Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 08:28

Plan: Medical Weight Loss
Stats: 180/163/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default At My Witts End!

Hi, my name is Cat.

In Feb 2012, I found myself at my heaviest - 180lbs - and decided to join Medical Weight Loss Clinic. I lost 35 lbs pretty quickly and was working on my last 5 lbs. Then, in Oct 2012 I suddenly gained 20 lbs in approx 3 weeks... I also felt very tired, and had body aches. When the heart palputations began, I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. I was put on Synthroid (25mg). At this point, I weighed 160lbs. No matter what I did - 1 hour Zumba classes, followed by weight lifting, 5x week - I couldn't loose weight. I'm not a fan of taking any medicine so I sought out a Naturologist. After looking at my labs, she suggested I increase my dosage of Synthroid to 50mg. Ideally, she said I should go on Armour but we were going to wait till I got results of my Adrenal test. Turns out some of my hormones were off (not a big shock as I am 50) and my cortisol was out of whack (waking was 10, mid afternoon was 4... when it should be more like 6 or 7)... anyway, I started a program (about 6 weeks ago) of taking Cortrex, Thyrocsin, Pregnenolone and Armour Thyroid (30mg) instead of Synthroid.
I watch my carbs but honestly, I have been eating more carbs than I used to because NOTHING seems to tip the scale in my favor...so I guess I'm to the point of why bother? I DO eat healthy... organic whenever possible, no (or VERY little) fried foods, mostly proteins and veggies.... but I am up to 163lbs. I am SO frustrated.
I will have my regular doctor run blood tests again to see if any of these herbs have helped and to see if Armour should be increased....
does anyone know how long it takes for a body to adjust from Synthroid to Armour? My doc wanted to test in 4 weeks but my Naturologist said it takes 3 months for herbs to have effect. It's been about 6 weeks now and I feel if I just look at food, I gain weight ; (
Any insight or advise anyone can give me would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 10:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It can take several months to figure out the right dosing with thyroid meds because you have to go back and retest every six weeks or so. Doctors tend to be VERY conservative with thyroid meds too, so I'd stick to the ND for that, they usually treat until your symptoms are resolved, not just treat to a number from a test.

http://stopthethyroidmadness.com is a great place to read up on thyroid disease.

It is worthwhile to stick to your diet even if you're not losing because the other option is to gain. So, hang in there and persist in getting your thyroid issue well-managed. It can be about impossible to lose if you're still hypothyroid, but you certainly don't want to gain more, right?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 15:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Cat,
I'm about as discouraged as you. My thyroid has been bouncing all over the place the last couple of years. Between that and menopause I'm really at a low point. I don't even read this board much anymore. I toy with IF but then get afraid it will mess me up further. It sounds like you found a good practitioner and that is something positive. Hang in there.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-13, 15:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I have issues with my thyroid too. And my losses are fairly slow compared to last time, even though I eat mostly real foods and track calories. But it has stopped the gaining and at this point any loss is a good thing.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-13, 07:46

Plan: Medical Weight Loss
Stats: 180/163/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you...

Thanks to everyone who's posted to my forum... I appreciate your responses. I guess I need to just hang in there... hard to stick to diet with all the Summer fun...lol... but I will try. I know I need to work out more and that could be part of it.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-13, 16:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi Cat,
I was wondering if u have had your insulin levels checked. I have gained a lot of weight the last few years and my doctor checked my hormones and insulin levels. After getting the results back he said I am insulin-resistant. I was told change my diet and/or take the medication metformin. I tried the meds but they made me really sick. So I'm trying to change my diet, which means very low carb, no sugar. Hoping it works and I can finally lose weight and get my insulin levels down! Good luck to u!