Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 02:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/197/157 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:
Question Hello!! Newbie here

Hi everyone - just joined today.

Im in my 3rd week of doing the Atkins diet - first week I lost 5lbs - second week - nothing so im feeling a bit disheartened.

I had my thyroid removed about 4 years ago and have struggled to lose weight ever since. Im on 125mcg of thyroxine a day which Im told is fine for me.

Im not sure if im in ketosis as i dont have the strips - but my urine smells and i have the metallic taste in my mouth which im told are side effects. My boyfriend says he hasnt noticed any bad breath though.

My biggest problem on this diet is that i crave sweet things really bad - I dont crave things like pasta, pizza etc - just sweets. To quell this a bit Iv been drinking loads of coke zero which I think may be contributing to no weight loss. Iv now changed to fizzy water with a tiny bit of orange squash in. I do try to drink plain water but it makes me feel sick.

Iv got some raspberry ketone drops that i bought a while ago - would this help?

Exercise wise - I admit I dont do a lot - just take the dogs out. I suffer from bad joints due to medication I take (tamoxifen) so aerobics is out of the question.

Thanks for listening - any advice is most welcome
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 04:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hey tigratart!

Don't be discouraged yet -- you've lost 5 lbs and that's a great start. Which version of atkin's are you doing? This will enable us to help you more if we know that and if you'd post a sample day of eating, that would be most helpful as well.

Jo =]
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-14, 05:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
Losing water the first week and not the second is a common pattern. Read Why the Scales Can Lie here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...627#post8883627 to understand the initital process. Slow and steady weight loss should follow.

Suggest you read one of the Atkins books to understand the plan and how it works. If you don't have one yet, the rules are at the top of the Atkins forum here. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98 Also read back for various threads in that forum for views on artifical sweeteners and also how to stop sugar cravings.

Throw out the raspberry ketones and make your own.

There is an entire sub-forum on thyroid here, read back on some threads about losing weight after thyroid removal. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I am sorry that you are taking tamoxifen. I did as well, during a time I also ate mostly vegetarian, and the combo caused a 60 pound weight gain. There was a clinical trial during year four to determine who were "high responders".Luckily I was one, so the doctor decided I had most of the benefit from it as possible and let me stop it. Important to note though, I had started Low-Carb No Starch, No Sugar seven months before that, and had already lost significant weight and all Joint Pain had stopped by removing all grains and sugar, long before the weight loss would have mattered. So was it the Tamoxifen or the crappy high-carb, high grain, vegetarian diet? I'd say it was the diet, because as soon as I went LC, the joint pain lessened, life-long skin rashes disappeared, and so many other health benefits. I can't now in good conscious pin the nasty effects on Tamoxifen (though I did when I begged to stop the treatment). My suggestion would be to eat a completely clean version of Atkins, no grains, sugar, artifical sweeteners of any kind, processed seed oils, nor processed meats. Call it real food, primal or anti-cancer version of Atkins, but I believe the extra effort will be worth it for your health!
All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-15-14 at 09:07.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 03:16

BF:
Progress:

Hi Guys

Thank you so much for your replies. I did read that 'why the scales might lie' link yesterday and it made me feel much better. I do actually feel like I have lost inches as my clothes feel a bit looser and one of my work collegues actually said (without being prompted)that I was looking good. Im not sure what atkins im doing - im just not having any carbs (prob under 20g a day)at all.
That has given me hope that going LC will reduce my joint pain - I will let you know. I think Iv got another 3 years of tamoxifen to go. Its not the first time iv been on it unfortunately.

When i tell you what I eat - Im guessing u will say Im not eating enough - but here goes:
Typical day is :
Breakfast : scrambled egg with cheese & mushrooms OR 2 0carb sausages
Lunch : Tuna with mayo and cheese OR homemade beefburgers
Dinner : Rump steak, mushrooms and fried egg OR tuna with cheese.
Snacks : 2 mini baby bel cheeses

Obviously this varies - I dont stick to these everyday. Sometimes all iv had for dinner is a packet of sliced beef

I find it hard to cook anything too elaborate as I have a full time job during the day and I also work some evenings - any spare time I have, I sleep as I get very tired (exciting life I lead lol).
xxx
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 03:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Your menu looks pretty good but it seems high in cheeses. You probably wouldn't want to over do the cheese since it does have carbs even if the pkg says no. No more than 3-4 oz a day.

I would never critic you about "not eating" enough! I only eat 1x a day myself and less than <1200 kcals (calories) and <12 carbs. So who am I to tell you to eat more??

