Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-07, 09:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default This is working for me

There are threads floating around on Intermittent Fasting. I would like to share my experience with this. For 2 years, out of the blue, I began gaining weight eventhough it would go down it would go back up and stay longer. Eventually it got up to 166 lbs. I have not changed my stats because it is discouraging,plus my weight has been so erratic that I would be changing my stats every week or month. However, I am debating changing my stats and changing my goal weight since I turned fifty this year. I want to also add that my weight began rising once I added chromium to my diet. I don't know if that is the culprit since I am perimenopausal and I have fibroids. Well, these are the changes that i made this year and I its been a Eureka moment. I am sure that I posted this before but I couldn't find it. Actually, I am just lazy.

I want to add something else. When I turned 49 last year, I decided that I wanted to run in a 5K ( for me, that's a marathon ) mainly to prove that low carbers can run without loading up on carbs. As a matter of fact, I protein loaded the night before. I ran the race. I didn't come in last but I ran the entire course. The sad part about it is I gained weight. I was hoping that by making running as a goal, I would have to lose weight. The reverse happened.Boys and girls, aging changes your body I discovered that I entered perimenopause and I developed fibroid cysts. TOM was lasting 7 days and it was heavy. Could this be a connection?

Fast-Forward to this year. I began adding coconut oil to diet It hasn't been making the weight peel off but it is helping my skin, hair and nails.I am sure that it has kept my weight stable and it even brought it down 4 lbs. I also began my version of intermittent fasting. I worked my way up to where I now fast for 20 hours and eat for 4 hours. The eating period is highly low carb with unlimited fats. An example of what I eat is yesterday, I had 2 chicken thighs baked with coconut oil drizzled over them, mustard greens with tomato slices a cup of low carb pudding topped with blueberries and a glass of V8 juice. As you can see, I make a pig of myself at the end of the fast. I also nibbled on nuts and cheese then for dinner I had meatloaf and zuchini. I also walk or attend Curves during my fasting periods. I must day that my new diet has definietly made a change in the way my body responds to exercise. I can see actual weightloss after exercise.My periods are now down to 5 days instead of 7 and they are much lighter. I cannot believe the change. I have concluded that I was eating too often. In the past, I would eat breakfast upon waking up at 5:30 AM. I'd go to work and I would be ready for lunch by 10:00. Like a good girl, who was hungry, I would eat around 10:30 and again when I got home around 3:00. THEN, I would eat dinner at around 6:00 or 7:00. That is 4 meals a day plus a little snacking. Now, I only eat 2 meals a day and I don't eat until after 2:00. This may seem extreme but I worked my way up to this time. I didn't just jump into it. Now, since April, I have lost 10 lbs and for the past 3 days it has been a consistant loss. Mainly what I want to say is if any of you have tried doing IF and found that it did not help you, make sure that you have stayed with it long enough to do its job.
Sponsored Links