Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 02:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/148.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Smile My story

Dh and I were married in April of 2000. I was about 145lbs when we met the previous July (after loosing about 30lbs on Atkins), and over the course of a year and a half had gained the weight back, and then some.

About a year after we were married, we wanted to have a baby, and I wanted to get healthy. I lost 30lbs again, doing Atkins...and at the end of summer we just decided one night not to use bc.

I found out I was pregnant in early August. We were thrilled. I'd never been pregnant before, and wasn't having many symptoms. I stopped Atkinsing completely. At 10 1/2 weeks, an u/s showed a 7w3d gestational sac and some placental tissue, but no baby. A week later, I had a D&C for a missed miscarriage/blighted ovum.

I was devastated, and felt so empty I wanted to get pregnant again right away. I was also deeply depressed, and started gaining the weight back yet again. I gained all the weight I'd lost back, and then some. *Sigh*

We tried for 1 1/2 years to conceive, with no luck. I don't think I'd really put it together yet that eating low carb really affected my hormones in a good way and helped my cycles become more regular and allowed me to ovulate...and the extra weight and all the sugar were likely why I was so irregular (as I had been since hs).

In December of 2002, I talked to a midwife who mentioned PCOS. I came home, got online, and started reading about symptoms and treatments. Then, I made an appointment with an OBGYN to enquire about Metformin/Glucophase.

Instead, he prescriped a low dose of Avandia. I was pregnant 1 1/2 cycles later, and thank goodness-it stuck! I had a wonderful pregnancy and only gained about 12 lbs, ending at about 196.

My son is now 2 1/2 years old, and we aren't planning anymore children. My pregnancy weight came off as soon as he was born, but even with breastfeeding I managed to...you guessed it...gain it back, and then some ending at 204lbs this time.

I realize now that this WOE needs to be permanent. I have an addiction to carbs, and I let it get out of control and before I know it I'm big and miserable. I want to be the best mommy I can be to my little boy. I want to be able to run and play and keep up with him. I want to have more energy. I want to be happy...not depressed/ashamed.

So, here I go again. And this time, I'm playing for keeps.

Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 13:00

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 200/194/140 Female 60 in
BF:
Progress: 10%

Jen, congrats on finally conceiving.

What is Avandia? I am almost certain I have PCOS (took me over a year to conceive). I went to an endo, who did full hormone testing, and said everything was normal.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 23:23

BF:

My 'diagnosis' was just based on some symptoms, not bloodwork as far as I remember. Avandia, like metformin/glucophase, is a diabetes medication that impacts insulin resistance (as does the Atkins WOE). I'm not diabetic, but that low dose tricked my body into ovulating.

HTHs,

Jen
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 23:28

BF:

I just did a quick google for "Avandia PCOS" and found this, which might be helpful:

Quote:
Avandia (generic name: Rosiglitazone)
Avandia is one product in a class of prescription drugscalled thiazolidinediones (thigh-a-zol-a-deen-die-owns) or TZDs. Avandia is used to treat type 2 diabetes by helping the body use the insulin that it is already making. Avandia comes as pills that can be taken either once a day or twice a day (usually once in the morning and once in the evening) to help improve blood sugar levels. Avandia can be taken with or without food. Avandia can be prescribed alone or in conjunction with Glucophage in order to treat PCOS.

Avandia was generally well tolerated in clinical trials. The most common side effects reported by people taking Avandia were upper respiratory infection (cold-like symptoms) and headache. As with most other diabetes medications, you may experience an increase in weight. You may also experience edema (swelling) and/or anemia(tiredness). If you experience any swelling of your extremities (e.g., legs,ankles) or tiredness, notify your doctor. Talk to your doctor immediately if you experience edema, shortness of breath, an unusually rapid increase in weight, or other symptoms of heart failure.

Since occasionally, this medication can affect the kidneys and liver, it is very important that your doctor assesses your renal (kidney)and liver functions to make sure Avandia is appropriate for you. You should also have these blood tests repeated every two months for the first year and periodically thereafter. You should also know that Avandia therapy may result in the resumption of ovulation, which may increase your chances of becoming pregnant.

Many women with PCOS have successfully used Avandia, either alone or in conjunction with Glucophage, to manage their PCOS. Furthermore, Avandia has also helped women with PCOS begin ovulating again and become pregnant.

Since this medication is not FDA-approved for the treatment of PCOS, most insurance companies will not cover it. Furthermore, the use of Avandia for the treatment of PCOS is even less understood and less accepted by most health care professionals than the use of Glucophage. Therefore, most physicians are not aware of this treatment option and may be reluctant to try it. In addition, the long-term effects of using Avandia to treat PCOS are still unknown.

http://www.conceivingconcepts.com/l...s/pcosmeds.html
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 07:21

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

After 3 years of infertility I had twins. Then after an additional 10 years of infertility issues I did glucophage and avandia both. GYN gave me clomid and I FINALLY got pregnant again. These are both great drugs to treat PCOS.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 15:02

Plan: Schwartzbein Principle
Stats: 200/194/140 Female 60 in
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks for that info, Jen.

I am going to talk to my OB/gyne about PCOS. The endo didn't want to even discuss PCOS after all blood test results were normal. I still have all the symptoms, but apparently that doesn't matter if the tests say you are normal.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 19:18

BF:

Ciao Bella,

My OBGYN told me there was really no 'test' for PCOS, that it was based on symptoms, so he was comfortable prescribing the Avandia for me. And, it obviously worked! :-)

Maybe change practitioners/get a second opinion?

Best Wishes to you,

Jen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 22:55

Plan: My own
Stats: 198/192.4/180 Female 66 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 31%

This is such an interesting thread! I have PCOS and went through 3 years of fertility treatments, up to and including in vitro. None worked, and we finally adopted

I had never heard that Avandia could be used for PCOS! How cool! Glucophage was horrible for me. No effect other than chronic stomach pains and diarhea. Fun!

My endocrinologist did a lot of bloodwork before diagnosing me with PCOS. She said that lots of diagnoses are made with just symptoms, but that blood work needs to be done to confirm it. Hormones need to be at certain (abnormal) levels, etc. She sat me down and went over my results, showing me what was considered "normal" and what was within PCOS guidelines and where I fit. She was AWESOME!