Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2161   ^
Old Sun, May-06-18, 11:12

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Third day of the 283s....wish I had seen a 282, but I will take this. I am going to have a decent loss for this week, when I do my 7 day average on Monday.

Since I think I am again, the only one in this thread (except for when Mary drops in ), I am going back to my journal posting only.

If anyone has any questions, will do my best to answer.
Sponsored Links
  #2162   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 18:56

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hi everyone,

I am revisiting CAD. My first try many years ago triggered binges. Itend to be short on seratonin and historically could binge on a double batch of cookies, or a homemade cake. DANDR has been my go to life saver, but cant stay on it for more than 40 days.

Hoping to find a way to succeed...finally.

Looking for my book-- hope it turns up asap.
  #2163   ^
Old Fri, May-11-18, 04:14

to Ms Arielle.

Best wishes to you. I have always been a Calper, but am here to support you re loving the research the Heller's did, and loving to cook, with many cm recipes to share
  #2164   ^
Old Fri, May-11-18, 07:32

BF:

I cant find my book.

Need help clearly defining a CM. How much clean meat, and how much veg?

I see much to define the RM, just nothing on CM.

Thanks.
  #2165   ^
Old Sat, May-12-18, 05:00

I don't have the cad book, I have the calp, cahhp and stress cure books. In listing what cm meats are, they simply say no need to measure or weigh, have an "average" sized portion. From one of their recipes for peppered fillet of beef, to serve 3 to 4, they list a 2 pound fillet. When it comes to cm veggies, if I am using canned or frozen, I go by what they list as a serving, to be my guide.

Hope this helps, they really had it pretty simple, and freeing re the no weighing or measuring.
  #2166   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 07:38

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I don't know if I'm allowed to post this here, but I guess I'll find out.

This might help you Ms Arielle, or anyone else who's interested.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things that might cause cravings, weight gain, or plateaus:

1. Eating more than 4 times a day.
2. Drinking coffee with cream and/or AS more than once a day outside your RM or taking more than 15 minutes to drink that once a day coffee with cream and/or AS.
3. Eating too much cheese at CMs--more than 2 ounces.
4. Artificial sugar during the day or at CM.
5. Diet Soda during the day outside your RM.
6. LC recipes or lc products during CM.
7. Exceeding 4 carbs per CM exclusive of listed foods.
8. Too much fat at CMs.
9. Hidden carbs/sugars, fillers.
10. Using net carb theory.
11. Atkins allowed vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
12. Vegetables that aren't on the CM list.
13. Trigger foods at CM--MSG, broccoli, green/red peppers, cottage cheese, onions, AS, pork rinds.
14. Allergen/sensitive foods at CM/RM-- sugar, wheat, dairy, cheese, eggs.
15. Not enough protein. Try for at least 12 ounces.
16. Flavored waters.
17. Salad dressings with more than 2 carbs per serving.
18. Nuts, bars, shakes, mock danish, pork rinds.
19. Unbalanced, wildly unbalanced, or carb binging RMs.
20. Gum and breath mints.
21. SF Metamucil or fiber outside CM/RM.
22. Exceeding the 60 minute RM rule by even a few minutes.

Craving Reducing Foods List

ANY FOOD *NOT* LISTED SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A CARBOHYDRATE-RICH FOOD

MEATS:
all regular and lean meats, including: bacon (check the label for sugars) ham(check the label for sugars) lamb, rabbit, veal, beef, hamburger, pastrami, sausages (no added sugar)* corned beef, hot dogs (all meat), pork, venison. Most lunch meats contain added sugars and fillers and those not listed in this meat section should be saved for reward meals only.

FOWL:
light and dark varieties, with or without skin including: capon, chicken, cornish hen, duck, goose, pheasant, quail, squab, turkey (ground or whole)

FISH AND SHELLFISH:
all varieties, canned, jarred (no sugar), or cooked (no bread crumbs), including: bass, bluefish, calamari, clams, cod, crabmeat, flounder, haddock, halibut, lobster, monkfish, oysters, perch, salmon, sardines, scallops, scrod, shrimp, smelt, sole, sturgeon, swordfish, trout, tuna

DAIRY AND NON-MEAT ALTERNATIVES:
Regular or low-fat varieties of: eggs, egg substitutes, cheese (all varieties except low-fat ricotta), cream cheese, cottage cheese* milk, cream, or half-and-half (up to 2oz daily in one cup of coffee or tea or in cooking; not nondairy creamers), sour cream, tofu (soybean curd) vegetarian meat alternatives that contain 4 grams of carbohydrate or less per average serving

VEGETABLES:
fresh, stir-fried, sautéed (no breading), steamed, or boiled non-starchy vegetables alfalfa sprouts, bamboo shoots, brussels spouts, celery, green beans, kohlrabi, okra, peppers (green or red*), snap beans, tomatoes (raw, about 1/4 per meal), arugula, bean spouts, cabbage, cucumbers, greens (all), lettuce, onions (as seasoning only), radishes, sorrel (sour grass), asparagus, broccoli*, cauliflower, endive, kale, mushrooms, parsley, scallions, spinach, wax beans

OILS, FATS, AND DRESSINGS:
butter or margarine, regular mayonnaise: oils: all varieties salad dressings: all regular and low-fat varieties where sugar is not among first four ingredients.

