Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 115/115/112 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Maltitol - Long term effects

I am very aware of the unpleasant gastro-intestinal symptoms frequently caused by maltitol and other sugar alcohols. I am wondering whether anyone has ANY information on the possible long term consequences of using maltitol and other sugar alcohol - sugar substitutes in their food.

I just have a feeling that using maltitol is not healthy and could lead to other health complications Anything with such a powerful gastro-intestinal effect might, down the road, have effects on our kidneys, liver, pancreas, metabolism, immune system, digestive system and/or who knows what. I don't mean to scare anybody with my questions, I'm just looking for some answers.

Maltitol is being used in more and more foods and I'm concerned that it's one of those things that could be dangerous for some people.

If anybody has any information regarding this or knows where I might be able to get information, I hope you'll let me know. Thanks so much for your help.

Curious and concerned, carma
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:21

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I found this info on the UMass website.

Artificial sweeteners were made for people who cannot eat sugar or who want to cut down on calories from sugary foods. After many years of use, artificial sweeteners are still controversial. Some people think that they are good because they do not cause cavities and may help them lose weight. Other people think that using artificial sweeteners can cause cancer and other diseases.

There are two types of artificial sweeteners that are used instead of sugars in foods. They are noncaloric sweeteners and sugar alcohols. Noncaloric sweeteners do not add calories to foods. They are used in many kinds of foods such as snack foods and drinks. The names of some noncaloric sweeteners are saccharine and aspartame. These sweeteners do not cause as much tooth decay as sugar.

Sugar alcohols contain about the same number of calories as sugar. They are used in chewing gums and hard candies. Like other artificial sweeteners, they may cause fewer dental cavities than sugars. In fact chewing sugarless gum after meals may help prevent cavities. Because they have the same calories as sugar, sugar alcohols do not help people who are trying to lose weight. For some people they cause diarrhea. Examples of sugar alcohols are sorbitol and mannitol.

All artificial sweeteners have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA made this decision after looking at tests which show that "normal use" of artificial sweeteners would not cause health problems. Some people are still worried that there may be health risks for individuals, especially children, who consume more than the level the FDA defines as "normal use." Also, these tests did not show how safe artificial sweeteners would be when consumed over a lifetime.

Many people use artificial sweeteners because they think they are cutting calories and will lose weight. Often, these people will eat artificially sweetened foods or drinks and then eat even more of other foods. They may even end up gaining weight!

While there is no harm having artificial sweeteners some of the time, it is probably wise to limit your use of foods with artificial sweeteners. Most foods especially ripe fruits are just as sweet without added sugars. Other foods taste fine when you make them with less sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:15

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Barbara,

I have been eating a lo carb diet for 25 years. I'm physically fit and healthy and never, that I can remember, had any gastro-intestinal symptoms prior to eating some chocolates with maltitol. The cramps and bloating were unbearable. I've since learned that this experience is common to many people.

Some people I know withauto-immune disorders have complained of flare-ups after eating foods with maltitol. Are they connected or merely a coincidence?

I can't help but wonder whether something producing such powerful symptoms as maltitol could have hidden, long term dangers to our bodies and our health.

I hope others out there are asking similar questions and doing some research. Please write me what you know. Thanks again, Carma
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

The intestinal symptoms are because the molecules are too large to be digested. It has the effect of a big dose of fiber on those who are not used to it.
I can have one or two sf candies with no ill effects. Since I don't do this every day, or even every other day, I don't worry about it. I don't see how anyone who has these symptoms can make them a large part of their diet. They have definite self limiting effects.
If large amounts of this substance does not have a laxative effect, it means you are digesting them, and the effect on you would be similar to sugar.
Which we all know is bad for you, right?
Sugar alcohols have been used for years in diabetic candy, because of the low effects on blood sugar. I didn't find any studies on them. I think it's because of the self limiting effect.
It's like people eating too many carrots. There is a case on record of a man eating a huge amount of carrots and tomatoes. The only ill effect was that his skin turned orange temporarily. The long term ill effects are not known because most people just don't eat that much of the substance, be it carrots or malitol.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:47

Stats: 228/205/145 Female 5'5 inches
BF:dont know
Progress: 28%

I wish i read this before i ate atkins bars and caramel nut chews and low carb bread...i went to the hospital twice in the past week with bad bloating, stomach cramps, vomiiting and diarehea.

You say alot of people have this problem? Could i live with the side effects, no way, i will NEVER buy low carb foods again.....i stick with real food...

It was very scaary.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 09:35

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

the maltitol. . .causes a lactose attack to my body. . .and a lactaid clears it up. . .these attacks are painful enough for me to leave the malitol sitting on the shelf at the store. I am thinking this is more of cramping symptom rather than a slow poisioning. . .sort of like how my daughter does homework or tests. . .the minute she comes to something she can't do (for me it's can't digest) she stops everything and starts complaining (or my system stops digesting and starts cramping) . . .redawn
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:27

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Newmom2003,

The low carb bread, even the bars, should not have caused any of the trouble you had. It's the candy (and watch the low carb ice cream, even brands with Splenda may have added SAs), all of which carry warnings about the nasty side effects that include gas/pain/runs. Always check serving size. You must be very sensitive or else you over endulged to have ended up at the hospital. I know the first time I had RS truffles I ate the recomended serving, no more because I had seen warnings on the board. Well, three truffles was two too many for me. Now I may have two or even three pieces in a day but I spread them out. If I eat two it's when I know I'll be alone and not blow anyone away.

