Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 06:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/259/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Hypothyroidism and Alcohol?

I have a weird problem / observation, and the endorcinologist I finally got referred to had NO interest in hearing about it at all (He was a condescending ass from the start of the appointment, too!)

Anyway, I've been hypo for years. About a year ago, at the same time my thyroid tanked, my alcohol tolerance went WAY up. I did not drink often/a lot, and usually liked to rely on a glass of wine to help with pms or back pain from time to time.

ALSO at the same time, my tolerance for painkillers went WAY up as well. I used to keep a prescription for T3's in my bathroom for emergencies (If my back got to the point of making me wish I was dead, I'd take one). 30 pills would last 6-12 months. All of a sudden, rather than them making me stoned feeling, sick, giving me a hangover (all of the reasons that I HATE taking them and avoid it at all costs), I wouldn't feel even so much as a dent in the pain, slight nausea, or any sign of that awful "stoned" feeling. Regular tylenol, aleve.. nothing worked for anything anymore.

This all went on for a year. I tried a few times over the past year to see if it was possible for me to get intoxicated, and no dice. Probably not the smartest idea, but the whole thing baffles me.

This week, after being on a new, higher dose of synthroid for several months, I got sort of fuzzy after ONE drink. I took some Aleve for my back that night, under the hunch that it would actually help, and it did!

As un-classy as this sounds, the next day I decided to test it again, and managed to get pretty drunk off about 7oz of alcohol. Big change from last October, the first time I decided to try to get drunk. I gave up after 17 shots and a few vodka coolers.

A couple of my friends present that night are either pretty far along in med school, or actual doctors. They're baffled. Aside from being hypo, I'm VERY healthy, and they pointed out that if it was a liver issue, the exact opposite would be happening.

Because it's followed the pattern for a long time, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced a similar pattern. I find it kinda weird to be thinking "Ooh! I can feel the alcohol! My thyroid must be a bit better!!", but it really has remained consistant through a few waves of it.
Sponsored Links