Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 11:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoy_3000
Fact is that, PW Lemon's paper deals with the protein requirements of athletes, and that's pretty much different from regular people. Also, there are other papers around contending that even strenght athletes do not require such high amounts of proteins, since there is some sort of metabolic adaptation which will entail a sequestration of aminoacid by the muscle cells. This is maybe related to the AMPK master switch.
Dr. Attia, the unflinching self-experimenter, used to take huge quantities of proteins before his nutrition interest was risen, then he lowered it by approximately a half I reckon. I do not remember exactly how much he takes now.

Lemon's paper includes sedentary people. http://i2.wp.com/bayesianbodybuildi...esize=420%2C301
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 12:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
On the subject of metabolic pathways, yes they show what is possible. They do not necessarily show what will happen nor especially the extent to which it will happen. For instance gluconeogenesis from protein AND fat are both possible. How do we know the extent to which it happens? Not by looking at detailed pathways, that's for sure. We need data. Data I don't think we have.

Agreed. We need data. This will be expensive.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 12:30
Registered Member

Plan: moderately LC, HF, LP
Stats: 149/143/143 Male 170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bintang
Interesting but where is the practicality in this for the non-medical person? How does one determine one's individual zero nitrogen point?
More generally I struggle to believe why it should be in anyway critical to lower protein intake to the level suggested by Dr Rosedale. For me it would mean eating less than 50g per day whereas I currently eat 80 to 85 g/d. Going to 50g/d or less would make eating less enjoyable if it meant I had to start eating less cheese and/or less eggs and/or less meat etc.

Unfortunately, if there really is an mTOR pathway and if what Rosedale and other researchers affirm is true, the metabolic master switch is triggered beyond a certain threshold of proteins concentration, independently of our enjoyments or hunger or consternation or whatsoever other individual feelings.

As I understand, nobody really knows the exact threshold of mTOR activation, although the actuation signal is definitely an abundance of proteins, definitely more than the body needs. this means, more than the individual minimum requirement. A little more? Probably mTOR stays put. Much more? mTOR awakes. How much more? 10%? 20%? 50%? I'm not aware of any suggestions in this direction.

How other posters have written, if we do not own a medical lab, probably the only way to find our neutral nitrogen balance point is by trial and error.

I just had this thought, if those fitness scales which measure bodyfat by electrical resistivity are enough accurate, we may have a good reference.
We'd just need to decrease our intake of proteins, all other things being equal, until we start loosing lean muscle mass, parameter which the scale will measure (I just checked). At this point, if the trend slowly goes down, than we can reasonably assume that we crossed the border and are in a negative nitrogen balance. We write down our proteic intake. After we are sure it's not some anomaly or oscillation, then we increase a little our proteins intake; if the muscle mass returns to its previous value, we write this other proteic intake. Now we know that our minimum protein requirement is in between the values which we wrote down, correspondent to negative and positive balance.
It sure takes some patience but, to the cost of being commonplace, life wasn't meant to be easy, and most of you guys know that well.

Now, if you guys do not find any substantial flaws in my reasoning, I'm ready to buy one of them scales, they are pretty and they measure a few interesting parameters related to bodyweight.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 12:43

BF:

Quote:
Now, if you guys do not find any substantial flaws in my reasoning, I'm ready to buy one of them scales, they are pretty and they measure a few interesting parameters related to bodyweight.

I'd be careful with these scales. Tests indicate highly inaccurate, inconsistent results. However, it's plausible that you could use a good quality scale of this type to identify an initial benchmark, and then identify changes based on protein consumption. You wouldn't necessarily get an accurate fat composition measurement; rather, you'd be tracking deltas from the previous benchmark based on known protein consumption.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 12:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I'd be careful with these scales. Tests indicate highly inaccurate, inconsistent results. However, it's plausible that you could use a good quality scale of this type to identify an initial benchmark, and then identify changes based on protein consumption. You wouldn't necessarily get an accurate fat composition measurement; rather, you'd be tracking deltas from the previous benchmark based on known protein consumption.

