Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 18:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/188/130 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 34%
Thumbs up Working Out

Hi all!

This morning I went to the gym because it's what I do. It's so weird because I used to hate the gym because I was a Jazzercise instructor and didn't care for the philosopies of the gyms around here. Since I quit teaching, I've realized that I have to work out, no matter what! AND Now I love the gym. I get onto either the elliptical or the bike and I rock out to my favourite music on my i-pod. Then I lift weights and jam out some more. I've even made friends at my new gym which is so wonderful.

I used to belong to this snooty gym where the median age of the people there was 20 and there were no butts larger than a size 8. No one would talk to anyone and forget trying to lift weights. The peacocks (hot, young men under the age of 25) used to hog the machines, sweat all over them and not clean up after themselves. YUCK!

I changed to this new gym, Planet Fitness, a few months ago and I really love it! One of their main philosophies is the 'judgement free zone'. They are a bare backbone gym with cardio and weight equipment. They don't offer group classes or have a pool but oh well. It's a great place! They do offer training, but it's not thrust on you everytime you walk in. Oh, and it's free. The training they offer is free! It's so great!

Granted, I'm not as thin as I used to be but I'm doing something about it. The gym focuses me and I feel thinner when I go. I don't know what that's all about, but it makes me feel empowered to keep going and eating the way I've been the last month.

Does anyone else feel that way about their gym? Or do you work out at home?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-10, 19:47

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I think it's really important to find the right gym. I always avoid those "poser" gyms you were describing. Now I go to one where it's not a social scene, but rather, where all sorts of people are trying to get in good shape. They just do their thing when there and then leave. It's not that crowded ever, which I like. The owner set it up as one of those Anytime Fitness gyms, so you have a card to get in and it's open 24 hours. Now he runs it on his own, but same system. Usually no more than 5 or 6 people are in the whole gym, so I can always get on the equipment I want and you never feel like anyone is watching or judging you.

You're lucky to have your attitude about working out. I LOVE working out, I always feel great afterwards, but I still allow myself to get into spells of not going. I wish I were totally dedicated...just because it's so healthy, but I'm working on that right now.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 17:03
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to go to a Golds and didn't care for it. Too many gym bunnies, distractions, socializing, having to wait for machines/weights etc. The "gym" I go to now is by appointment only with one-on-one trainer, there is at most one other person in there are they are also totally focused on their workout so the only audience is my trainer. 12 minutes of max effort and I am out of there. Love it.