Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 12:06
Kiana

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking new to low carbing, need help with daughter who is 11

Hi, I am brand new to low carbing. I was told by my mom who is a fitness guru and marathon runner to cut out all my carbs. I need to lose 25-30 lbs to get to my before children weight of 125. I am mid thirties, three children (my eldest daughter is overweight). I have not read any books about low carbing, just going off information from my mom who is in excellent shape (but she is extremely active) and my aunt who has lost 30 lbs low carbing without exercise in 3 weeks. Please advise. My daughter and I went to the grocery store and bought things 0-5 carbs in them. We are eating lots of eggs, bacon and pork rinds for snacks. We both take a daily vitamin. I am concerned about the lack of fruit (we use to eat fruit by the gallons) and milk for my daughter. Is this diet good for children? She also just started menstrating few months ago. I don't want her to have health problems because of low carbing. We are eating things high in fat, since she does not like fish. Is this o.k. Please give me any suggestions anyone has? Thank you! Kiana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 13:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Welcome Kiana

This is a great forum for support, information and fun place to hang out in.

There is a wealth of information. I would suggest you start with the red bar at the top and work your way through that.

Yes you are allowed fat in this diet. I have cream almost everyday. I have found that my health has vastly improved in many ways since I started the diet AND I have lost weight rapidly at first and then slowly but surely lost.

Keeping a journal is the best way of keeping a proper track of your progress. There are several peoples journals in "Bootcamp" if you'd like to see what other people are doing.

Have you taken your measurements and weight as you are just starting.

I used to live on fruit before Atkins. It is best to cut it out altogether during Induction and then re-introduce some LC fruits very very gradually. My health has not suffered from the reduction in fruit intake.

Take care. Best of Luck. Happy reading.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 22:38
Registered Member

Stats: 195/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up

Hi Kiana, I've got similar concerns with my kids. I've been low carbing for a year (lost 40 lbs so far), and my kids seem to be getting bigger and they have the same eating habits that I used to have. I've done a little reading on low carbing for kids and I think you just need a little moderation. What I'm doing is cutting out a lot of refined foods. I don't buy things like toaster pastries or pizza pops. I try to encourage the kids to eat "whole" foods, like real oatmeal or eggs for breakfast, tuna fish or leftover salad and meat for lunch. I don't cook starchy vegetables for supper anymore, so they automatically eat low carb for supper. I haven't cut out fruit for the kids, but I encourage vegetables more and I encourage cottage cheese and cheese more instead of milk. The other thing I've done is started taking tae kwon do lessons with my kids. In most martial arts classes beginners of all ages start together, so we all get our exercise together. I hope this helps a little.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 23:16

Plan: Dr Atkins/PP
Stats: 180/170/138 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Welcome to Low Carb, Kiana!

I would suggest you borrow Dr Atkins Book or Protein Power from the library. That way, both you and your daughter would have a better understanding of the various programs most of us follows.

You might want to pick up some multi-vitamins, etc. also.

The support and encouragement on this forum is phenomenal.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 18:39

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome aboard kiana! it really is a good idea to buy one of the books and to get yourself a good carb counter. don't worry about the lack of fruit. you'll be eating plenty of veg.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 16:14

Stats: 169/162/158
BF:
Progress:

Get the New Atkins book with the carb counter pages. I got on eon EBay for a few bucks but it's well worth it. You can really taylor the food you eat and stay within the recommended 20-25 carbs a day. After the 2 week start up you can begin adding fruits. My wife and I have eaten fruit all along including the 2 week period but we limited it to the low and very low carb fruits. It will still work. Good luck!