Yes, well, assuming those deltas are accurate, I can live with an instrumental bias. My concern though are the inconsistent results you are citing.
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 12:59
Registered Member

BF:

Thsi is another method I just looked up which sounds pretty simple, of course it's an estimate and I would repeat it a few times to be sure. I have no idea of the accuracy of teh math beyond teh suggested parameters.
From www.allmaxnutrition.com

Quote:
With this procedure in mind, use the following guidelines to measure your present nitrogen status.

Arrange with your physician to conduct a nitrogen test. Collect all urine over a 24 hour period.
Determine the amount of nitrogen lost over a 24 hour period, via the above test, and add 4 for non-urinary nitrogen losses (nitrogen though sweat and feces, for example).
Determine nitrogen intake by dividing your daily protein in grams by 6.25.
Your nitrogen balance is the value of step 3 minus step 2.
If your nitrogen balance is 0, this means you are consuming just enough protein to maintain your present level of muscular development; if your balance is in the negative, increase your protein intake until it surpasses the equilibrium range of 0.
Example:
Nitrogen lost in urine over 24 hours = 22

Daily protein intake = 120 (grams)

Nitrogen balance = (120/6.25) – (22 + 4)

Total = -6.8 nitrogen balance

To get to equilibrium start by consuming an additional 42.5 g (6.8 x 6.25) of protein.
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 13:04

BF:

Right, you'd need to know whether the scales are making an accurate distinction between lean mass, fat mass, and water. I'm not sure those key distinctions are at the pay grade (price) of these scales, as these subtleties are important and likely require a more expensive measurement solution. There's a debate about how accurate DEXA scans are in relation to those distinctions. Not sure a household fat scale would suffice in that realm.
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 13:12
Registered Member

BF:

GRB5111, medical people do say DEXA scans are pretty accurate, but sure we can have doubts about nonexpensive scales (I saw some apparently good ones at about 80 or 90 US$).

In the meanwhile I'm exploring the analytical method above posted.

Quote:
nitrogen conversion factor Factor by which nitrogen content of a foodstuff is multiplied to determine the protein content; it depends on the amino acid composition of the protein. For wheat and most cereals it is 5.8; rice, 5.95; soya, 5.7; most legumes and nuts, 5.3; milk, 6.38; other foods, 6.25. In mixtures of proteins, as in dishes and diets, the factor of 6.25 is used. ‘Crude protein’ is defined as N × 6.25. See also Kjeldahl determination.

Kjeldahl determination Widely used method of determining total nitrogen in a substance by digesting with sulphuric acid and a catalyst; the nitrogen is reduced to ammonia which is then measured. In foodstuffs most of the nitrogen is protein, and the term crude protein is the total ‘Kjeldahl nitrogen’ multiplied by a factor of 6.25 (since most proteins contain 16% nitrogen). Invented in 1883 by Johan Gustav Christoffer Thorsager Kjeldahl (1849–1900), Danish chemist.
  #144   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 13:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Lemon's paper includes sedentary people. http://i2.wp.com/bayesianbodybuildi...esize=420%2C301

thanks for posting the plot, now i'd be curious to know whether that 0.8 g kg-1 d-1 for sedentary people is the default RDI or something Lemon measured himself. it is a threshold beyond which rate of protein synthesis reaches a plateau, if I guessed it right.
  #145   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 14:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
thanks for posting the plot, now i'd be curious to know whether that 0.8 g kg-1 d-1 for sedentary people is the default RDI or something Lemon measured himself. it is a threshold beyond which rate of protein synthesis reaches a plateau, if I guessed it right.

I've never seen the original data. I suppose I could get the paper on Monday.

On the x-axis is protein consumption. On the y-axis is synthesis and when the synthesis goes asymptotic then the protein consumption is adequate. That's where 0.8g/kg comes from. Before this thread what struck me about that conclusion was the huge spread from the first sedentary data point at ~0.5 an the second at 1.0g/kg. It didn't leave me very confident in 0.8 being just right.

