Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/230/185 Male 6 ft
BF:39%/32.8%/15%
Progress: 42%
Default The high cost of low-carb diets. We do the math

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4901047/

For close to a year, low-carb diets, led by Atkins and South Beach, have been the number-one way of keeping in shape. In fact, according to ACNielsen, 17.2 percent of Americans are currently on a low-carb diet.

While much discussion has ensued about the nutritional benefits (and drawbacks) to this type of diet, little has been written about the actual cost of maintaining such an eating plan.

Conventional wisdom, of course, suggests that going on a diet means you eat less and that the cost of your food would be less as well. With Atkins or South Beach, though, adhering to the meal plans detailed in the books is more expensive than the typical amount spent on food.

Not only do the costs associated with this type of diet come as a surprise to many people but, as with a lot of things in life, it also raises the question as to whether the people that most need to lose those extra pounds can actually afford to do so.

We do the low-carb math
We wanted to calculate just how much the two leading low-carb diets would cost, so we broke down each recipe and meal plan (for one person).

The average one-person household spends about $59 a week on their groceries, according to the Food Marketing Institute’s 2004 Trends report. We found that strictly following the portion size and ingredients in a weeklong program on Atkins totaled $99.89 and on South Beach $91.28.

Those who need low-carb diets most can least afford them
Obesity rates, as detailed in the National Health Interview Study, reveal some major differences in of our most correctable health dilemma: 26 percent of those whose income is less than $17,000 are obese compared to 18 percent for those individuals making over $67,000 per year.

Sugar, fat and grains are our cheapest foods – and those are exactly the food types that these low-carb diets want us to eliminate or reduce significantly. In fact, the new recommendations from the Institutes of Medicine last December reinforce this thinking -- they dropped the current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for carbohydrates from 300 grams a day to 130 grams a day, less than half. Protein, in particular fish, chicken and meats, cost more than pasta and rice.

Low-carb diets on a budget
So, what can an average person who still wants to keep close to their budget of $59 a week do?

To start, read those labels and look for those hidden carbs in products you may not expect. Sugars, like high fructose corn syrup, have been added to some ketchup, pasta sauces, salad dressings, and other sauces. Also, read the Nutritional Facts label and choose those products that have little or no carbohydrates.
Use the Atkins and South Beach diet plans as a guide, but replace the salmon and steak and other more expensive items with a chicken breast or tofu.
Buy frozen fish and meat. These tend to be cheaper (and most so-called “fresh” fish – and much meat -- has been previously frozen anyway). There is little nutritional or taste difference, when properly frozen and maintained at the correct temperature, in choosing these items over their unfrozen counterparts. In addition, frozen products can often be bought in bulk quantities at a discount.
Same thing holds true for fruits, such as blueberries, strawberries and raspberries (especially when these fruits are out of season and flown halfway across the world to your produce department).
Instead of Canadian or other bacons, choose a lean boiled ham. It will cost less than half.
Replace mixed green salads, often called mesclun, with a single type of lettuce. Buying a bag of already mixed and washed greens will cost you much more than preparing your own salad.

Both Atkins and South Beach suggest using extra-virgin olive oil on salads and in their recipes. Replacing this expensive oil with canola oil can add to your savings.
Many of the expensive herbs and spices in the fancy low-carb recipes can either be left out or replaced by something less glamorous. Use your taste buds – good old salt and pepper can often do the trick.
Meanwhile, for those who want to eat healthy and save money and don’t have a particular diet in mind, you may want to check out the Thrifty Food Plan developed by the USDA. On this plan, an individual spends just $43.54 a week. You can download the USDA diet at no cost at www.Cnpp.usda.gov/Pubs/Cookbook/thriftym.pdf

Keep in mind also that there is more to keeping in shape than food:

Burning those extra calories through additional exercise is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy weight. Simple changes to your routine, like walking and taking the steps rather than elevators will help.
Keeping a “fat diary,” in which you write down what you eat every day can also help. Research shows that those people who maintain a diary actually consume 15% less food than those who don’t. Use a paper diary, or for the computer savvy, you may want to try our free on-line private diary at www.philsfatdiairies.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:03
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I think they could have titled it, "The High Cost of Eating Whole Foods." Sadly, the good stuff is more expensive than processed junk, even if you're not low carbing. I have vegetarian/non-LC buddies who easily spend as much money on food as I do.

Complaints about the high cost of LCing tend to focus on the pound-for-pound cost of protein vs potatoes or other cheap high carb foods. They fail to take into account serving sizes, nutrition, and the fact that those cheap-o carbs just make you want to eat more.

A possible future article: "The High Cost of Eating Processed Crap"
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 11:14

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
the fact that those cheap-o carbs just make you want to eat more.

Too true! If they were in my kitchen, they would see how a cheapo meal based on macaroni or rice just made me prowl the kitchen for more only two hours after I'd eaten.

