Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:33

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 194/180.5/160 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Tuesday July 12

Arms/Backi/Abs

Curls using cables
Warmup: 60 lbs
Set 1-4: 130 lbs

Reverse curls using cables
Warmup: 45 lbs
Set 1: 90 lbs
Set 2-3: 80 lbs

Pulldowns using Pulleys
Warmup: 60 lbs
Set 1-3: 130 lbs
Set 4: 120 lbs

Seated rowing (or some such)
Warmup: 50 lbs
Set 1-4: 130 lbs

Pulldown machine (radial)
Warmup: 110 lbs
Set 1-4: 210 lbs

Crunches on bench
Warmup: none
Set 1-4: 25 reps each

Leg raises on the dip machine
Warmup: none
Set 1-4: 15 reps, raised knees to face

Cardio: 1 mile walking
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:35

BF:
Default Wednesday July 13

Chest/Shoulders

Chest/Shoulders:

Benchpress
Warmup 70 lbs
Set 1-4 190 lbs

Flies
Set 1-4 130 lbs

Military
Warmup 50 lbs
Set 1 90 lbs
Set 2-4 70 lbs

Standing Delt
Warmup: 20 lbs
Set 1-4: 40 lbs

Tri extensions
Warmup 50 lbs
Set 1-2 130 lbs
Set 3: 120 lbs
Set 4: 110 lbs

Pushdowns
Set 1-3: 180 lbs

Cardio: 1 mile walked
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 07:46

BF:
Default Thursday August 14 to Thursday 21

Wow, I have been bad at keeping this up lately. I will combine all of the missed entries into this one, it has been an exciting week.

Thursday, August 14
**Power Outage**
So with the lack of electricity to power the subways, I was forced to walk the 6.1 miles home. It wasn't the most intense of workouts. It took us (my wife, her boss, and myself) two hours to walk home . . . and we killed three 6-packs on the way LOL. I didn't go to the gym because they weren't open, plus I was a tad drunk.

Friday, August 15
Half of the city was on, the other half was off. We got power back on in the early morning, but my gym (8 blocks away) didn't get power until the afternoon. They never opened.

Saturday, August 16
My wife worked this day, so I thought I would do something productive. I went down to the American Red Cross (who is also my employer) and volunteered. They put me to work manning the phones. All-in-all, an interesting day. After I got home, I did my standard arms/back/abs workout. It was a particularly good day because I increased the weight on half the exercises and had a REALLY intense workout.

Sunday, August 17
Things were getting back to normal with the power, but I had acquired a new quest to find a new apartment ASAP. I had a great chest workout in the morning and walked all over creation viewing apartments. Nothing struck us as ideal.

Monday, August 18
After work, my wife and I met up and viewed three more apartments, still nothing we both thought was great. We did see an apartment in Spanish Harlem that I loved because it was simply massive. My wife decided that the neighborhood made her extremely uncomfortable. Particularly as a waitress at a restaurant that closes at 2 AM. No workout, but many miles were walked.

Tuesday, August 19
Again, a repeat of the last two days. We did a ton more apartment viewing on this day. We saw a great apartment that we both loved . . . along with the other 10 or so people viewing it at the open house. We filled out an application. No workout, but many miles were walked.

Wednesday, August 20
The owner of the apartment called to let us know we were their first choice for moving there. THE STRESS BEGINS HERE!! We needed to find a co-signer, come up with $3,000 and do a ton of other stuff inside of 30 hours. I left work early to sprint home to see what I could do with the bank. I also began faxing people like mad. We settled on using my Dad, but as it turns out he doesn't make enough (who ever hear of the requirement that the co-signer earn over 100K per year . . .sheesh). A ton more phone calls were made before we lined up my brother-in-law as the secondary co-signer.

Thusday, August 21
Another stressful day. I needed to get ahold of my brother-in-law to fax him documents he needed to get filled out, signed and notarized, but he was unreachable for almost the entire day. I asked everyone I know to borrow money for a few days, but only come up with $1400 of the $3,000 needed by 7:30 PM. My parents had offered to help the previous night, but as it turned out they only had $400 available in liquid funds. After a furious day, we were able to get a cash advance from my wife's credit card at 5:58 . . . minutes before the bank closed . . . but had to spend an additional thirty minutes on hold on the phone (inside the closed bank) while my wife tried to convince her credit card company that she was in fact herself. My brother-in-law called at 4:45 to say that he had received the documents and was running to a notary at that time. The leasing agency had closed by this time, so he was faxing them to where I work . . . on the other side of town. We pulled it off and now have a 4 room (plus kitchen and bathroom) apartment on Park Avenue off 97th St in Manhattan. I didn't workout this evening and even went so far as to blow the diet in my celebratory meal of Fajitas and Margaritas.

Last edited by Vonhinx : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 07:49.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:07

BF:
Default Another update

Well, it has again been a few since I have posted, but I am now in a position to start this up again.