In light of this thread, I think another interesting thing is the spread between sedentary, those doing aerobic training and those doing anaerobic training. A little bit of exercise causes a huge amount of variation in protein needs. So maybe it's just as teaser said four or five pages ago. Maybe without enough protein, our bodies fail to fully regenerate and we get weaker thus discouraging high load activity. That is, our lean mass varies to mach our insufficient protein intake. I am confident there is some sort of regulating mechanism. What it is though is pure speculation on my part.
  #146   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-16, 23:31
Registered Member

BF:

Urinary samples for nitrogen balance must apparently be collected in controlled setups. Many errors are possible as this researcher points out:

Quote:
NS Scrimshaw

UNU Food and Nutrition Program, Charles Street Station, P.O. Box 500, Boston, MA 02114-
0500, USA

Descriptors: nitrogen balance, protein requirements, methodology

Estimates of human protein requirements are almost wholly dependent on nitrogen balance measurements. This was also true for the determination of amino acid requirements until the recent development of stable isotope methodology. Because there are a number of inherent sources of error in nitrogen balance measurements and a number of requirements that are not always observed, the methodology has been much criticized. Nitrogen balance data can be reliable and consistent or of doubtful validity and consistency depending on how they are obtained. The following precautions are essential:

1. Caloric intake must match caloric requirement

Nitrogen balance is very sensitive to changes in dietary energy intake above and below that required for zero energy balance. Therefore, estimates of normal protein needs from nitrogen balance are valid only when energy intakes closely approximate those when the individual is consuming his usual diet while maintaining his usual level of activity. Many past studies are invalid because energy levels were too high or too low.

2. An appropriate stabilization period must precede each measurement

Adaptation to a new protein level is relatively rapid and depends on the magnitude of the change. For subjects who are protein replete, a five-day adaptation period has been suggested as sufficient for determining incremental changes in N-balance. For randomized, multilevel studies in adults an initial one-day nitrogen-free period helps to ensure the adequacy of the subsequent adaptation period.

3. Periods on the same diets must be long enough to establish a stable response to the dietary change

Experience has shown that consistent results are obtained using two five-day or three three-day periods per level of intake.

4. Degree of depletion of the subject must be taken into account

Chronically depleted subjects utilize protein more efficiently than those who are normally replete and hence give an overestimate of normal nitrogen retention. They are inappropriate for determining normal protein requirements.

5. No infections, even of seemingly mild degree, can be present

Infections, no matter how mild, increase catabolic nitrogen losses and divert protein for the synthesis of immune proteins (Scrimshaw et al, 1991). It is also virtually impossible to maintain the specific protein intake because anorexia is an early characteristic of acute infections, even when they are subclinical.

6. Variations in daily physical activity must be minimal

Because physical activity is such a large component of energy requirements, it is impossible to maintain an appropriate energy intake if there are large daily variations in activity.

7. Fluid intake must be controlled

A large fluid intake increases urinary nitrogen retention so that variability in fluid intake causes variability in nitrogen balance results.

8. Correction must be made for integumental and miscellaneous losses

Nitrogen balance studies should be conducted under conditions of minimal sweat loss or, if this is not possible, sweat losses should be measured and taken into consideration. Studies of the same individuals showed higher integumental N losses and correspondingly lower urinary N losses in summer than in winter (Huang et al, 1972).

9. Subjects should not be anxious or otherwise disturbed

Psychological stressors cause metabolic responses that are qualitatively similar to those observed with infections.

10. Protein intake be precisely monitored

Misleading results have been obtained in studies where, unknown to the investigators, the subjects consumed additional food or failed to consume some of the food prescribed.

11. Urine collections must be precisely timed and complete

Incomplete urine collections or varying duration of daily collections can introduce large errors into N balance studies. Twenty-four hour urinary creatinine excretion should be monitored as one indicator of the quality of the urine collections.

12. Faecal collections must be complete and very well homogenized before a sample is taken for analysis

A common and serious error is taking a faecal aliquot for analysis without adequate homogenization of the total sample.

13. Determinations of nitrogen in food, urine and faecal collections must be accurate

Nitrogen should be directly determined by analysis and not estimated from food composition data. Inaccurate analyses of the N content of samples is a common source of error in balance studies.

