Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 08:05
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Scared to ask...has anyone tried LFat/LCal for a week, then back to Induction?

I'm down right scared to ask this question. I hope no one will bash me for asking. But...I'm thinking of taking Mr. Atkins up on something I read in the DANR book. He states that you can switch to a LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switch back to INDUCTION and supposedly get similar results as the first time.

I am losing so there really isn't a "so-called" stalled. I've lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks. This is where I may get bashed... I just want to lose a little faster.

I know! I shouldn't care how fast I lose, I should concentrate on my new WOL and feel good that I'm making a change and losing, however slow it is. I know that. But, I still think I could lose a little faster than 1.25 pounds / week! I mean, I weigh 221 pounds!!!!! I'm not 10 pounds from goal! I want to lose AT LEAST 2 POUNDS PER WEEK! I know, I'm terrible! But I want to boost my program into high gear.

Has anyone ever tried the LOW FAT/CALORIE diet for a week or so, then switched back to induction? If so, what was your experience? Would you do it again?

I definitely feel that I could stay in control switching "temporarily" to the Low fat/calorie diet. I don't plan on eating ANY SUGAR at all. I love that SUGAR has been eliminated from my diet and system and I don't want to sabatoge that. Thanks for your help in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 08:28
Contributing Member

BF:
Default The "reversal diet"

That's what Dr Atkins calles it...the "reversal diet." It's mentioned on page 286 of the DANDR book as a solution for people in my position, with a slow down in weight loss. I think I fit into that category.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 09:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rachel did a "reveral diet" back in the Fall when she was truly stalled - weeks with no inches or scale loss. It is fully documented in her Journal (r.mines) if you're interested. As I recall the results were less than spectacular, but she did do a lot of research and homework for those interested in following in her footsteps.

My thoughts here; consistency is very important for continued fat loss. Mixing things up when your body could very well be in the process of getting used to LC eating could be dangerous. We'd all like faster results. Unfortunately our bodies are in control, as much as we would like to think otherwise.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 09:43
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Unfortunately our bodies are in control, as much as we would like to think otherwise.

I actually think it's quite fortunate that our bodies are in control. It gives us an opportunity to learn how to work with our bodies, rather than against them.

Which brings me to wonder, are you getting enough food and enough vegetables and water? I checked your journal but there wasn't enough information there to give you any advice.

Remember that low-carbing is long term. If you develop good eating habits right from the start and embrace low-carbing as a lifestyle instead of a diet and learn more about yourself and your relationship to your body and to the food you eat and work on any issues you have surrounding behaviors, addictions and the way you think about yourself...

...you'll be much further ahead than someone who is hopping on and off diets hoping for the quick miracle fix.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 10:02

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

you're not terrible. you're just human.

I went through such a phase and I'm grateful I'm out of it now. All I can do is echo the advice above about patience and letting your body do the thinking for you.

I can also tell you that when I tried a CKD --cyclical ketogenic diet--that involves carbing up one day per week, I regained weight that I have never lost back...and it's been almost a year since I did that. I had been losing at a pound per week before that. I've never gotten back to the weight that I was at when I started the CKD (though I'm in the same clothes).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it...I wish I could go back and tell myself that. All I can do, tho, is tell you.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 10:14
Contributing Member

BF:

THanks for the info everyone! I guess I'm wondering if I should try the KISS version of ATkins. I wonder if that would be more advantageous than the reversal diet?

Truly I just want to lose about 10 more pounds in about a month....then I could handle the slow rate I've had. I think? I mean, may be I'll never like this slow process. I have a good 95 pounds more to lose and that means the year 2004 before I probably see that. Realistically. Especially since I want to try to get pregnant this fall.

How truly depresssssssinnnnnnnggggggg! I mean, uhhhhh!

Last edited by In_Control : Sun, Jun-02-02 at 10:51.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 15:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Sure. KISS is low-carbing at it's finest, but what have you been eating and drinking? You may not even be low-carbing properly or have been a yo-yo dieter or be on medications.

Don't start taking desperate actions until you know that you have done everything possible to low-carb in a way that works for you.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 11:10

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

I would hang in there if I were you.

Your body is adjusting, and you will begin to lose again. You may say that you will be able to regain control, but I've seen it too many times where most of us can't!

You come this far, and like all of us, didn't put the weight on overnight, it isn't going to come off overnight either.