I hear you about the elaborate cooking & working and the less I touch, prep or cook food, the less I overeat so I keep things very simple. That's what I love about the version of Atkins I am doing, it's basic natural foods and nothing fancy in the way of prep.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 04:24

Losing inches is what counts! ignore that lying scale

The menu looks good but I agree with Jo about the cheese. Dairy can stall some people. When I had the opportunity to discuss my diet and meds with Dr. Atkins' long-time nurse, she suggested dropping the cheese from 4 oz to 2/day. That is so little, you might as well try a month without Also except for a few mushrooms, there aren't many veggies. Even the original Atkins "72 included a few cups of salad, helpful in multiple ways (newest version includes much more veg).
Accept you are on two medications that can cause weight gain, or at least a lack of loss. Don't despair, you may have to make some adjustments later, but for now just follow the plan for a while. We all understand busy, I'm a big fan of the crockpot to make large batches of a protein to eat all week. Check the Recipe forum here for making a simple chuck roast or chicken, etc. on your day off, ready to be warmed from fridge or freezer.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 05:13
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Here's the Original Atkins (A '72) in a nutshell if you're interested:

Eat Meat, Eggs, Cheese (no more than 3-4 oz a day) and Fats. That's it, except for 2 loosely packed cups of lettuce each day if you want it. No “franken-foods”, no processed foods, no LC shakes, no LC bars or things like that. Keep it simple and eat only real foods. Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're not. You don’t force liquids either on A ’72.

It's really that simple. If you stick 100% to plan with no cheats, the weight loss happens. It's like that "magic" WOE pill people spend billions & billions of dollars on each year trying to lose weight -- that doesn't work. BUT Atkins '72 does every single time if you religiously follow the plan without cheating and the resulting weight loss and health benefits of this LC WOE will become apparent.

If you are interested in the Acceptable Food List for A '72 and I can post it here but it's probably available somewhere on these boards.

Wishing you success on your LC WOE journey!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 05:17
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

I had to give up cheese because I have portion control issues, I'm weak, I know so it's easier not to have ANY then to have the allotment. At least I know my weaknesses!!

I do most of my heavy cooking on the weekends, because of work. I bake my chicken breast and other foods and freeze them for the week. I also buy bag o' salads that are prewashed and all you do is dump them in a bowl top with no carb salad dressing and enjoy!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 06:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Good morning and welcome!!

I agree with Jo and Janet...great advice. I second all they recommended. We're all busy and just a tiny bit of extra effort will keep you on plan with all meals.

I love my supermarket meat sales and my crock pot. I regularly cook a large Boston Butt or Chuck roast or corned beef. My hubby has lunches and it leaves me plenty for lunch and dinner too. I also keep the salad bags and hard boiled eggs on hand as well. So quick to just dump a few things together to have a perfect on plan meal.

Best wishes to you -
Deanna
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 09:53

BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone - Im going to take all this on board - and def cut down on the cheese. Can any of u recommend something for me to snack on tho thats low carb?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 10:09

Hard cooked eggs..very filling and easy to carry. Any meats from the proteins in your fridge, sliced chicken ,etc. If you need "crunch", celery or pork rinds (an acquired taste if they are available where you live). Other cut up vegetables and salami or dried meats if not too processed.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 16:13
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Janet gave you a wonderful list of "snack" items. Beware of the pork rinds, they are sooo good and sooo addicting but have a high salt content. I have to limit my intake (1 or 2 oz a day) or I retain water weight and can see it on the scales the next day and when I see that, I cut them out for a day or two and back to normal. But everyone is different, so it may not affect you the same way. Just don't be overly concerned if you do add them to your WOE, and notice a weight gain... is all I'm saying..

Last edited by Just Jo : Wed, Jul-16-14 at 16:14. Reason: Silly fingers!!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigratart
Can any of u recommend something for me to snack on tho thats low carb?

I would suggest taking whatever you wanted to snack on and add it to the closest meal, instead.

The enemy of weight loss is high insulin. The body does not care if what you ate was one egg or a dozen... it's going to release insulin! Most people find they lose better when their pancreas sends out insulin only three times, or less, a day, instead of five times a day.

As always, you need to experiment with what works best for you. But eating any carbs along with protein and FAT will buffer the blood sugar load you are taking on.

The only snack which does not release insulin is pure FAT. And yes, some people snack on that
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 02:48

BF:
Progress:

Hi

Thanks for all your suggestions - def will go with the eggs. When u say pork rinds - do u mean pork scratchings?? They are little bits of pork crackling in a bag.

I put on a pound today btw - not feeling good but I will soldier on.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-14, 03:42

Yes, we mean scratchings. Ingredients should read just pork and salt (and as Jo said it is high in salt) some like them as a "breading" substitute for pork chops, chicken, etc. As a snack, limit to one cup a day.
Agree with Wear Bear about the insulin response. Try to eat more for meals so you do not need to snack, "grazing" was the worst nutritional advice given in the past few decades! A 14 hour "fast" overnight gives your body time to tap into fat stores. 2 or 3 meals with no snacking during the remaining 10 hour eating time.

One pound?? Everyone has a 4-5 pound "gray zone" of water weight..remember, that scale is lying. Take a pair of trousers you like that are too snug now and use that as your next goal.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jul-17-14 at 04:36.