14. The experimental design must be appropriate for the intended purpose
  #147   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 00:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
In light of this thread, I think another interesting thing is the spread between sedentary, those doing aerobic training and those doing anaerobic training. A little bit of exercise causes a huge amount of variation in protein needs. So maybe it's just as teaser said four or five pages ago. Maybe without enough protein, our bodies fail to fully regenerate and we get weaker thus discouraging high load activity. That is, our lean mass varies to mach our insufficient protein intake. I am confident there is some sort of regulating mechanism. What it is though is pure speculation on my part.

I just saw the Tarnopolski et al. study, 1988. It shows that strenght athletes (bodybuilders) are still in slight positive balance at 1.0 g/kg/d whereas endurance athletes would need more proteins than strenght athletes.
This goes against the conclusions of Lemon's study, but maybe it is just to show how huge variations we may expect and how little we can depend on literature in our individual cases. Apparently, bodybuilders would be able to sequestrate nitrogen very efficiently. Protein powder would be a mere business, actually useless towards muscular growth if just enough real food is taken.

The relevant book section should appear by clicking this search URL:

https://books.google.it/books?id=xR...balance&f=false
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 00:48

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Right, you'd need to know whether the scales are making an accurate distinction between lean mass, fat mass, and water. I'm not sure those key distinctions are at the pay grade (price) of these scales, as these subtleties are important and likely require a more expensive measurement solution. There's a debate about how accurate DEXA scans are in relation to those distinctions. Not sure a household fat scale would suffice in that realm.
By coincidence I had some comparative tests done just this past week, which might be of interest to this discussion.
Last Tuesday I went to a clinic that measures body composition using a bioelectrical impedance device called DF50 and it reports fat mass, active tissue mass and hydration status.

The household scales, which measure body fat, also use bioelectrical impedance but are less accurate. (After all you get what you pay for. I don’t know what a brand new DF50 costs but there is currently a second hand one on eBay selling for US$925 DF50 on eBay )

Of course the clinics that do these tests always swear that the results are accurate but being a curious type of person I like to check. So last Thursday I went to a different clinic to have a DEXA scan.

Here are the results of these two separate tests:

Bio-impedance DF50
Total Mass (TM): 69.0 kg (Clothed but without shoes. No deduction was made for mass of clothing, which I measured at home to be 1.5kg)
Fat Mass (FM): 17.1 kg
Active Tissue Mass (ATM): 28.1 kg
Extracellular Mass (ECM): 23.7 kg
Fat Free Mass (FFM): 51.9 kg (Should equal ATM + ECM. Rounding discrepancy of 0.1kg)
Hydration status: normal

Note: FM + FFM = 69.0kg = TM but this includes 1.5kg of clothing

DEXA Scan
Total Mass from scales: 70.3kg (clothed and with shoes)
Total Mass from DEXA (TM): 69.0 kg
Fat Mass (FM): 15.63 kg
Lean Mass (LM): 50.72 kg
Bone Mineral Content (BMC): 2.60 kg
Visceral Fat (VAT): 1.03 kg

So relative to DEXA the DF50 bio-impedance measurement has overestimated fat mass by 1.4 kg (9.4%). I strongly doubt that the cheaper household fat measuring scales can do better than this.

The visceral fat result is another interesting topic. But so as not to derail this particular thread discussion about protein I will make some comments about the visceral fat in a separate thread. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ewpost&t=475063

Last edited by Bintang : Sun, Sep-25-16 at 02:55.
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 05:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the interesting info Bintang, sure it gives an idea upon the probably only modest accuracy of household fitness scales.
Maybe as GRB says the delta, that is the variation in successive weight may be used to our advantage, we don't know though the accuracy of the delta itself, that is the precision of the device.
I believe we can take a DEXA scan as a reasonable benchmark, it's strange enough that they did it clothed and with your shoes on!!!
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-16, 06:14

Plan: MyOwn:CHO<90g/d
Stats: 207/149/150 Male 169 cm
BF:40%/17%/18%
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I believe we can take a DEXA scan as a reasonable benchmark, it's strange enough that they did it clothed and with your shoes on!!!

The clothes and shoes were only on for the weight measurement on the scales prior to the scan. It doesn't need to be super accurate as it is just a guide for the operator. The DEXA scan calculates body mass independently of the scales.