Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 06:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/206.6/140 Female 5 ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Adding Exercise

I've been LCing now for 2 months now and have lost about 14 lbs.. which i'm proud of, thats a lil less than 2 lbs a week.

if i add in exercise about 4 x a week, will that greatly increase my weight loss?? Maybe 10 lbs in a month???

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 07:37

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

It is possible to lose huge amounts of weight in a short time but it usually piles back on eventually. Work with nature. Nature doesnt want you to lose more than 2lbs per week.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 13:00

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

IDK that it will expedite weight loss like you want, but it well help give you toning and muscle. I have worked out 4-5 days a week for 2.5 years and I still have some weight to lose
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 22:20

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Simple answer, NO.

Exercise does help your body -- cardiovascular health, muscle toning, strengthening, etc.

Generally if you work out, your body will "rest" more in between to make up for much of the extra energy burned. That goes for very high levels of exercising eg 40+ minutes, 7min/mile on elliptical.

Most people will lose up to 2% of their current weight per week. YMMV. The biggest loser, with IMHO extreme levels of exercise AND a starvation diet is typically 2%. I think LC is sufficient.

As to exercising, sure great idea. Good for your body, etc.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-11, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 205/194.8/135 Female 5'3''
BF:49.5%/47%/28%
Progress: 15%

Hi Ashno,

The best way to know is to try. I say start really slow. 2 sessions per week for two weeks or more and add an other session for a while and see how you feel and if it affecting your weight loss the way you want.

As for me, on my first attempt with Atkins I was working out 3-4 times a week, high intensity kickboxing and it literally KILLED me. I was expecting too much from my body, it couldn't keep up with the lack of carb and intense exercise. I felt tired, cramps in my muscle and sooooo hungry!! For this reason I think if you were not exercising regularly before doing any type of LC diet, you need to add it slowly (sessions and time) so that you don't confuse your body and most importantly I think at the beginning high intensity should be avoided COMPLETELY. I think that your body needs more time to convert fat to energy, contrary from carb/sugar, so if your workout needs lots of energy fast it wont be able to provide you with the fuel that you need...something like that?!?

Start by walking for 20-30 minutes and see how you feel. I for myself, I'm not introducing exercise until I feel that my weight loss is really slowing down and then I'll add some yoga. I'm only on week 2/induction.

Good luck with everything
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 15:19

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%
Default My two cents

Exercise is such a confusing issue! I just want to add my experiences: Several years ago I was at the gym regularly, doing cardio and weights. I kept a record for a year, and I was averaging 40 minutes a day, 4-5 days per week. At the end of the year I was the exact same weight. Discouraged, I cancelled my gym membership. Fast forward 3 years: I'm up 25 pounds, and am now on medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pre diabetes. My cardiologist says if I lose 30 pounds, he thinks I can get off all meds. I'm trying LC, and my energy is increased! I've lost 10 pounds, and plan to lose 20 more! I am worried about the cholesterol, tho.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 15:31

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm chiming in: I haven't really tracked my measurements, but I've found that exercise doesn't really help with weight loss persay (have you tried reading Taubes's Why We Get Fat? He has a really good explanation of why.)

Rather, working out has firmed me up - my a$$ is round (never was before) and I feel like I've got a great foundation. Plus working out makes me feel like eating healthier, so I'm eating more calories because I'm working out, but better calories - you know? I find exercise makes it easier to stick on low-carb if that is an issue for you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 17:20

Stats: 220/206.6/140 Female 5 ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 17%

thanks everyone for your responses.. its just that iv'e been on a stall now for almost a month... it's kind of getting depressing.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 18:23

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I'm adding some HIIT and walking to try to get things moving on. I believe most of weight loss is diet, but calories do play some part of it, and burning calories is a good way to go about that. I'm not going to kill myself with it, but some every day wont be an issue for me, it sure as heck wont hurt anything. They say exercise helps depression too, and help me sleep better, thats all good!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-11, 21:37

Plan: Whole Foods
Stats: 240/220/185 Male 67"
BF:33%
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicachyna
Exercise is such a confusing issue! I just want to add my experiences: Several years ago I was at the gym regularly, doing cardio and weights. I kept a record for a year, and I was averaging 40 minutes a day, 4-5 days per week. At the end of the year I was the exact same weight. Discouraged, I cancelled my gym membership. Fast forward 3 years: I'm up 25 pounds, and am now on medication for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and pre diabetes. My cardiologist says if I lose 30 pounds, he thinks I can get off all meds. I'm trying LC, and my energy is increased! I've lost 10 pounds, and plan to lose 20 more! I am worried about the cholesterol, tho.

I was in the same boat as you. I decided to cut out ALL PROCESSED FOODS, including anything which contained wheat/gluten, and sugar/fructose/high fructose corn syrup. That was 2 months ago.

Today I am 20 pounds lighter and the BP meds I am on are actually making my blood pressure lower than normal. I am being reevaluated next week in hopes of getting off the bp meds.

I wouldn't worry too much about cholesterol. If you eat whole foods, your cholesterol levels will be normal.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 22:32

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

So true Easy10!...get rid of all the fake food with partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup and all the fake
additives...MSG...eat real food!! Real food nourishes you. I am trying to do that...
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 15:24

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm not sure. I think for people who start quite heavy and have a blood-sugar imbalance, a more gentle approach to exercise is probably better, rather than vigorously stirring up the blood sugar levels. For slim people with stable blood sugar, it probably works great, as the extra muscle will increase the metabolism. I think Scottie123 made great points in his post.

I have just started two exercise methods, neither of which will disrupt my trigger-happy blood-sugar levels:

One involves 30 secs of vigorous activity, followed by 30 secs of rest, then same thing another 3 times making 2 mins. exercise.
New studies have shown that if you do bursts of intensive exercise, then it is as beneficial as hours spent at the gymn. Here is the full article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...ss-1605271.html

I've also started Beginning Callanetics, which is a toning programme - very relaxing and gentle, but good for streamlining the body without adding bulk.

The Callanetics is very gentle and relaxing.

Muscle weighs heavier than fat, so when you do these activities, your weight might not change, so you have to guage the results in the way your clothes fit.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sun, Apr-08-12 at 08:38.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 20:17

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Callanetics! I remember that from the 80s. Doesn't it involve small pulses of contracting your muscles? I've never been good at doing floor exercises at home (I prefer going to the gym), but as I recall, when I was doing it, it was pretty effective. Are you using a book or a video?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-12, 23:33

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

Walking will def help. Target heart rate 70% of your max
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-12, 08:23

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Excellent point, Anthony.

Quote:
Callanetics! I remember that from the 80s. Doesn't it involve small pulses of contracting your muscles? I've never been good at doing floor exercises at home (I prefer going to the gym), but as I recall, when I was doing it, it was pretty effective. Are you using a book or a video?

Yes - it uses tiny movements, and is very effective. You might be able to find a class locally, if that would suit you better. I am using the Beginning Callanetics video.. I have huge limitations, so I have to be very gentle, but it is really lovely and relaxing to do - I adapt the exercises to do in bed. You could actually learn the exercises, then incorporate the odd one last thing at night, or in the morning before you get up, in addition to going to the gymn. I've just restarted Callanetics yesterday, and to judge by today, I think I will probably only manage it twice a week, but I will see. I'll do the 2 minute exercise the other days, or if necessary, I will insert days of just relaxing, so that I am doing something every day and get into a routine. I am better with routines.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sun, Apr-08-12 at 08:54.