Friday August 22: I was starting to feel sick. I think the huge amounts of stress weakened my immune system enough that it allowed the big blow-out

Saturday August 23- Sept 2: I was really, really sick through much of this period. My wife was leaving on Sept 2 and we had an entire apartment to move. I did a TON of heavy lifting, carrying boxes and furniture down 4 floors and up 3. We managed to move everything but the largest pieces of furniture. Sometime before Sept 30 I need to finish moving these last pieces with a U-Haul. During this period I blew my the hell out of Atkins and didn't do any organized lifting at all. We moved the bed into the new place on Monday August 24 and have been living out of that apartment since. This is what made it rough to continue the diet, eating out three meals per day . . . plus I was sick. Give me chicken noodle soup and saltines damn it!

Sept 1: My wife departed on her next 2 month long adventure out of state acting while I stayed at home to start putting the apartment together. I continued my bad eating habits and not-working out because I was being lazy and just wanted to work on the apartment. We had signed up for memberships at a new gym, but we didn't go before she left. They have a pool, maybe I will do some swimming as cardio.

Sept 3 to Sept 5: Some friends of mine visited from upstate. I continued to eat badly.

Sept 6: My friends were still in town, but I managed to go to the gym a do a chest workout, details on that some other time. It is about to become my new routine.

Sept 7: While moving some more stuff into the apartment, I had my backpack stolen. I used this as an excuse not to workout (no backpack, no music, spent 2 hours waiting for the police/filling out reports).

Sept 8: I used the same bad excuse to skip a workout again. I did buy a new backpack and an MP3 player later in the evening.

Sept 9: I worked overtime, but managed to not use that as an excuse to continue eating badly and not working out. It started badly enough, but I hit the grocery store and bought a load of meat on my way home. Then I did an arms/back workout later on. Things might be looking better.

Sept 10: Here I am. I am completely on the diet still and am starting to feel the first tinges of carb-deprivation (lightheadedness). I intend to work over tonight and to do chest. We will see what happens.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 07:21

BF:
Default Wednesday 9/10/03

Bravo, I made it to the gym again. That is two days of gym, one day of Atkins, I might just be back into the swing of things again.

I did chest/shoulders
Chest/Shoulders

Chest/Shoulders:

Benchpress
Warmup 70 lbs
Set 1 170 lbs
Set 2-4 190 lbs

Flies
Set 1-4 110 lbs

Military
Warmup 50 lbs
Set 1-4 90 lbs

Seated Delt
Warmup: ? lbs
Set 1-4: ? lbs

Tri extensions
Warmup 60 lbs
Set 1 120 lbs
Set 2-3: 110 lbs
Set 4: 100 lbs

Pushdowns:
I am saddened to report that my new gym doesn't have this machine at all. I am going to have to do dips instead. Bleh!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 07:35

BF:
Default Bleh!

I seem to be having problems getting back onto the bandwagon. On Thursday, my work had a pizza lunch for all employees. I not only blew the diet on two pieces there, but went back down a couple hours later when an e-mail went out that there was pizza left. Three pieces total consumed . . . plus a apple muffin as dessert. Already on track to blow the day, I skipped going to the gym. Admittedly it was legs day and I walked the three miles home.

Friday 9/12: This is my normal day to not go to the gym, but I made things worse by blowing the diet again.

Saturday 9/13: Blew the diet, skipped the workout.

Sunday 9/14: Blew the diet, skipped the workout.

Monday 9/15: Here I am. I am extremely annoyed at myself, so we will see if that helps at all. I ended the crappy cheat frenzy (I hope) about 2 PM yesterday. I had a salad and some chicken for dinner. I had eggs for breakfast. I brought tuna to work for lunch. I have every intention of working out tonight. We shall see.

Last edited by Vonhinx : Mon, Sep-15-03 at 07:39.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:24

BF:

Still not staying committed.

I have been blowing the diet off and on repeatedly and not making it to the gym very often.

Work outs:

Friday 9/19: arms
Sunday 9/21: chest

Tonight I need to swing by the grocery store and the gym. We will see what happens.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-03, 07:56

BF:
Default 9/23/03

Well, yesterday was better. Waking up and seeing that suprise on the scale was a good motivator. Yesterday I ate well, more or less, and somehow worked out.

The negative: 2 glasses of OJ (instead of the one I allow myself)
The negative: Excessive amounts of cheese
The positive: Caloric intake waaaay down to around 2,000
The positive: Despite my attempts to justify not going, I worked out
The positive: I walked home from work

The details:
Last night was arms/back

Curls with pulleys:
Set 1: 120 lbs
Set 2: 130 lbs
Set 3: 120 lbs
Set 4: 110 lbs

Reverse curls with pulleys:
Sets 1-4: Skipped

Pulldowns:
Set 1: 110 lbs
Set 2-4: 120 lbs

Rows with pulleys:
Set 1: 110 lbs
Set 2-4: 120 lbs

Radial Pull-down machine:
Warmup: 110 lbs
Set 1: 210 lbs
Set 2-4: 230 lbs

Cardio: 3.2 miles walked
Cardio: 0.7 miles ran
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:42

BF:
Default Wednesday, 9/24/03

I failed to go to the gym, but I did walk home (3.2 miles in about an hour). I also managed to stay on the plan . . . in a way. I only took in 32 carbs, but managed to consume 3133 calories . . . yikes! I need to reduce both numbers, but that will likely not be happening tonight, I am meeting a buddy for Chinese. I MUST go to the gym afterward though.