Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 02:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/147/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Lcing in the Jungle!!

I started LCing on 03/11/02 and have lost 5 pounds so far.

I live in Tanzania (East Africa) where the food is mainly Maize, rice, potatoes, bananas plus there is no requirements for food labels and so most foods don't have them! so it is going to be a bit difficult for me, but I am determined to do it anyway.

My diet consists of fresh meat, fish and chicken, fresh vegetables, eggs and cheese. I have not been able to find a single diet drink without aspartame or any SF product for that matter, and there are absolutely no low-carb products in this part of the world. But to my amazement yesterday I found a shop that sells decaf coffee!!!! Finally this morning I drank something that was not water. (I have been drinking only water for the past 10 days!)

I need someone to tell me where I can find good information on Lcing on the internet since I can’t find any books locally. I read Atkins when I visited the US a few years back and I am relaying on what I remember about the info in that book plus info I am getting from this web site.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 03:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up

Hey Sidekick, its great that you have found this forum and I extend a warm welcome to you.

You certainly sound as if you have the right attitude and all the ingredients about you that you need. You will find lots of information about the different low carb ways of life throughout this forum and so find time and have a good read, if you can not get hold of any of the books. Once you've found what you can from the web, there is a lot of information out there, could you order one of the books from Amazon - an internet book shop.

The basis of this way of life is to remove most process food from your diet and go back to living off the land, eg the vegetables and berries that grow naturally and the meat and fish that you can kill as well as their by products like butter, eggs and cheese. So in many ways, living where you are, you could be better off as there will not be so much to tempt you. There is no reason to buy low carb goodies.

There is a lot of things written about aspartame, but as this is the main artificial sweetner in the UK then I consume it in moderation. I also have some caffinated coffee. Whilst might weight loss is slow, I do not think either of these chemicals is the reasoning behind this.

May I wish you all the best with you low carb journey. You are one of an increasing number of members from outside North America and the UK.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 08:30

Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

Sidekick,

Hello and welcome. Sounds like you are doing a great job without a lot of information available. Would it be possible to go to Brnes and Noble or another website that sells books and have some books sent to you. They are essential. While this sight is great, it can't replace the books. Maybe you have someone in the states who could shop and send the books to you? In any case, sounds like you have a great start. Happy low carbing!!

Betsy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 12:28

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Greetings and welcome!

Good luck on getting your hands on the book - you really do want it in your possession for reference sake.

Keep us posted on how things go - I definitely recommend starting and keeping a journal here.

Keep the Faith!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 23:24

Stats: 147/147/125
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks everyone for the welcoming words.

I have ordered a couple of books (Atkins and Power Protein) through a local book store and they told me it will take six to eight weeks, mean while I will keep digging the internet for all the information I can get.

Sidekick