Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 13:30
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default Fish House

Hi,

I'm fairly new here, but was wondering if the low-carb menu is available for brunch or is it just for dinner?

I'm planning a surprise brunch/lunch or dinner for my husband's birthday and I'd like to be able to eat too..

I can't really phone because my husband is here, and I'm really curious about the low carb choices on the menu. Of course, I'll need to phone when I'm ready to make a reservation...but in the meantime, I'm just snooping around.

Besides, I've been meaning to try the Fish House anyway, it's one of the restaurants in Vancouver that I haven't actually been to, and I love the location.

Also, can I buy the Low Carb Gourmet cookbook while I'm there or do I have to order it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 00:15
I've decided

Default Just realized ..

I just realized that I posted a question that wasn't about recipes - I am just going to go ahead and book a reservation for this surprise party. Even if the "low carb" menu isn't available for brunch, I think I'm tough enough to figure out what I can and cannot eat from a regular menu..

I really want to get that book, and I've been meaning to visit the Fish House anyway, so it's just perfect for my husband's birthday thing.

We met in Stanley Park, and we got married at the Tea House, so I can't think of anything more appropriate than having a nice birthday party at the Fish House.

Don't worry about responding to this thread - I've already taken a look at the Fish House website, and can see that I will be able to get the book at the restaurant, plus I can see from looking the various menus that I can handle being able to order something "induction worthy".

So please feel free to disregard this post

I'll be there in the next week or so anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've already told my husband that that's where I want to go for my birthday dinner this year.

Savin' up those frequent flyer miles!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 10:10
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I'll be there in the next week or so anyway.
Sorry I missed you, I was on vacation when you posted this.

Quote:
I've already told my husband that that's where I want to go for my birthday dinner this year.
If you do, let me know.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 13:04
I've decided

Well guess what? We didn't make it to the Fish House that day since there were some other people who were coming from Tsawassen and we ended up meeting somewhere else.

But ....

My husband just told me he's taking me to the Fish House *tonight* for Valentine's Day

#6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-05, 19:47
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
My husband just told me he's taking me to the Fish House *tonight* for Valentine's Day
What a nice husband! Have a fab time.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 18:49
I've decided

Karen,

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed my Valentine's dinner at the Fish House. As I mentioned already, I'd never been there, and I was rather curious.

It was wonderful!

I felt so pampered too, because of that beautiful selection of low-carb meals to choose from. It wasn't just a couple of "low carb" options, but an entire menu of all kinds of great things to eat. I had a hard time choosing what I wanted. Ended up trying the baked oyster quartet AND the steamed mussles. For my meal, I had the Fish Bowl, which was excellent. Truly a treat.

I even splurged and ordered the Pumpkin cheesecake - my very first "sweet" treat since starting LC at the beginning of January, and I must say...it was simply divine. There were so many wonderful flavours in that dessert - chocolate, cream, pumpkin, nutty crust...yum!!!

I'll definitely be back soon...I still want to get your cookbook.

I've only been to a few restaurants since starting LC (Nando's for takeout chicken, White Spot and Cactus Club) - and I was getting rather tired ordering a burger w/o the bun or a steak and caesar salad.

I must say that you've *really* done something amazing by coming up with such a wonderful low carb menu. It wasn't the usual half-hearted attempt to jump on the LC bandwagon by offering up a bunless burger or a steak and veggies. The cauliflower puree was even better than I expected. I can't wait to come back and get that cookbook so I can make these things at home too.

Now I want to try all the offerings on the low-carb menu...and what I'm so thrilled about is the fact that you've got so many choices. An entire LC menu..wow!

Thank you Karen!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 01:23
Forum Founder

BF:

You're welcome!

Most LC offerings at other restaurants are half a$$ed because they don't really understand low carb. I can hear them saying, "Oh, just meat and a salad will make them happy."

You may want to join in our gatherings which we have regularly. The latest is happening next Thursday

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=232072

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/136/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 73%

I don't know if there's a Chiles anywhere around where you live. But, they have wonderful low carb menu.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 00:43
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Help With Oysters

Karen--I'm sorry to barge in but I didn't know where else to go--can you tell me what the deal is with oysters--I love them--today I went out to lunch and thought I was making a great choice with 1 dozen raw oysters (I live in Or--we have the best), a ceasar salad, and a glass of champagne--I was still hungry so I ordered another dozen. After I got home to write it in my journal I was astounded and amazed at how many carbs oysters have I probably would have done better to have the salad and 2 glasses of champagne Anyway--why are oysters so much higher in carbs than clams and mussels--By the way--LOVE YOUR COOKBOOK! My friends laugh at me and say that I'm the only single person they know who cooks dinner almost every night at home.
Lisa
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 11:36
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
You're welcome!

Most LC offerings at other restaurants are half a$$ed because they don't really understand low carb. I can hear them saying, "Oh, just meat and a salad will make them happy."

You may want to join in our gatherings which we have regularly. The latest is happening next Thursday

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=232072

Karen

Karen, thanks so much for the invite. I'd really like to join everyone, but I've got this crazy-busy day on Thursday - I have to go to a "thing" downtown that starts at 6am.. and ends at around 4pm (don't ask..lol!).

I'm thinking I might be too tired if I come home back to the North Shore and then venture over the bridge again, after having spent all day downtown.

This being said, I'm seriously considering it anyway, I'd love to meet some Vancouver LC'ers and I'd sure love to visit the Fish House again.

I'm going to head over to the Vancouver thread and find out how often these gatherings happen.

Thanks again...

Great Food!!!!!!