Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 16:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Default Another "Ah Ha" moment....

Hi. I have been eating low carb for a long time. I had some stops because I was stupid. and gained about 20 pounds. I am back on plan and noticing the weight loss in the mirror. I had a real "Ah Ha" moment today about why I may sabotoge my own success. I have started getting a LOT more attention from men. I am kind of "put off" by it. I like the joking around and stuff, but to get hit on by total strangers daily seems excessive. I was thinking to myself how, for some reason, this was not happening for awhile and now, since it is spring time, it is happening again, then I realized, I have lost weight again so the attention begins. Now I know why I sabotage myself and I can deal with it so I can continue on. I am not bragging about this, it has always made me feel uncomfortable, but at least now I know why. I was wearing baggy t-shirts and hoodies all winter, now it is spring time and I pulled out some jeans that I couldn't wear for the past few months and some short sleeved button shirts. My husband told me how great I look, but I am about ready to "dress down" again. I am not going to talk to my husband about it because he has a very real jealous streak (I am not sure why) and he would be stressed. He has health issues so the stress would not be a good thing for him. I am going to continue on this journey and find out where it takes me. I hope it is only good places.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 07:24

Plan: LC
Stats: 262/219/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yup/yup/nope
Progress: 33%

I can totally sympathize with that! Part of me wants the attention and to know that I am attractive and another part of me is very uncomfortable with it. There is good attention and bad attention and I used to attract the bad when I was young and cute.

But something has occurred to me - just the other day, actually. I am not the same woman I was at 18, 19, 20, 22. I am better able to handle myself, I know who I am, what is important to me, and how far I will let people go before I set them straight. And I don't put myself in difficult situations either.

So I am hoping with that "a-ha" moment for me that it will not be a barrier this time. Because it has been in the past. I have gotten to a point where people start saying "Hey, you look great!" and I panic and stop losing - even though it was what I was waiting to hear after months of hard work.

I hope we have both passed that mental hurdle and we can reach our goals!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 07:33

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

We are so used to hiding in the background and trying hard NOT to get attention that when we lose some weight and people notice - we are out of our comfort zone. It's a big mental block, but seeing it and recognizing it is the first step to overcoming. You're on the way to overcoming 3shewolf8 & lccanadian, keep going.
Also, watch out for your significant other's unintentional sabotage. Partners are often very uncomfortable when their mates start to lose weight.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 08:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 218/217/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 1%

i could have written these posts. i have been heavy all of my life, it seems, even when now I would give my right arm to be that "HEAVY".
I lost 65 pounds on Atkins in 2004 and had boyfriends for the first time since being divorced in 98. I looked great. However, I didn't notice that I looked way different physically, but the difference inside was showing outside.
My facial looks were the same, just a flatter tummy. But I felt so good about myself that it spilled out into major confidence in myself.
Now, I have put back on 20 of those pounds, about 5 a year, (I know, insidious, right?) but that is how it happens. It's harder now to lose weight, but here's the thing...I am still working so hard on it because I like liking ME. The attention is just a side effect, a fringe benefit, but the most important thing is that YOU look in the mirror and like what you see. It's a learning process, though, deflecting unwanted male attention but you do get better at it. And better at accepting the WANTED male attention from your BF or hubby.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 16:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

It happened again today. I was winked at by someone and I just smiled and kept walking. I told myself it was O.K. to be attractive and brushed it off. I actually let myself enjoy it and not be "weirded out" by it. It made me smile and I felt good. I am gaining my confidence again, not just in the way I look, but in the way I am acting. This may turn out to be a good thing after all.