success. Good Luck to all of you and lets keep this "golden oldies" thread moving. Take care, Ann (Granny to Jonah and Anleigh).