Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 15:23

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I was wondering how to get the extra water out...thanks for the tips!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph0203
Okay, I tried to make these and I couldn't get them creamy. It ended up being chopped small pieces of cauliflower. Any suggestions by you pros? Also, any other great broccoli or cauliflower recipes?

Food processor, baby. Add your sour cream (or whatever you use with it) and trickle in a little liquid (I use water or cream) if you need to while running. Smooth as SILK!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 20:09
Great seller! A+++++

Plan: mine
Stats: 123/456/789 Female 2'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

If you get the cauliflower soft enough, you can also use your Kitchenaide mixer with the wire whisk...
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 16:55

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Food processor, baby. Add your sour cream (or whatever you use with it) and trickle in a little liquid (I use water or cream) if you need to while running. Smooth as SILK!

this thread is perfect timing...I was going to ask the same question!

So, Elle, when you say, "smooth as silk", would you say they turn a little bit "runnier" than mashed potatoes?

I do use my food processor to make these, but find I have to use so much cream to get it mixing, that is becomes "looser" than mashed potatoes. It is not bad at all...I guess I just need to know if this is the best it will get.

Tonight I added in cream cheese (hoping this will firm them up) and mashed-vigorisouly-with my potatoe masher, instead of using my processor. I then put it in a bowl, topped with parm cheese, and it is now it the oven for a few minutes...I'm anxious to see how it turns out!

Tonight is a trial run for a dinner party tomorrow night
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 17:14

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I just drain super well in a collander, then put them back in the pot with whatever yummy i have around... sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, chives... yum. I mash them with a potato masher.
key is to cook till very tender.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 17:21
Operation Ann 2013

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Steam well done.....drain extra well. Try a stick mixer (immersion blender).....add a little cream after draining well, you can add flavor with cheese any type, herbs, garlic...possibilies are endless, and mine look just like whipped potatoes. I had some last night with meatloaf and didn't miss mashed potatoes at all! YUMMY
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 18:18

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Thanks for all of the tips!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 20:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/154/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Steam instead of boiling. Let it sit and dry a bit in the drained but still warm pot before you mash.
I also use a stick mixer. I made some just the other night to top a shepard's pie. It was delicious!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 13:59
Registered Member

Nope, they're not runny at all! They're not as "dense" as mashed potatoes--they are more "fluffy," but they're very smooth. Fantastic with gravy.

What I do is I boil them until fairly soft. Pour into a colander and let them "dry" for a few minutes. They are still hot when I put them in the FP, but they're pretty dry. Place into food processor with sour cream, salt and pepper. Start it up on low speed. Trickle in cream or water through the chute until it's smooth. That's IT. Mine are very simple, very few ingredients. I've never felt the need to doctor them up with lots of ingredients and flavors--but I love the taste of cauliflower and I'm not trying to cover it up.

If I'm doing "twice baked," though, which is only once, maybe, b/c of the amount of trouble it is, I have left it with some chunks in it and do the bacon-cheese-chive thing.

Last edited by ElleH : Sat, Feb-23-08 at 14:12.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 00:19

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
I just drain super well in a collander, then put them back in the pot with whatever yummy i have around... sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, chives... yum. I mash them with a potato masher.
key is to cook till very tender.

This is how I've done it as well, and it works great.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 07:43

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default 2 ideas for cauliflower

I make a shepards pie w/ground beef, mixed vegetables, and mashed potatoes w/cheese. I'm thinking I may try it w/mashed cauliflower. Could be really good.

I also make a cheeseburger soup that's very good, loaded w/milk and cheese, tho. I guess I could sub cream for the milk. And then sub cauliflower for the taters.

Mmmm.....

Gotta wait a bit tho, I have at least one more week of induction before I can have these.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 12:26

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 137/127.6/125 Female 5'5"
BF:24.5/23/20
Progress: 78%

Update...

Well the mashed cauliflower I made by using a potato masher came out just okay.

So the next night (for company) I steamed them using Ziplock Steam bags, and then used my cheapo processor along with some cream cheese and a splash of cream, and they came out fabulously! After I was done processing them, I mixed in some butter salt and pepper. My one girlfriend is making them tonight for her family!

Thanks for all the suggestions
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-08, 00:05

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 310/270/220 Male 6'-0"
BF:it is for now
Progress: 44%

Cleochatra posted a cauliflower pizza crust recipe on the What's for Dinner? thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...659#post7303659

Follow the link to her blog to get the recipe - it's really worth a try.

It tastes great, but I couldn't get the crust to harden like she did.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-08, 15:47
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Try roasting your cauliflower first before mashing. I always toss the cauliflower with olive oil & season with a little salt & pepper. Often I toss in some onion and chopped fresh garlic, too. Roast until you get tons of nice brown, carmelized flavour on the vegetables. I find I don't need any butter, cream cheese or anything, just process in the food processor until they are as smooth (or lumpy) as you like.

I like the roasted cauliflower mash much better than any regular cauliflower mash I've ever tried.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 17:16
Registered Member

I just have to share that tonight was the first time I've ever pureed cauliflower with just butter. (My carbs for the day would't allow for those and I also needed to up my fats.)

OMG.

I can say that I'll *never* use sour cream, cream cheese or heavy cream again. The taste was PHENOMENAL.