Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your favorite cardio video series!
The Firm 88 20.90%
Kathy Smith 26 6.18%
Richard Simmons 39 9.26%
Denise Austin 24 5.70%
Tamilee Webb 8 1.90%
Buns of Steel Series 6 1.43%
Gilad 10 2.38%
Taebo 90 21.38%
Kathy Ireland 0 0%
Cindy Crawford 6 1.43%
Jane Fonda 8 1.90%
Other 155 36.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 421. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 14:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 151/147/130
BF:
Progress: 19%

I put in my vote for Tae Bo. The advanced version is a killer. You get a great cardio and toning workout without weights.

T
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-02, 19:07

Plan: CAD and Atkins
Stats: 165/125/? Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 117%

This is my first post here and I'm so glad it's on this thread. I've been a video exerciser since the mid 1980's. I've been doing the Firm most of these years (I have almost all their videos) with fantastic results. A few years ago I branched out to Cathe Friedrich. I cross train with The Firm and Cathe. I also have a few others...Fitprime (a new company by the original creator of The Firm, Anna Benson), Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout, and Christy Taylor. I have approximately 90 videos and I do them all for lots of variety.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:24

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default Kathy Smith Kickboxing!!!

I see a couple people mentioned Kathy Smith's kickboxing, I love that tape. It's the first home video workout that I was able to "Get into" enough to use religiously.

I lost 40 pounds and totally toned myself with it last year. Needless to say I had some personal shake ups that hindered my workout schedule, I gained 30 pounds back and I haven't been able to really get back on the horse.

I'm gonna go dust off Kathy and get back to work, TONIGHT.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 15:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Talking Ok I'm a whimp

I love my sweating to the oldies tapes by Richard Simmons.. they are so much fun and my kids join in. They are great on days when you don't feel like going outside.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-02, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 209/162.6/130 Female 5'0"
BF:?/33.9%/21%
Progress: 59%

TaeBo definitely. I've been doing the basic 25m tape 5-6 days a week for the last 3 weeks and I just started the 60m advanced on the weekend, plan to rotate between the two.

Great workout either way you do them
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/145/120
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default THE FIRM

I recently started the Firm. Man, these tapes are so great!! I just got a DVD that is over an hour long but you can program it anyway you want and wittle it down a bit if you're not up to the whole hour (I'm not yet). I do the upper body video tape on one day and the lower body the next then the cardio sculpt DVD on the next. You can get the tapes on Ebay for cheap and just use your own stool (rather than buy theirs - it's pricey!). Walmart has inexpensive weights.

Heather
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 276.5/270.0/248 Female 67.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

The FIRM baby!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 23:47

Stats: 282/269/130
BF:started Nov 30 '02
Progress: 9%

my absolute favorite is the Power 90 videos from beach body.com. They promote a different kind of diet, but the results are visible and the workouts are doable. Il like it that you can see a time down and that it is easy to do and coached really well. They have other videos as well - I hope to do Slim in Six when I get closer to my goal weight - happy video hunting .

#39   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: Combo Low Carb
Stats: 182/155/140
BF:Don't wanna know!
Progress: 64%
Smile I just bought Power 90!

Tricia, how long have you been doing P-90? I agree--it looks really common-sense and do-able. Do you use the resistance bands or weights? The diet is different, but still "relatively" low carb if you follow the top 2 tiers. They do have some exceptions, like bananas and raisins, etc. but I'll just eliminate those that I know will give me trouble. I'm really interested in your opinion, since you're not affiliated with bb.com!!! Do you take advantage of the website support? I'm starting tomorrow!

Kelley
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 19:05

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Default Cross Country Skiing - Worldwide

Nordic Trak has been my exercise method of choice for the past 15 years. It is a great workout, and completely adjustable to the individual and to personal attitudes for a particular day.

I have a series of video tapes, some from Nordic Trak, others from skiing and climbing clubs, which give me a virtual tour of ski areas and mountain climbing while I do my workout.

When you can't get outside to do the real thing, this is a great substitute.

One of the best things about Nordic Trak, for me, is how well and how quickly it strengthens the lower back, even while burning lots of fat and building cardio endurance. Good for us old guys!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 19:35

Plan: CAD and Atkins
Stats: 165/125/? Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 117%

I just thought of something that would be really cool and I bet it's the exercise rage of the future. Virtual exercise videos. You're hooked up to an exercise machine that simulates some kind of sport like skiing and workout to a video that challenges you on the virtual slopes. You can go fast, slow, go around trees, mogules etc. etc.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 21:02

Stats: 282/269/130
BF:started Nov 30 '02
Progress: 9%

Hi Kelly,
I have been doing it for 3 weeks now - there is a huge difference in my ability to bend and run and I can do the push ups now - I a getting stronger and have lost inches - I still have a long way to go, but I truly like the program and plan to stay with it to day 90 ad beyond. I use 5 pound weights and take their fat burning vitamins as my vitamin supplement. I bought the resistance bands,but I like the weights. I like the DVD, but I also have the Videos. If you like structure and something that is challenging yet doable as well as fast - they have a motto of from power to shower in under an hour. Let me know if you have any other questions. I see that you have been doing well on the Atkins plan - keep it up!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:46

Stats: 207/184/145
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default workout videos

I too have a membership to the gym which I should use more often. But when I want a change of pace I like Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies #2 I like dancing to the music. I also like Denise Austin and for weight work I like Rachel Mclish.

I would love to try the taebo videos they look like a lot of fun & work and my daughter would probably do it with me to keep in shape for basketball.

Instead of buying them right off the bat I think I will go to the video store and rent them or the library. If I like them then I will buy them.

Happy exercising
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 22:23

Plan: CAD
Stats: 228/128/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Interesting thread. I'm almost at goal and have to admit
I do not exercise at all. I would like to start and have
been looking at exercise videos (I own ZERO exercise
videos). Also I saw a Pilates set at Sears that had thick
rubbery clear blue bands, a fitness ball, a mat, and a
video. All for around $40. Thinking about it.
Taebo looks fun but my living room is not huge and I am
afraid I'd kick the TV off.
Anyone have the Pilates set?
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Dec-24-02, 08:58
Registered Member

Plan: Combo Low Carb
Stats: 182/155/140
BF:Don't wanna know!
Thumbs up Pilates

Shelia, I don't have the Sears pilates set, but I have used the ball, mat, etc. that comes with the kit. It's pretty amazing what can be done with the exercise ball! Does it come with a resistance tube as well? I use that a lot and it's just like lifting weights, but it "travels" well. You're so close to goal that I'll bet exercising will really tone you nicely. I feel so much better now that I exercise, but I don't see much muscle definition because there's still too much fat over my muscles, LOL!
Kelley