Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-09, 15:41

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%
Question Need some help with some Avidlite products - 'Zero net carbs'?

Hi,

I have been browsing the products on Avidlite website.

I am now a little confused, in the titles of some products it says 'Zero net carbs' then when I look at the nutritional info it says something different.

Here is an example of some sweets:
Quote:
Zero net carbs. Great for diabetics and low carb dieters (Atkins).

Nutritional information per 100g (tin is 175g): 240 kCal, Protein nil, Carbohydrates 97g of which sugars zero, Polyols 97g, giving "net carbs" of zero, Starch zero, Fat zero, Fibre zero, Sodium zero.

Ok so could someone help me out? it says zero net carbs but then says 97g carbs!? I'm a little confused, which is probably stupid, sorry. It's obvioulsy something to do with Polyols... and I know nothing about that.

When low carbing I simply eat meats, cheese and veggies. No sweets etc.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-09, 15:24

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
Ok so could someone help me out? it says zero net carbs but then says 97g carbs!? I'm a little confused, which is probably stupid, sorry. It's obvioulsy something to do with Polyols... and I know nothing about that.
Polyols are sugar alcohols, and you can read more about them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay2008
When low carbing I simply eat meats, cheese and veggies. No sweets etc.
... and IMO that's the best way to do it
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-25-09, 07:10

Plan: IF
Stats: 219.3/174.8/147 Female 158cm (5ft 2in)
BF:Too much!
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Polyols are sugar alcohols, and you can read more about them here.

... and IMO that's the best way to do it

Hi Demi,

Thank you for that link! Interesting read.

I'm glad I didn't go and buy any, I shall just stick to the above
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-09, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Vegetarian/vegan Atkins
Stats: 224/218/165 Female 67 inches (5ft 7inches)
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Kay

I've bought a tub of Simpkins sugar free pops that say they are 0 sugars and starch and 88.0 grams of polyols per 100g and one lolly is 15g. None of this matters much as I can tell you they are tasteless. There is a strawberry and cream lolly that is 0 Carbs that I've bought for the children before as it's sugar free and tastes lovely so I'd buy those if I was buying again.

Sometimes I just have an overwhelming need for something sweet, just one mouthful usually satisfies me, so I bought a box of Atkins Endulge peanut caramel bars. 1.5g sugars 135 cal and only 2.1 carbs. Believe me when I say you could never eat a whole bar, they have a rather weird texture but are okish. I keep one in my bag as an emergency rather than being completely starving if I'm out somewhere and can't get to a low carb option in time.

Can't remember which website I got these all from but they were not cheap, although the company delivered promptly and well packed etc.

WE are much the same size and weight...I have a drawer full of size 12's waiting for me. We can do it...I did it before and remembering that feeling is what is keeping me going this time, good luck to you :-)