Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 07:54

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Frittata variations

By the way, the roasted red pepper and sausage frittata has become a hit around here. I've made about six different versions of it - italian hot sausage with pablano chilis and black beans; roasted red peppers, mushrooms, onions, eggplant and garlic (lots of roasting going on); and the ever-popular "Southern hash" version that I make when I have leftover roast. I make a hash with the shredded roast, cubed potatoes (sometimes sweet potatoes) and red onion with ground black pepper and dump it all in there together. That one takes practice - the potatoes have to be thoroughly cooked!!! It gets served with a big side of grits and biscuits and bacon. I've toyed with smoked salmon and cream cheese, neither of which my husband likes, but my best friend likes the combo so I'll try it when I visit her. What a versatile recipe!! I'm only limited by imagination!! Cheers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/129.5/120 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 37%

This sounds so yummy!! But I searched the recipe sections and couldn't find a recipe -- is it from Karen's book? If not, would you mind posting the recipe or a link?

Thanks!
Karin
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 11:20

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Maybe I'm missing something here, but of course it doesn't say you're following a low carb plan - but until you get to Maintenance or high in the rungs of OWL (if you're doing Atkins, for example), you would not be adding potatoes (sweet or white).

Just wanted to bring that to the attention of anyone reading the post thinking it was strictly a low carb recipe.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 14:15

BF:

Thanks for the reminder, cmcole -- I'll confess that I didn't read the whole post very carefully before responding. I'm still interested in the basic idea, though -- some sort of quiche-like thing with egg and italian sausage and roasted red peppers. I may just have to find some basic frittata recipes and just improvise.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 06:24

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

The original recipe is from Karen's LC cookbook. I only added potatoes as a variations for my southern relatives who require a starch (and many of them) at every meal. I took a piece of it that had almost no potatoes. I just wanted a piece or two for taste. But if you don't have Karen's "The Low-Carb Gourmet", lots of the recipes are good basic starting points for creativity and the frittata is one of the best. My in-laws never had one and I made it - it was an instant hit. My MIL wrote it down and I just told her to get the book since she's diabetic and this would help her termendously. She's also looking for other recipes for our nephew who can't have eggs among other things - pretty much chicken and seafood because of his severe food allergies. But I love the frittata recipe because it's great for leftovers - hash up a roast leftover, toss a little cheese that's not enough for something else, even shred up turkey! It is a weekend favorite and my DH will do dishes if I commit to making it. He really had no idea how simple it is! Cheers!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 15:03

BF:

Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to order Karen's book, since I've heard so many good things about it. Just waiting to collect enough Amazon reward points.