Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 09:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My thoughts on appetite suppression is, nature will do it for you if you stay high protein, low carb. Personally, I wouldn't want to risk the possible side-effects of ephedra. I also have a lot of hoodia I bought before the prices skyrocketed, I might try that again, but to tell you the truth, I'm not having too much of an issue with hunger. And the hoodia didn't really seem to work for me that well. I tried 2 brands over many weeks, I'm not sure that I felt any effect from it. I know some people do though.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:10
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

From past experience (I'm drug free now, including my beloved ibuprofen) I LOOOOOOOVE ephedrine hcl. (not endorsing it, just saying my experience) I was a stimulant junkie (and have asthma) and loved how it made my lungs work better and how I could work out with more intensity. I didn't notice any appetite curbing...just more strength and energy, esp on really low cals. I used to get vasopro and a 200mg caffeine tablet and skip the aspirin.

I found travelling easier...mainly because there was so little I actually COULD eat, that I didn't have to eat much (or find much) in order to fulfil my nutritional requirements. A few low fat cheese strings here, 1/2 lb turkey breast with mustard and cucumber there... not ideal but I'm done for the day. (I never said anything about taste bud requirements)

Meg

Last edited by Meg_S : Tue, Jun-21-05 at 13:04.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:13
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

My hunger seems better today, I didn't get The Rumblies™ until about half an hour before I usually eat lunch (noon). I ate about 10 minutes early. We'll see if I last until 3:00 pm when I usually eat my afternoon snack. If not, I still have the beef jerky I brought "just in case"

Debbie
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 10:41

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Ive hearb about the ECA stack, but only ephedrine and caffeine? ALso, how do you still get products with ephedra? In doing research on the ECA stack, i heard excellent reviews. Have you noticed that the EC stack helps?

You might be able to find Bronkaid at your local pharmacy, but ordering it online is the easiest. I've had success with getting it (Vasopro) and caffeine from here (http://www.discountanabolics.com/). Recent studies have shown that aspirin only has a measurable effect on very obese people taking the stack. Anyone who is not very obese can take the aspirin, but it won't really do anything except chew up your stomach.

I don't know if it is causing my reduced appetite (that may be from all the protein), but I've been taking it since fall and this is the first school year that I have NOT gained weight into the mid 140's by May in a long time. And I've got a good energy boost while I'm on it.

Quote:
Vasopro: Ephedrine HCl 25mg................Bronchodilator
Guaifenesin 200mg..................Expectorant
WARNING:
Do not use this product unless a diagnosis of asthma has been made by a physician. Do not use if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, or difficulty in urination due to enlargement of the prostrate gland unless directed by a physician. Do not use this product if you have been hospitalized for asthma or if you are taking any prescription drug for asthma, unless directed by a physician. Do not continue to use this product, but seek medical assistance immediately if symptoms are not relieved within 1 hour or become worse. Some users of this product may experience nervousness, tremors, sleeplessness, nausea or loss of appetite. If these symptoms persist or become worse consult your physician. A persistent cough may be a sign of a serious condition. If cough persists for more than 1 week, tends to recur, or is accompanied by a fever, rash, or persistent headache, consult a physician. Do not take this product for persistent or chronic cough such as occurs with smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or where cough is accompanied by excessive mucus (phlegm) unless directed by a physician. In case of accidental overdose, seek professional assistance or contact a poison control center immediately. As with any drug, if you are pregnant or nursing a baby, seek the advice of a health professional before using this product. Do not use this product if you are presently taking any prescription drug without first consulting your doctor. KEEP THIS AND ALL DRUGS OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. DRUG INTERACTION PRECAUTION: Do not use this product if you are now taking a prescription containing Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI) (Certain drugs for depression, psychiatric or emotional conditions, Parkinson's disease) or 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you are uncertain whether your prescription drug contains an MAOI, consult a health professional before taking this product. Do not store above 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Protect from moisture.

Before I started taking EC I went to the doctor, had an EKG and an echocardiogram done, and made sure of my cardiac health before starting. I also don't have blood pressure problems (other than it being too low at times) or thyroid problems. Positive side effects for me are less nasal congestion and reduced vaginal dryness from the expectorant (I'm postmenopausal and not on HRT).

When I first started with EC I used 1/4 tablet for the first 3-4 days, then went to 1/2 for several days, and then to the full 25 mg tablet.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 11:49

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Is it true that they have overturned the ephedra ban?! Im looking online and finding several places in the USA selling the product.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 13:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Is it true that they have overturned the ephedra ban?! Im looking online and finding several places in the USA selling the product.

