Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 07:40

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default 2 things: ketosis and cravings

I reposted this as it was in Atkins and perhaps that was the wrong place as 48 people saw it but no one answered.

I don't have test strips and wonder if I should get them so I can test for ketosis, do you?

I also don't have access to a scale until I'm back at my home in Nov. so don't know how much I lost if I in fact lost any weight. I did weigh in at the doc 1 week ago so I can find out next time I go in.

I'm on day 12, and although I'm not really that hungry, I still feel like I want, ( or wish I could have) something sweet. I also still want a glass of wine, especially when I go to places where they serve it and everyone is having one :-(.

Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 08:01

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DogDay
Am I doing something wrong?

Um, worrying too much? If you have been eating according to rules of induction for 12 days you are in partial ketosis. It can take 4-6 weeks to become fully kept-adapted and you will probably have *some* cravings for carbs until that point. They will diminish the longer you stay away from carbs.

The urine strips can be an indicator of ketosis for the first 3 or 4 weeks on strict induction eating. After that, not necessarily. I've never used them but if you find them reassuring, they won't hurt (until they fail to show you are in ketosis and you are, which might cause you to throw in the towel).

As for a scale, also not necessary. Are your clothes fitting more loosely?

As for cravings when you go to a place where people are eating/drinking things not on your induction list.... Don't go there. Prepare your meals at home. Save the money you would have spent for a scale or a spa treatment or the new clothes you will need.

It does get easier in time. For me, 3 weeks is what it takes to really settle in. You are past my half way point. Hang in there.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 08:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

If you're not really hungry, you're in ketosis. I wouldn't waste my time. Or money on the sticks. The want and cravings are coming from a non physical hunger. It's a safe bet that most people have to figure out a coping mechanisms for the "wants" that aren't driven by physical hunger. Whether that's habit, emotional or just "it's not fair" attitude,... you can push past the wants. It gets easier each time you do.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 08:06

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Getting the test strips is up to you. I never bought them and just ate on plan. I could always tell I was in ketosis just by the metallic taste in my mouth and the positive changes in weight and size. Some like the test strips, but then they can lead to stress about is the color dark enough etc. Whatever works for and motivates you.

You ask if you are doing anything wrong. I don't know. If you are following your plan as written, then I would say no, you are fine.

Good luck and hang in there. Many have posted links and info for you along with the acceptable foods list at the top of the Atkins page, so arm yourself with info and go for it. You can do it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 09:16

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Thanks everyone for answering, yesterday I felt like I hadn't lost any weight which was disturbing as my jeans felt snug, today I feel like maybe I have...I think getting a scale will help me see the progress...and good to know about the 3 weeks! (also the only time I've been able to weight myself was on day 5 so I might have lost some those first 5 days).

I will keep on truckin' as they say.

Today I'm going to a winery party ~ rather silly but I was invited by two new friends (and am new in this area so need to get some friends). I plan to drink Perrier and will bring my lunch and eat it in the car before I walk in. I feel strong and it's at noon which is not a hard time for me, it's the evenings that get me!