EXTRAS:
capers (for garnish only), garlic, horseradish, ketchup 1-2 tablespoons only), mustard, onion (fresh or powdered for cooking only), seeds (poppy or sesame, for cooking only), wine* (dry varieties, for cooking only) dill pickles, herbs, juice (citrus, small amounts for cooking only), mayonnaise (regular only), olives (green or black, no pimientos), pepper or salt, spices, vinegar (white, all other varieties*)

BEVERAGES:
carbonated water, club soda (non flavored)*, coffee, seltzer (non flavored) tea

*if your particularly sensitive to carbs, you may find that these foods can cause rebound cravings or educed weight loss. If so, or you have concern, eliminate them or save for reward meals.

CAD/CALP CHEAT SHEET

1. EAT TWO MEALS OR TWO MEALS AND A SNACK COMPRISED OF THE LISTED FOODS.
2. EAT 12-16 OUNCES OF PROTEIN A DAY; MOSTLY RED MEAT, DARK MEAT POULTRY, AND FISH.
3. EXCEPT FOR THE AMOUNTS LISTED, ITEMS ARE LIMITED TO 3 GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATE/ITEM AND A TOTAL OF 6 GRAMS/MEAL FOR CONDIMENTS/OTHER ITEMS.
4. A SNACK IS ONE-HALF THE SIZE OF A MEAL. ALWAYS CARRY AN ALLOWED SNACK SUCH AS BEEF JERKY WITH YOU WHEN OUT.
3. DO NOT EAT ANY FOOD DURING YOUR NON-CARBOHYDRATE MEALS WITH MORE THAN 3 GRAMS OF CARBOHYDRATE PER SERVING.
5. HAVE ONE BALANCED REWARD MEAL W/SALAD EATING WHATEVER YOU WANT, HOWEVER MUCH YOU WANT. EAT NO LONGER THAN 60 CONTINUOUS MINUTES. DO NOT LET MORE THAN 20 MINUTES LAPSE BETWEEN FOODS TAKEN WITHIN THE 60 MINUTE REWARD MEAL.
6. CALP GUIDE IS TO HAVE A BALANCED REWARD MEAL COMPRISED OF 1/3 PROTEIN, 1/3 VEGETABLES AND 1/3 CARBOHYDRATES (INCLUDING DESSERT AND ALCOHOL)
7. EXCEPT FOR SPECIAL OCCASIONS, HAVE REWARD MEAL FOR THE SAME MEAL EACH DAY.
8. OTHER THAN DIET SOFT DRINKS, SUGAR SUBSTITUTES AND SUGAR-FREE GELATIN; DO NOT USE DIET OR LOW FAT PRODUCTS WITHOUT CHECKING CARBOHYDRATES.
9. LIMIT DIET SOFT DRINKS TO 2 AND ADDITIONAL SUGAR SUBSTITUTES TO 2 PER DAY. AVOID MSG.
10. DRINK 8-10 12 OUNCE GLASSES OF WATER A DAY.
11. USE UP TO 2 OUNCES MILK, HEAVY LIGHT OR COFFEE CREAM IN YOUR COFFEE ONCE A DAY AND DRINK IT WITHIN 15 MINUTES, OTHERWISE HAVE IT BLACK. DO NOT USE NON-DAIRY POWDER.
12. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITIES CAN ALSO CAUSE CRAVINGS, GAS, BLOATED/UPSET STOMACHES, AND HEADACHES. IF ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS RESULT FROM THE REWARD MEAL, INVESTIGATE/FIND THE CULPRIT FOOD AND MINIMIZE/AVOID IT IN YOUR DIET.
13. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY II. SOME CARBOHYDRATE ADDICTS CAN REACT TO THESE FOODS WITH INCREASED APPETITE/CRAVINGS ALSO—ARTIFICIAL SUGARS, SUGAR ALCOHOLS, DIET SODAS, CAFFEINE, COTTAGE CHEESE, YOGURT, BROCCOLI, RED PEPPER AND OTHER HIGHER CARB VEGGIES. IF ANY OF THESE AFFECT YOU, ONLY HAVE THEM WITH YOUR REWARD MEAL.

PROTEIN (4-6 oz. Cooked, 6-8 oz. Raw/meal)
Any tofu, meat, game, poultry, containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Any fish or shellfish without added fillers or sugars. Do not eat imitation lobster, crab or fish.
Any cheese containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Eggs or egg substitutes containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.
Watch out for prepared egg, meat or fish salads, they often put breadcrumbs in them to extend them.