Supposedly, yes. However, I don't trust ephedra. I'd much rather have standardized dosing on a pharmaceutical product like ephedrine than guess about dosing on an herbal product. Ephedrine is the laboratory-produced version of the compound in the ephedra plant. It is the same exact molecule without the impurities that you find in an herbal product.

#112   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: psmf
Stats: 180/159/129 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default lightheaded

ok, guys, i am on my first day of this diet. i havent been hungry, really, and i think it will be easy to maintain for awhile. my only problem is confusion and lightheadedness. anyone else have this issue?
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo
ok, guys, i am on my first day of this diet. i havent been hungry, really, and i think it will be easy to maintain for awhile. my only problem is confusion and lightheadedness. anyone else have this issue?

Huh? What did you say?

Were you eating low carb before you started? Are you taking your potassium, magnesium, calcium, and eating salt? Are you drinking plenty of water?
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 15:47
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by admo

No issues with that at all. What were/are you eating?

Debbie
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 15:52
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, no issues here either. Hmmm... I'm thinking low blood sugar. Don't force it the first day, be sure you're eating enough and getting plenty of protein and veggies.
  #116   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 16:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

First day for me too!!!
Like Debbie, I could eat meat all day, no veggies at all, ah!
So I had two Omega 3 eggs this morning, and a chicken breast for lunch. It's 3pm and I am so hungry, I'm gonna have some canned salmon.
I think I gonna like this. This is really the food I enjoy most.
I'm so curious to see the weight loss tomorrow morning. I would fast forward this day if I could!
  #117   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 16:09

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Good going, Nancy. My metabolism has stalled for 2 years so I know what you mean..OTOH I am sure I shouldn't eat quite so much good sat fats that I was, due to calories.I may have to just face it..if something seems too good to be true (unlimited eating as long its LC) it probably is.

I have lost 2 pounds so far..but I expect that is just water at this point.

Re traveling, I will be staying with friends for 7 out of 10 days and so feel reluctant to be 'difficult' re food choices..so perhaps the key is just to eat little to keep calories down until I get back. I will be on a train for a few days with dreadful choices so
I may have to be very cautious there...sigh.

You Yanks get heaps of choices in pre-prepared foods..much more than we do. We don't have Trader Vic's for example. I was ecstatic when someone finally imported Atkins maple syrup. I am dubious that I can order ff dressing at a restaurant here either...buffets would have them, maybe. So its a bit harder..but I think I will manage. To be honest I think the key right now is principally the calorie deficit so I think I may not sweat the carbs so much while away..I can guess calories pretty accurately after having done that for most of my life on diets! So for example, 1 full poached egg on a piece of whole grain toast, no butter would be no more than 140 calories.

My soup was terrific BTW..so recommend doing that. I put brussel sprouts in it and they are quite filling. I can see that just adding back a bit more fat to this diet to make it palatable would be a good way to do maintenance.

Val
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 16:20
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
To be honest I think the key right now is principally the calorie deficit so I think I may not sweat the carbs so much while away

That's it. Pretty simple, eh? The only magic about fat and carbs is, fat is concentrated calories and carbs might make you hungrier.

Grats on the 2 pounds! Water or not, it does have volume. Bet the clothes are just a tad loser already.

I forgot to bring a snack to work with me today. I still haven't peeled open the emergency can of tuna, but I did eye it and consider it. Right now, I'm going nuts on frozen artichoke hearts. I put them in everything! Soups, salads, etc.
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 16:23

I have been scared to try ephedrine...there used to be appetite suppressant pills years ago..I think they may have been pseudo-ephedrine, and sold over the counter. These things worked, but I got non stop ectopic heart beats with it. Like Nancy I feel full just eating protein anyway.

Interestingly, the same heart beat thing happened when I went on an all meat diet many years ago..I seem to need to eat some carbs (veg) to prevent this. Being in deep ketosis appears to have a stimulant effect for me. Mind you, not all stimulants do this (I can recall taking recreational stimulants in my errant youth that didn't do this, but the over the counter ones, and deep ketosis did.)

Val
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 16:29

Nancy, I think doing this diet for 4-5 days will at least get my appetite down and stomach smaller to ready me for plain low cal eating for 10 days. Yes, my jeans are fitting a smidge looser this morning. Also I had good energy yesterday which is a good sign.

I don't think I have seen frozen artichokes here..what bliss! But we do have tinned artichokes packed in water. Good idea. As you are in summer, you could make a nice cold soup by blending up cooked artichoke, asparagus, chicken broth into a sort of vichysoisse.

Val