They never seem to factor in dessert in these comparisons, and yet a bag of cookies is $3 and a nice pie from my local bakery is easily $5. This is what I'd prowl the kitchen for, and eventually wind up eating.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 12:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Steak and broccoli costs me less then a supersized McD meal.
(I swear I never ordered supersize or a soda just comparing costs here) If I have creamcheese & cocoa that adds another 36cents.
It is more expensive then the whole steamer of rice I would eat-sigh-what was I thinking.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 15:09

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Both Atkins and South Beach suggest using extra-virgin olive oil on salads and in their recipes. Replacing this expensive oil with canola oil can add to your savings.

EV olive oil does not have to be expensive. I get "fifths" at the local Trader Joe's for 4.99 a bottle of really good (by my taste) imported EV olive oil -- that's less than the "cheap" olive oil I've seen in the regular grocery stores. Also, the canola you buy in the grocery store has been treated to allow it to withstand storage in your cupboard (read damaged fats). If you want "healthy" canola, you have to buy the expensive one that has to be refrigerated.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 15:13

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

They're not looking at the whole picture. If the claims of the low-carb camp are true -- and it appears they are -- then you need to factor in the reduced cost of healthcare.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:12

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Here's an interesting twist. The other day, I drove about 700 miles with the bed of my truck loaded with stuff. I didn't weigh it all, but I'd estimate 300 pounds at most. It cut my Gas mileage by about 30 miles per tank. So, if 300 pounds cut my Gas mileage by 30 miles a tank, how much did that extra 131+ pounds I was carrying around cost me gas wise ? Assuming the relationship is 100% linear, that'd be a savings of 1-2 Gallons of Gas a month. Not that significant, but seeing how expensive Gas is getting now...

Also, I can now buy clothes in any store and even off the clearance rack. At my highest, I could only get clothes in the Big Man's Shop or the most expensive at the regular stores, if I could even find them. Remember that Plus Size is an extra $1-2 in most regular stores, and if you have to get them in the Big Man's Store, they cost even more.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:37

Stats: 225/194/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Typical menus for me:

For dinner, I have something like a pork chop (or 2) with a salad and a 1/2 cup or a cup of steamed veggies/butter. I might have some sugar free jello with some whipped cream on it for dessert. (most times I don't even bother with dessert.) And maybe eat an ounce of cheese after that. Then I'm done for the night. And drink water all evening. This is the norm for me now.

Before Atkins, I would have: 2 pork chops, salad, baked potato, butter, sour cream and bacon bits or a half a can of corn. Then for dessert a piece of some kind of cake or pie. Then two hours later I'd be in the kitchen getting at least 4 oz of Cheetos, drink at least 3 cokes between dinner and bed time. Eat whatever candy I could get my hands on. Usually Laffy Taffy, who knows how many, a few fun size chocolates (ok maybe 10!) and probably another piece of the pie or cake if there was any left. All this between the hours of 4:30pm and midnight. (We eat dinner early around here due to my husbands working hours.)

Now, which one is more costly? Not only in dollars, but I scare myself looking at this menu I used to eat regarding the health hazards involved. I saved my life with Atkins, I can't put a price on that nor the ravages of ill health that were coming at me like freight train. If LC is expensive, consider the alternative.

This article does give some pretty good tips about saving some money, though.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 21:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 148/134/115 Female 62 inches
BF:I dunno?
Progress: 42%

Yeah.. it is pretty sad how much buying healthy does cost. (THANK GOODNESS EGGS ARE CHEAP! ;~)

I spent 250 dollars at the grocery store 2 days ago compared to my usual 150. (Big family)

Fresh veggies are more than canned, fresh REAL meats are higher than frozen mystery meats, etc.. sad sad sad. I think I'm gonna buy a farm and raise my own! ;~)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-06-04, 22:27

Plan: RNY Gastric Bypass 2/1/10
Stats: 378/163/150 Female 5 ' 5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugzley
I can't put a price on that nor the ravages of ill health that were coming at me like freight train. If LC is expensive, consider the alternative.

OMG! How true is that! My grocery bill has gone up about $40-$60/week but it is well worth it as far as i'm concerned. Not only am I eating healthier I'm feeling better!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 04:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Remember that Plus Size is an extra $1-2 in most regular stores

For men's clothes, maybe. For women's plus sizes, the difference is often $10.00 or more over regular sizes.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 22:55

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

On the cost of being fat, we can't neglect expected higher medical bills and lower wages, either. It's been proven in a number of studies that thin people out-earn fat people, so by low carbing, you may spend more on food, but you stand a chance of eventually reaping a monetary return on investment.

The other stuff mentioned -- clothing is cheaper, gasoline savings, life insurance costs, etc. all add up as well. But the big savings has to come from lower average medical bills and potential earnings.

A 350 pound person with equal qualifications will lose a job to a thin person, most of the time, so you can see how the fat have more limited options.

Low carb is more expensive, but it is a good investment.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 23:18

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

The slightly higher shopping cost can be negated by avoiding convenience foods, buying on sale, and avoiding eating out. Not as fun, but better control on food quality. And the previous post about costs down the road, ie health costs, makes it all worth it. (Plus cutting out alcohol could easily make up for the higher food cost)