Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 05:23

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
...I may eventually be envious enough to try them.

So I don't have recipes to share, but I'm cheering you both on!

Thanks Blue Ruby! You are welcome to cheer, share or whatever you like here. I'm making some bone broth that I'll try to do another little step by step pictorial.

Good tip: Preasure cooker speeds things up and is not very messy. Here's the roasted bones getting ready for some water in an Instant Pot 6 liter cooker

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Man
I think I'm focusing on the cooking and testing aspect as I don't see myself going back to eating the foods I used to. I will eat things I used to, but much more infrequent and spread out over time. If I can make good go-to recipes that are tasty and low carb, I can be quite happy living a fairly low carb lifestyle.

Once I figure out all the goods and bads and perfect the recipes, I will post them so everyone can try them. Right now, I am really still just dabbling and my recipes are far from refined.

I think this is a great approach, FM. I'm also working quite hard to think for the long term, and be sure I enjoy food and am satisfied. Making the shift to a permanent lifestyle change takes time and patience and the effort to understand oneself, to build something that works. I'm looking forward to seeing your test results! (And when work slows down...to put some effort to more creative cooking.)

Yesterday I rescued two small zucchinis (slightly soft) -- while the pork steaks were "resting" I stir fried a small onion, garlic and the said zucchinis in the "teriyaki" pork fat (use gluten free soy sauce and gender and olive oil, no sugar) and pored the whole mess over the pork. Yum! And super easy.

PS -- thud, I totally forgot about shirataki noodles! I'll pick some up this week!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 05:52

BF:
Default Bone Broth

Here's what mine looks like anyway, like jello, that's J-E-L-L-O

Basic steps I've been taught or made up. Roast bones (y0u inspired) about a gallon bag packed for my system

Buy, rent or steal a pressure cooker - this is a 6 L Instant Pot

Fill it with cooled roasted bones, or hot roasted bones add water to max fill

Clean the pan with a bit of water and vinegar, pour into pot - that's flavor. I add a bit of salt and more vinegar, one glug will do.

Cook for 4 hrs high pressure. Then slow cook until you are ready to remove bones and allow some time to cool for handling

remove bones and put thru corse or fine strainer, you choose. put in fridge over night.

Peal back the fat with spoon, save the fat for cooking or discard if you don't like that thought (and I'll un-friend you )

check your warez (see first picture)

I'd appreciate any other cool ideas of techniques you guys might have.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Loosely Atkins Diet
Stats: 272/253/220 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Does the pressure cooker harvest more fat/gelatin than the traditional boiling in a stock pot? It looks like you got quite a bit of gelatin from it, but I can't tell if that is just a 1" layer, or goes down further.

I have about a gallon of chicken bones in there now. Waiting for another bag from rotisserie chicken before spending the time to make stock.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-10-17, 21:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Man
Does the pressure cooker harvest more fat/gelatin than the traditional boiling in a stock pot? It looks like you got quite a bit of gelatin from it, but I can't tell if that is just a 1" layer, or goes down further.

I have about a gallon of chicken bones in there now. Waiting for another bag from rotisserie chicken before spending the time to make stock.

There's a few ounces of fat that is scraped off the top and saved, the rest is Jello about 3/4 gallon of Jello. Another way to say it is everything is not the fat is Jello. mmmm jello.

I've never made stock in anything else, it's all I know.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-17, 07:50

BF:

Kimchi method.

- Find a big gallon pickle Jar
- cut up napa cabbage and press as much as you can into jar
- mix up a saltwater solution (about 1c salt per gallon water)
- pour into jar and cover cabbage. Let soak for >24hrs
- rinse out cabbage in fresh water
- dice up some ginger and garlic, also if you like add some Korean red pepper flake
- Mix all ingredients with hands
- pack back into pickle jar and add water till just covered
- cover container loosely with lid
- place container in corner of room inside garbage bag and maybe bowl to catch explosions.
- wait. 3 days if using some sugar in mix, a week or longer if not.
- Have ambulance on standy and EAT it, see if it's sour enough...

I love the stuff and can eat lots and lots of it!

Ready to mix...

Fool the Kimchi into thinking it's burried under ground...

There you have it, I'll give update when ready to open bag and test
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-17, 03:57

BF:

tap tap, is this thing still on?
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-17, 16:40

BF:

pssst... The kimchi turned out great. This summer it should ferment even faster. I'd like to make a batch and see just how far and how rotten it can get. I've had some stuff that my friends mom made that makes the office works nauseous from the smell. By far that's the best I've ever had. It doesn't taste the way it smells, the smell adds to the taste

hope you are having a great low carb day!

#24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 06:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 379.0/339.0/330.6 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hello guys.. and Blue. I wanted to stop by and say thank you to thud123.. I've had those noodles before and could not think of another way to prepare them. I did look on youtube to see how to prep and stuff but, I can't wait to try your recipe. I am inspired by your pictures and you have help motivate me to learn how to post pictures on here.. You see I don't even have profile pic. Going to do some research anyway... I'm making chicken stock for my lunches and discovered the trending bone broth. Was planning on stopping my Traders Joe to get some because, I didn't know how to make it. Now you've got pictures to so I think that is something I will do this weekend (after saving up my bones for this week) Does this process require a pressure or can I use a crockpot?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-17, 09:20

BF:

Hey Chantell glad you've found this thread useful. I hear you can do bone broth in a slow cooker just fine too. I happen to only have a pressure cooker - it will do slow cook too but I don't use it that way often.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-17, 05:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 379.0/339.0/330.6 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Thanks Thud.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 12:36

BF: