Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 14:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/218/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress:

I just made these and they came out flat and so fragile they break when I pick them up. I used unsweetened coconut, heavy whipping cream, and splenda and let it sit for an hour. After adding the other ingredients, it was still very runny so I added another 1/4 cup of the coconut. The batter was still very loose, but I tried them and got the flat, fragile cookies. Any suggestions on what I did wrong?
Thanks!
Val
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 17:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think it's you, it's probably the coconut.

If it's too moist or not fine enough, the cookies will be flat. I also use brick cream cheese, not the spreadable kind.

The coconut I use most often - because it's easy to find - looks like this, but I've also used long and thin shredded coconut.

Karen
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-04-05, 00:14

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Some people over at another board are having the same problem:
here's the thread. I wish I could just tell everybody in that thread to come here, but that board's policy forbids it.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Feb-05-05, 11:52
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's something weird...

A few weeks ago I was demonstrating these on TV. The food stylist made a batch that were flat. On camera I made another batch using her ingredients and mine came out correctly. Go figure!

Made them in Hong Kong two weeks ago and they were great. The dried, unsweetend coconut there is very fine.

What I recommend to fix this problem is to grind the coconut finer in a food processor or coffee grinder, then measuring out 1 cup.

Karen
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-16-05, 22:34

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've now made these... well, let's just say more than once and leave it at that...

I used the "macaroon" size shreds from Honeyville Grain, and they worked just great, not even requiring the hour soaking time. They're much finer than the picture in the book, but taste just great.

I added a bit of salt to the recipe, incidentally, and recommend doing that. The first batch I made was kind of flat tasting, to me, and the salt fixed it.

I also added a drop of lemon extract to one batch (we were having raclette for dinner and I wanted the macaroons to be extra lemony to kind of counteract the cheesiness of dinner.) That turned out well.