This is a WOL not a diet.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 195/177/150
BF:30%/27%/21%
Progress: 40%

I can relate to everything you are feeling and contemplating. I tried a LC rotation diet I found on this site. It was an experiment alternating 4 different types of LC plans. All it did was make me appreciate my "regular" plan. The fat fast and lean fast days were miserable with a capital "M". Before you do anything, make sure you are ready to face hunger pangs.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:33
Registered Member

Plan: Lotta Chicken Plan
Stats: 275/243.5/175
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Fat Fast

I have found that a "Fat Fast" is like dieting while abiding by the LC WOE.

I dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I then couldn't stand it any longer, but it never came back on, because when I came off the fat fast, I just went back to LCing.

What I did was what I called The Wade Boggs diet.....Chicken. I went to the Aldi's and bought 6 bags of boneless skinless chicken breasts. After work I would grill up 3 or 4 chicken breasts, coating them liberally with some Jack Daniels Mesquite grilling sauce. I usually could finish them off. I was stuffed. I would also have a very large spinach salad topped with some "Light Done Right" dressing.

I also found 2 perfect foods. Philadelphia Free Cream Cheese & Heilman's Mayo in the green label. 2 grams of fat coupled with 2 grams of carbs. No Fat Minimal Carbs! So I can keep the fat grams down and still top some chicken breasts with a little mayo. I also ate more Tuna salad than ever. I can put 3 cans in a bowl and eat it all. Salmon, Turkey, Shrimp, other fish.

Weight just fell off me.

Hey!!! I'm stoked for another run at the fat fast. I love grilling chicken breasts and smothering them with The green Tabasco sauce.

Can't comment about counting calories, but the fat fast was effective for me.

Deisel10
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:48
Contributing Member

BF:
Default I read and will re-read!!!

Gosh, great info Diesel!!! Thanks!

CONGRATULATIONS on a job WELL DONE too!

And thanks for all the ideas on how to make it successful too. With Karen's help I realized that my current menu is too full of things that are slowing me down. (i.e., Keto shakes and cheese) I love the idea of the fat fast because then I'm still Lcing. I really don't want to break out of the LC WOE. My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I truly cannot think of a better present to myself than to lose 10 pounds! Not to mention but my hubby's bday is the day after mine.

Turning another year older is tough enough. But dropping some weight will turn my frown into a great big smile.

I'd love to hear how your 2nd fat fast goes. If you're planning it soon maybe we could do it together?

Thanks again! I love this forum!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 04:43
Registered Member

Plan: Lotta Chicken Plan
Stats: 275/243.5/175
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default In Control

Let's do it!

I want to drop this weight. I don't want to take 1oo years to do it.

Cheese was the ruin of all good things past. I would put cheese on everything, and gained weight.

I'm going to stock up on supplies today. Chicken breasts, tuna steaks, salmon, and shrimp.

New idea: Tartar Sauce made with the ultra light mayo. Life is Good.

Let's drop 10 before your birthday!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 06:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: In Control

Quote:
Originally posted by Deisel10
Let's drop 10 before your birthday!

You can do that by tomorrow if losing weight is all you're interested in. Just lob off an arm.

Nat
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:11

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

Hmm, I'd say losing weight (not fat, btw, but weight--muscle mass, bone mass, and worse) through extreme methods is only a "job well done" if the intended "job" was to risk one's health.

Slow weight loss is permanent weight loss. Anything over 1.5-2 pounds per week (after the initialy water/glycogen loss in any "diet") is seriously injurious to health and will inevitably lead to an eventual weight rebound.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 07:22

Plan: Back with Atkins, works b
Stats: 196/151/145 Female 5'6"
BF:28/26/
Progress: 88%

I'm with raz and nat on this one!!

This doesn't sound healthy to me, either of mind or body...

I haven't moved the scale for almost 2 weeks, but refuse to change my WOE just for a fast loss. This is a WOL for me, for health!!! I will lose, it will jsut take longer, but it will stay off.

A body will never get use to how it is supposed to be if you keep changing it or shocking it.

Oh and another thing, the "lite" stuff has more carbs in it than regular, so to sacrifice the fat, you are adding the carbs. I have read the Fat Fast section of the Atkins book, but if I am not mistaken it doesn't mean to fast from fat, it means to add fat in a very high proportion or am I waaaaaaaay wrong here?? I don't have it in from of me so I can't check...