Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 00:13

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%
Default Buyin Metformin Online

as in uk the limit of metformin prescribed is 1700mg and as most no that the higher the dose the beter the results, would i be right in thinkin i might be beter off buyin metformin off the net and takin the extra dose that say usa allows so perhaps 2000mg-2500mg and get beter results? doc dont hav to no
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-06, 07:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 16/16/10 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm a Yank, living in Canada and use an online Canadian pharmacy for my US prescriptions (to save money and to get my us prescriptions filled. A regular Canadian pharmacy can only fill a Canadian script). Anyway, to use a legit online pharmacy, you would still need a prescription from your doctor. So if you're doctor will only fill for 1700mg/day dosage, then that's all you're going to receive from an online pharmacy.

This is the pharmacy I've used. Mind you, I've only received the bc Yasmin from them. I haven't filled my Met prescription, as I've lowered my dosage. www.canadiandrugs.com. I received them rather quickly. They did mess up my check as I had it sent to a Canadian address, but my check was drawn on a US bank is US funds. They thought it was a Canadian bank in CAN dollar. I just had to call them. They were very nice. They even personally emailed me.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 00:21

yeh but thats the prob i cant go over 1700mg and i want to to get better results, so was thinkin of getin it off a non legit site and just take the mg that usa ppl take up to 2500mg
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 12:58

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

If you aren't regularly monitoring you blood sugar, I would be scared to adjust my dosage of medication without the doctors authorization. I'd also be afraid of sites that are not legitimate as how will you know exactly what medication you are getting. Try diet and exercise and forget the quick fix ideas. Glucophage (metformin) is only going to help so much with weight loss, the rest comes from sweat and eating sensibly. You are not going to get a quick fix in a bottle.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 12:59

yeh but i was doin that, i was goin gym also 4-6 times a week for 3months and only lost 3kilos and low carbs to and doc did say that i would be beter on higher dose cz im not exactly small
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 21:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 16/16/10 Female 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was told that Glucophage would take care of all of my PCOS related problems and was a weight-loss wonder drug. I left that doc pretty quickly to find another one. Glucophage isn't a magic pill to make the weight fall off. It may help a bit, as it helps your body regulate its blood levels, but the rest is up to you with diet and exercise.

As for going to a non-reputable site, I wouldn't do it. You may order glucophage, but you never know what you're really receiving and thus digesting. Are you willing to put yourself at that risk? It's not worth it. You have to remember that glucophage is (what I've been told at least) hard on the liver. I'd be careful taking it. The weight loss and hormone/insulin issue isn't going to be cured by a pill or over night. It's going to take a lot of hard work and discipline to get where you need to be. If find that it's mostly diet. I used to exercise A LOT and my weight wouldn't budge. Concentrate on that rather than the pills.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 21:16

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 235/220/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

"The weight loss and hormone/insulin issue isn't going to be cured by a pill or over night. It's going to take a lot of hard work and discipline to get where you need to be. If find that it's mostly diet. I used to exercise A LOT and my weight wouldn't budge. Concentrate on that rather than the pills."

I definitly agree, it will not help taking more metformin and might even cause you more problems where losing weight would be your least concern. I work in a pharmacy and know that there are alot of rip off deals with people getting ineffective pills(expired drugs), or just being charge triple the amount. You definitly don't want to do this without consulting your doctor and taking a serious look at the time of day you are eating and your blood sugar levels, and also study your diet looking for hidden sugars(fructose and sucrose are still sugars). I hope you find what is causing your instable insulin levels and get help.Take Care.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 02:04

yeah but i have done all that, i have been to the gym lots and lots and been cuttin out carbs since last jan 2005 and still not lost much i think about 2 and a half stone at the most in a year even my doc sed that was slow. i found out on this site my doc shud hav been testin my sugar level and sumin about lipids but she hasnt done none of that so i guess i have to look further a field

lucyliza said that ur weight never budged so how did u get over it?