Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 03:28
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Exclamation Stall's and Calories': THINK for once!! And eat Clean!!

1) I read way to much about stall's in relation to losing weight. Like some expressed I too think the weight is not important if your bodycomposition enhances, you even may get heavier while you loose fat!

Measuring your waist may be the ultimate scale expressing success or failure.

2) And then I have the feeling many cross right through the body's strategy to enhance it's composition thanks to better eating with eating NOT ENOUGH. The body is then forced to add more fat! Eat less by a maximum of 500 kcal. (less than your BMR)

3) Next it strikes me that so many people try to lose fat by eating hot dogs, hamburgers, bacon etc. etc. Junk Food. Start cooking by yourself and eat CLEAN!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 07:21
I beat you, Tanita!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:13% lower now...
Progress: 100%

Quote:
3) Next it strikes me that so many people try to lose fat by eating hot dogs, hamburgers, bacon etc. etc. Junk Food. Start cooking by yourself and eat CLEAN!

Hmm... while I agree that it's not smart to inhale a pound of bacon, I don't really consider bacon "junk food". Many people here are eating nitrite free bacon, too. I just went back to "regular" bacon, but I still don't think a couple strips of bacon are going to be a deal breaker on this WOL.

As for hot dogs, I tend to eat Applegate Farms chicken hot dogs or other nitrite free organic brands. There are a lot of brands available here in the states that make eating these things you consider junk food very healthy.

Hamburger.. well.. do you have something against sirloin steak? I am not sure what it is about the process of grinding beef and grilling it that makes it unhealthy. I think it's safer not to assume that everyone who says they had a "hamburger" means they ran out to McDonald's for a Big Mac.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:15

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Nice response Andrea - saved me from writing it out!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:20

Plan: TNTDIET
Stats: 327/234/220 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 87%

(OK Tofi, I'll accept that, but with some reservation )

Last edited by Trinsdad : Sat, Aug-14-04 at 10:59.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 10:32

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Perhaps this message was meant to respond to another post?

Let's remember also that Watcher16's first language may not be English as he lists his location as Holland. If that is so, he may not have realized that the post would come across so strongly. Writing in a "Second language" is much more difficult than speaking it as spelling and punctuation come into the message, and the written word is more subject to misinterpretation.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:20
Registered Member

Thank you for the understanding. I might put it more gently. The substance is really what I meant though.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBash
As for hot dogs, I tend to eat Applegate Farms chicken hot dogs or other nitrite free organic brands. There are a lot of brands available here in the states that make eating these things you consider junk food very healthy..
I'm afraid it isn't... Every processed food can be considered unhealthy. Hot dogs must be very bad. Unless you have in the US very good hot dogs. Seen the lower quality standards in the US I fear you don't...

Quote:
Hamburger.. well.. do you have something against sirloin steak? I am not sure what it is about the process of grinding beef and grilling it that makes it unhealthy. I think it's safer not to assume that everyone who says they had a "hamburger" means they ran out to McDonald's for a Big Mac.
Do you take yourself a sirloin steak, why then grind it instead of eating the steak itself?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:40

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

They sell ground sirloin steak in they grocery store. It's next to the regular ground beef. When they trim the sirlion steaks into steaks, chunks of meat are left over. This bits of sirloin are then ground up as a higher grade ground beef.
  #9   ^
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Hamburger is merely less desirable, tougher cuts of meat as well as trimmings from other cuts. Beef is beef. There are no more nutrients in a t-bone than a hamburger patty.
  #10   ^
Registered Member

The bacon:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s05oe.html
one star out of five.

The hot dog:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s0116.html
one star out of five.

The chicken hot dog:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s0118.html
one and a half out of five.

The Sirloin hamburger:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-001-02s04s5.html
two stars out of five.

....edited....
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-14-04, 11:51

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

These ratings are based on the theory that saturated fat is BAD for you. The people who divised this rating system are looking at food though a low fat lense. On a low carb diet, fat is not harmful, but benificial. The sodium issue with some of these foods, I tend to agree with. The fat issue is a non-issue.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 00:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Hamburger is merely less desirable, tougher cuts of meat as well as trimmings from other cuts. Beef is beef. There are no more nutrients in a t-bone than a hamburger patty.

It is very strange this is a common understanding in the US while overhere NO ONE would even think about such an idea. Ground beef is the lowest quality 'beef' as is seen here. You don't know what is in there. Refrase, you do if you read my post about the MacDonals hamburgers. There is no reason for me to believe other US hamburgers are better (only if the price would be much higher, and then you don't know if it's marketing or quality that makes the difference).

Think about this, the US population is (one of) the thickest on earth, US culture gets spread around the globe (fast food, cola, not cooking by yourself) and now other cultures are getting also the obesitas in alarming proportions. I think there is a relation between these two.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 04:52
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Do you take yourself a sirloin steak, why then grind it instead of eating the steak itself?

A lot of people do grind their own sirlion or pick one from the meat case and have the butcher grind it - why would they eat it ground instead of eating the steak? Probably because they want to have better quality ground beef, maybe they like the taste of it better, maybe they can't chew very well, maybe they are afraid to eat what the stores sell as ground hamburger meat and choose to do this instead. There are lots of recipies that call for sirloin to be ground - some of them you could use what is sold as hamburger meat for but the quality and taste would be better if you used sirloin. If you ate steak every time you ate beef it would become boring wouldn't it?

Even if we buy regular ground beef - Canadians anyway are lucky in that we have very well regulated beef rules - of course if the guy packaging it in the grocery store was in a bad humor??? - well I guess ya gotta just trust people sometimes.

I was wondering too, if because of the language difference and what is available for sale in our different countries, there might be some confusion. As I know not every country BBQ's at home as much as Canadians and Americans - a lot of people make there own burger patties and don't buy the ones that are ready shaped in the grocery store.
I know hot dog weiners are not made of the best stuff - one of my old freinds would say they are made of "horses hooves and A__holes"
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 07:09
Registered Member

Ok KoKo, I think you are right.

If one has the butcher ground the beef from a self chosen piece, it's a whole different story.

In Holland we don't do that, I wonder if the butcher would do that for you. Maybe we have to try...
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-15-04, 07:16
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher16
Ok KoKo, I think you are right.

If one has the butcher ground the beef from a self chosen piece, it's a whole different story.

In Holland we don't do that, I wonder if the butcher would do that for you. Maybe we have to try...

I don't see why they wouldn't do it if you ask them. You can also buy a meat grinder to use at home - I know it's kind of an old fashioned machine but I think they still sell them and people use them for making homemade sausages and thing like that so maybe this would be worth your while - I bet if you can't find one in your area stores EBay would have a few. Good luck.