Don't swear off all low carb products although don't rely on them either. They will hurt you more in the pocket book than the stomach.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:45

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

fitznoski, I have been getting the runs terribly and have been discussing this on the forum in another thread, but do you know if the Advantage bars contains huge quantities of SAs, and - I just placed an order for La Tortillas online - will these likely cause stomach troubles - and what about Atkins Bake Mix? I was going to try it...I'm confused. help?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:53

Stats: 265/238/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

I have just recently started adding Atkin Products to my lifestyle. I to have read the packages that have the warnings about pains, gas and the runs. Since I easily gets the runs by allowing myself to have 1/2 the portion it is easier on me bathroom wize. Hope this may help someone else. Laura
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:00
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

AJ, sugar alcohols are used to replace sugar in sweet things. Although there may be exceptions, you generally only have to worry about them in sweet dessert-type products. LaTortillas do not contain sugar alcohols. The low carb count of the tortillas is a result of lots of fiber. That's a good thing! Enjoy them.

I, like other posters, have found that I can have 1 or 2 pieces of Sugar Free Reeses or other chocolate a day. It does not give me intestinal problems in this quantity, but I suspect it may slow my weight loss.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:37

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hilary, do the Advantage Bars contain SAs or is it only sucralose that is used to sweeten them? Because I don't eat the others.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 13:24

BF:

AJ,

If you ever want to see what is in somthing low carb, go to www.netrition.com. They list the ingredients for everything they sell. Here's what in a Chocolate Decadance Advantage bar:

Ingredients: Protein Blend (Soy protein isolate, Hydrolyzed collagen, whey protein isolate. calcium/sodium caseinate), glycerin, polydextrose (Fiber), chocolate pieces (maltitol, alkalized chocolate Liquor, cocoa butter, lecithin, vanilla extract), cocoa Powder, cocoa butter, water, natural coconut oil (Non-hydrogenated), cellulose, olive oil, lecithin, Natural and artificial flavor, maltodextrin, guar gum, Citric acid (flavor enhancer), sucralose (splenda brand Non-nutritive sweetener). Nutrition Blend- Calcium (Tricalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate), magnesium (Magnesium oxide), vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D-3, vitamin B-1 (thiamin), vitamin B-2 (riboflavin), Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalamin), natural vitamin E (acetate), niacin, Biotin, pantothenic acid, zinc, folic acid, chromium (Chromium chelate), vitamin K, selenium. This product may contain traces of nuts.

As you can see there is some maltitol in the chocolate pieces. Most of the bars didn't list any SA other than splenda. Glycerin can stall some people but I haven't heard of any stomach complaints from it.

Sometimes it is something else that bothers a person. My Mom can't use flax seed meal in anything or she's in the bathroom all day. I eat tons of it just to make a trip twice a week. Soy products seem to give me gas. Has anyone else noticed that?

As Hillary noted, the tortillas don't have any SA added.

Barb
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 13:49

BF:
Progress:

Redawn and others,

What is a lactose response? Thanks, carma
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 21:10

Stats: 228/205/145 Female 5'5 inches
BF:dont know
Progress: 28%

The only "candy" i had was the Atkins peanut butter cups, they came 3 in a pack so i ate all three. Other than that i have been eating the Advantage bars and low carb bread, and the pancake syrup(i put some on my eggs) .
I stoped and started again so i know that it is ALL the low carb stuff that landed me in the hospital with severe abdominal cramping/vommitting/diareahea. No where on any package did it say that this was a potential side effect.

#15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 21:41

BF:
Lightbulb It was the syrup!

Newmom2003

SF pancake syrup is the WORST (unless it's Da Vincis which is made with splenda). It's all SAs. I tried it once and threw the bottle out. MUCH harder on the body than the candy is. (OK, I like to have pancakes (flax seed based) with my syrup, not the other way around. I did use a lot). I don't really care for the taste of the Da Vinci syrup but at least it doesn't threaten to blow me apart.

Why are you convinced it is ALL low carb products? Most products don't have anything in them that will cause distress, esp the bread.

I bet you over did the syrup. That stuff is nasty. And additional SAs from candy on a day with syrup could easily have pushed you over the edge.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Give the non-sweet low carb products a chance. La Tortillas have been a life saver around here. DH loves making wraps with the tortillas. I have about one piece of the Arnold Low Carb bread a week, usually with fried eggs or a little peanut butter. It's great. Have to always have toast though because we go through it so slowly we have to keep it in the freezer. We also use the bars for breakfast sometimes.

Just don't be too hasty. When determining food sensitivity you have to eliminate one type at a time, not whole categories. Kind of like when babies start on solids. One food at a time so you can see if the baby has any problem handling it.