Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Nov-07-09, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/278/220 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

hmm I looked for the Triple Didgits Club and couldn't find it. Maybe I looked in the wrong places or something.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-07-09, 09:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Try here http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49. It's a whole separate forum.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Nov-07-09, 10:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegotdis
Hi jschwab. Thanks for helping and giving new idea's, but truth is my doc said to stay out of water and steam rooms cause they will raise my blood pressure. I don't know much about blood pressure but I do know a high reading can be really dangerous. She says to walk. I am thinking to try lifting again. I hope its ok but when I lay flat, I get so much pressure in my head I have to sit up. My ankles stay swollen except when i run, but I won't be running until I lose at least 75lbs. I have got to try something to get this weight off. I learned not too long ago that the pills the doc has me on, makes me gain weight. It is why I know running will help the most, but I won't run anymore for a while. But thank you.

Hey Reggie!!
I've found that walking can be very boring and very slow..compared to running that is. That is why I suggested that you go to a local animal shelter and volunteer to walk a dog.
I've got 3 dogs and am a professional dog walker....so I'm out there walking all the time. Do you have a dog?
Another thing about walking is to pick a destination....it helps to have a place that you are going to get to and then turn around and come back. Maybe a local coffee shop?

Here's the thing that you need to get....the exercise won't get you losing all the weight, eating a good low carb plan will do that...the walking supports the plan but doesn't get the weight loss happening like eating according to a plan does.
So pick a plan and follow it, get a book and start reading....learn how to do low carb properly and walk.
You say that the doctor has you on meds that make you gain weight? Steroids?
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Nov-07-09, 12:44

BF:

Wow!! You people are so(please don't get any crazy ideals from the word i use) Loving! It's like all love here! Thank you! I love all of you!
jschwab i clicked on the link you sent and wow that first story is really uplifting. I went to reply and lost it. I will get it back and will be sure to join. Thank you!
judynyc: I so hear what you're saying, and I will get right on a low carb plan. Walking will be something easy for me to follow and stick with. Due to the accidents I can't drive or work so everywhere I want to go,I'm walking. When I need to go somewhere my pa or mom takes me. The fact that I could run is the reason as to why I am with all this new weight. I just knew it would all go away once I would be able to run. My legs and head say different now. My run just isn't the same as before. I'm hoping that maybe if I lose bout 30 or 40 pounds everything will work on the same cord with me and for me. My doc has me on a blood pressure pill that I must take daily. She's even talking about doubling it. Then theres a pill for moods, which I don't feel I need cause I'm always happy. Then a water pill and head pills.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 19:53

BF:

i was in walmart today and another guy over heard me talking to my mom about starting a low cal diet. He said to do the atkins, sounded good to me so I will start it tomarrow!
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Nov-09-09, 22:58
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
i was in walmart today and another guy over heard me talking to my mom about starting a low cal diet. He said to do the atkins, sounded good to me so I will start it tomarrow!

Great Reggie!! Get the book and start reading....its best to do this by learning how to do it correctly when you begin.

Happy reading!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 12:24

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Reggie -- another note on the walking, I agree with Janine -- the ankle weights aren't the best idea because they are hard on the joints. Just using your body weight for now should be enough.

For more of a challenge once you build up, you can also walk where there are hills, going up hill will definitely be more challenging than just walking but easy on your brain If you have access to a treadmill, you could also do intervals or hill programs on that as well.

If you can get the Atkins book that would be great, otherwise you can use their website but please beware of what we call all their 'frankenfoods' -- meaning all the low-carb foods like low-carb bread, pasta, bars, etc....it is best to stay away from them and do the diet as the good Dr. A planned it -- mostly fresh whole low-carb (and high-fat) foods.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 14:48

BF:

Ok to read up on it sounds like a good thing to do. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I will do so now. The ankle weights, I don't know what it is but when I wear them my ankles go down. I'm hoping that they stay down with all the walking I have been doing. I have a 2.6, a 3.2, and a 4.6 mile coarse that I do daily, I think I'm going to start doing 2 a day. I wish I could go back to bootcamp for 3 months. When I came out of there I was looking good and feeling good, and I maintained the same look throughout the Marine corp. Time I got out the weight came back. I wish I could show you pics while I was in the corp and show you all me now. I tried to put some pics up on this site but it says my pics are too big. I don't understand that but ok. It is what it is. I will see how it goes without the ankle weights, cause LORD knows I don't want anything else going wrong with me. So thanx for the look out!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 15:00

BF:

If your pics are "too big" it means that the size is too large for the server....you just need to scale them down in whatever image program you are using. You could try resizing them (like literally change the size to something smaller), or try saving them as a .jpg (jpeg) image and it should cut the digital size down significantly.

Good luck and definitely remember to join us in the TDC (triple digits club) for some amazing support!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-10-09, 18:17

BF:

When you resize them, the biggest number has to be 400 or less so if your pixel size is 440x200 you will be good, but not 450x300.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 13:15

BF:

ok so I didn't get the pic thing right yet. yesterday i was told to make sure i ate fiber. my question is, why should I worry about fiber when im trying to lose weight? i mean im just trying to get this weight off. Feel me right?

jschwab i thought i did join the TDC, am i doing something wrong?

i been doing alot of walking, wats gud wit yall?
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 14:50

BF:

Quote:
yesterday i was told to make sure i ate fiber. my question is, why should I worry about fiber when im trying to lose weight? i mean im just trying to get this weight off. Feel me right?

People are going to have a lot of opinions/advice/whatever about what you are doing, especially when you low carb. If you really want to read up on all the misinformation about fat, fiber, exercise, carbs, etc. you could pick up the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, he blows the lid off of a lot of conventional diet "wisdom"...otherwise, just a summary is that the studies that have been done saying that we need 30g of fiber in our diets to ward off things like diverticulitis, colon cancer, etc....they aren't well respected, and actually there is evidence (please don't just take my word for this!) that eating a lot fiber like in seeds actually CAUSES those diseases.

Quote:
i been doing alot of walking, wats gud wit yall?

I run (sorry!) and I play tennis, a lot

Last edited by brpssm : Fri, Nov-13-09 at 15:28.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Nov-13-09, 14:55

BF:

"jschwab i thought i did join the TDC, am i doing something wrong?"

You just need to post that you are joining. You won't get email updates or anything - just keep checking back there and if you want to post about your story or particular challenges, just go ahead and start a new thread. People there are VERY helpful. You would probably get alot of answers about fiber there, too.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 09:09

BF:

OK JSCHWAB I will do that. I want to get emails and updates tho, is there any way to get them? I have a blackberry tour(the best) with VZW or verizon, which is also the best. So if there is any way, please let me know and if not then I will keep checking back on here. Like you said, people on here are very helpful. So I would like to hear or read anything coming from here. If the plan works out like I'm thinking it should, it won't be long before I'm running again.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 09:28

BF:

Quote:
OK JSCHWAB I will do that. I want to get emails and updates tho, is there any way to get them? I have a blackberry tour(the best) with VZW or verizon, which is also the best. So if there is any way, please let me know and if not then I will keep checking back on here. Like you said, people on here are very helpful. So I would like to hear or read anything coming from here. If the plan works out like I'm thinking it should, it won't be long before I'm running again.

You can do it, but personally I forget how. Maybe in your UserCP? I think you can only subscribe to specific threads, though, like you could subscribe to this one and anytime someone posts it will send you an email. You mght also have restrictions as a new member. I would post in the technical forum.