FATS, OILS AND DRESSINGS
Heavy cream, sour cream, cream cheese, fats, oils or dressings containing 3 grams of carbohydrate or less per serving.

VEGETABLES (2 cups raw or 1 cup cooked or mixture/meal; do not count lettuces)
Alfalfa sprouts
Artichoke Hearts
Arugula
Asparagus
Bamboo shoots
Beans (green or wax)
Bean Sprouts
Cabbage, all kinds
Capers
Cauliflower
Celery
Chicory
Collard Greens
Cucumbers
Dill Pickles
Eggplant
Endive
Fennel
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce, all kinds
Mushrooms
Mustard Greens
Okra
Onions (2 tbsp)
Parsley
Peppers
Pimientos
Radishes
Sauerkraut
Scallions
Sorrel
Spinach
Squash (summer only)
Swiss Chard
Tomatoes (raw, ¼ only)
Turnip Greens
Watercress
Zucchini

CONDIMENTS/OTHER

All herbs
Bouillon
Consommé
Catsup (2 tbsp)
Garlic

Garlic/onion powder
Horseradish
Hot sauce
Lime/lemon juice (2 tbsp)

Mustard
Olives
Pepper
Pork Rinds
Salt

Soy flour
Soy sauce
Tofu flour
Whey Protein
Vinegar

Last edited by PaCarolSue : Sun, May-13-18 at 07:48.
  #2167   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 09:34

BF:

awesome!!! This is helpful.

Been having 2-3 meal times. NO snacking between. All higher carb items like crystal lite are with the dinner meal.

All eaten at once. No lingering and dragging out eating time.

DH offered me gum-- no thank you.

Two days under my belt.. surprized how easy to get going. Im sure I dont have it exactly right but what Im doing is working so far.

Sue-thanks for taking a risk!!!!

Thanks for everyones support.
  #2168   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 12:31

Fwiw, I can't agree with all of the cad/calp cheat sheet. At least from CALP book, they would not advise use of diet soda's or any artificial sweeteners.

Most of the rest sounds spot on

Best wishes to all.
  #2169   ^
Old Sun, May-13-18, 13:02

BF:

Thank you for clarifying the details.

I drink far less diet soda and cystal lite than I used too. At times it is the lesser of 2 evils.

Doing much better with drinking plain water--because the artifical ly sweetened drinks taste Very sweet now.

On another thread, the factoid is that artificail sweeteners hike the insulin levels, and the CAD focus is to keep insulin very low. Atkins allow for 3 servings of artificail sugar a day. Me thinks keeping that to the RM would be beneficail.

Thoughts?
  #2170   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 04:02

The Hellers were the first to introduce me to (and listed the research at the time) the idea that the taste of sweet was enough for many, to cause insulin release as if one had actually eaten a sugar.

For me, if it's at rm, why not have the real thing? I love to bake (make minis) or to have in winter oatmeal as my rm carb, and prefer real maple syrup (amazingly, a tsp. is often enough) on it.

It's all about the balance
  #2171   ^
Old Mon, May-14-18, 19:17

BF:

Maple syrup has a better nutrtional profile than typcial white sugar, and certainly tastes like heaven.

I marvel that you can eat a real sweet added to a high carb oatmeal.

Im nervous about waking the sleeping giant. Traditional sweets trigger binges for me, so for me LC is a lifesaver. In the past when I tried CAD, sugar laden desserts triggered a binge. My CAD effort lasted 2 days. Having the crystal lite at the RM seemed like a safe move.

Or can I drink it at non-RM times?
  #2172   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 03:21

I personally can not use an artificial sweetener outside of RM (and as I said, choose not to use AS at all).

I've learned to enjoy various teas so very much, love the flavor, and find them refreshing - hot or cold
  #2173   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 07:07

BF:

My flavors of tea in the cupboard are growing. Long ago I learned to leave out the sugar.

yum
  #2174   ^
Old Tue, May-15-18, 16:44

BF:

Arggg.... ate pumpkin pie with real sugar .....hot flashes with a vengence. Sticking to splenda, no hot flashes there.
  #2175   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 10:48
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
back from 8 weeks our of town for my DH's medical treatment. He did great- and we got home yesterday. So happy to be home!
Weighed for the first time in 2 months- same as when I left!!! I was wondering, as I ate dinner out 5 nights a week. I had all my breakfasts and most lunches at home. Very happy about this too.

To celebrate being home- making a great dinner tonight. Having a big arugula salad, slaw, fresh corn on the cob made on the grill, two nice t-bone steaks and a glass of red wine. DH will add on bread or dessert or both.

Having friends over tomorrow and Sunday- again to celebrate.
Making green chili cheeseburgers tomorrow, and grilled zaatar chicken on Sunday. I missed a grill! I'll go to the farmers market tomorrow and get lots of veggies to grill, more corn and probably some local peaches.

Hope everyone is dong well-

E