Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 11:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default what the heck? A lie on the box??

So I went to the store with my son (23) and he was getting his food for the week (he recently started eating LC). He works construction and has a very busy morning.... so he thought he would give the atkins shakes a try to drink on his drive to work. While in that isle he noticed the boxes of bars.... front of box says 2 carbs each.... "wow" he said and "maybe I'll get these for a treat".... well I looked at the label..... 16 carbs per bar!!!! What the heck??? false advertising or what? Needless to say.... the box went right back on the shelf.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 11:57
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Were there sugar alcohols? That would be a reason why there were 16 listed on the back and only 2 on the front.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 12:20

Plan: Atkins-Phase 2 OWL
Stats: 230/172.2/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 64%

Yep, they subtract fiber and sugar alcohols to get their net.. It is a good idea to stay away from them til maintenance.. If even then
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 12:38

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Atkins subtracts fiber, sugar alcohols, AND glycerin (which is not separated on the nutrition label, nor is it included with sugar alcohols) to derive their "net carbs."

I have been successful using Atkins bars at times, but never more than 1 per day (and even then, not EVERY day), and I specifically only choose the ones with high protein as well (I like the chocolate peanut butter bars - something like 19g protein and also some fat in there). The ones that are like granola bars? NOT happening.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 12:48

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Good to know! Thanks for the explanation.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-11, 20:17

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 420/275.6/189 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think the only sugar alcohol that can truly be 100% deducted is erythritol (0 GI, cannot be digested at all) but all sugar alcohols, by labeling laws, can be deducted 100%

I believe Atkins bars use maltitol which, I think, have about 75% the GI of sugar, so 3 calories per gram instead of 4, so a bar like that would likely actually have 12g carbs