Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 06:06

Plan: Atkins, Now Medical Weigh
Stats: 217/206.4/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question Can't handle Atkins but still want to semi low carb

Hi everyone,

I have tried Atkins and was successful a few years back, gained everything back though. I don't think I can handle Atkins any more.

I'm back again trying to lose weight again and trying to find something I can stick with for the long haul. Lately I have been just limiting my carbs, cutting out so many breads and sweats and it seems to be working a little. Much slower than Atkins but I have lost a little. Is there any plan out there that you think would work for me? How many carbs should I limit myself to? I know I can't do the under 20 any more.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 06:28

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hello SG...Diets will never work no matter what...as soon as you stop you will regain all what you lost and its a known fact...the only way to lose weight and keep it off is of course exercise and the way of eating has to change...ive read all the books on diets from Atkins - Zone...(Zone is good too) But to be honest with you the more i read the more it is just plain simple its the sugar intake our problem...GI way of eating (i dont call it diet cause its not a diet!) you still eat your carbs, fruits etc.. and mostly all that is forbidden in the other diets..its just you need to learn to read your labels...which ive been doing for over 15yrs and still do...probably why hubby hates shopping with me..lol..so its up to you..what i would do if i were you is read...read everything you can on GI, or Sugar busters, or anything that has to do with what the sugars do inside our body...even Dr. Oz makes good sense too...just read for now and make sure you exercise till your ready and decided to do the diet that suites you...for now if i were you just go for walks 30mins per day so you dont regain...and speed up a bit the walk...it will balance you out for now till you add a new way of eating... so read read read
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 06:48

BF:

Thank you for your post Lanny. I will try to find some of the books you suggested to read. I think my body has a tough time breaking down carbs and sugars. I just don't think I can totally eliminate them from my diet forever.

I am keeping up my exercise. I ride a stationary bike for an hour each day. I usually take Sunday off. My metabolism is extremely slow, so riding the bike doesn't seem to help, but I'm afraid what will happen if I don't.

Oops! In the above post, sweat should be sweet.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 07:03
Green for Life!

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 193/148/143 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi there. I think you would do well on the GI way of eating....you still get your sugars if you need them...only natural sugars like in fruit...and there are many great deserts that can be made using Splenda (rice pudding and berry crumble are my favourites).

When you are doing your reading, try not to read the books that talk about glycemic load, they can get confusing. I suggest visiting www.gidiet.com for an introduction to the plan and a few recipes.

I have lost 60 lbs total...over the winter months I have been stuggling to keep the last 10 off (I go up and down weekly)...stick with it and it will work.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 12:09

BF:
Smile

treehouse, Thanks for your suggestion. I guess I will start off reading the G.I. book. I just ordered.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 12:55
Green for Life!

BF:

Did you order the one by Rick Gallop?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 13:27

BF:

I ordered "The G.I. Diet: The Easy, Healthy Way to Permanent Weight", author Rick Gallop. I can't wait to get it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 16:21
Green for Life!

BF:

Excellent choice...all the info you need is there in that book. If you have any questions, ask away, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-19-07, 19:21

Plan: South Beach (was Atkins)
Stats: 150/141/125 Female 62 inches
BF:Apparently
Progress: 36%

Does the gi diet skip ketosis? Because I'm really having problems with ketosis, it gives me a headache, and it doesn't seem to end at this point. I want to lose weight, and do it relatively low carb because I feel better that way, I just need to avoid ketosis.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 06:56
Green for Life!

BF:

...hmmm I don't know what ketosis is...so the G.I. must not do it. Basically the G.I. changes your eating habits, makes you aware of your portions, and cuts out most refined sugar. Good Luck.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 14:02
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanAng
Does the gi diet skip ketosis? Because I'm really having problems with ketosis, it gives me a headache, and it doesn't seem to end at this point. I want to lose weight, and do it relatively low carb because I feel better that way, I just need to avoid ketosis.

With the GI diet you do not have to go into ketosis and most people probably won't.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-22-07, 12:53

Plan: whole food
Stats: 205/195/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi supergirl! I had been on Atkins and now am just eating whole foods plus some dairy. I learned what I could eat going throught the Atkins carb ladder so I wonder if you'd gone through the whole ladder? I can't say I'm really doing Atkins anymore since I don't count carbs, but without the carb ladder I wouldn't have been able to pin point what I can and can't eat so specifically. I can't eat bread and I can't drink alcohol, but I'm having my fill of meat, vegetables, fruit and legumes, nuts/seeds, and whole grain rice. I do have limited cheese and some other dairy because they are processed. This is working really well for me. I don't limit portions. I FILL myself and I'm losing weight and have lots of energy. I left the Atkins Diet Bulletin Board because there doesn't seem to be many people that go for the fruit and whole grains even though it perfectly fine to try them to see the results. There are people that are determined to stick with the induction level foods and I think that really contributes to failure on the diet. Dr. Atkins didn't leave any food groups out of his plan, yet many people are determined to leave many foods out of their lives. My suggestion, take what you've learned on Atkins and try adding those foods that you've missed and see how they work for you. Personally, bread hurt my tummy and I could not lose weight while eating it, so bread is just off my whole grain list and I'm currently experimenting with different whole grains that are not processed. Good luck!