Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 19:57

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default Advice for the beginner: Getting started with weights

OK, here's the "beginners" article that I was talking about. I am typing it in installments, so stay tuned. When all is typed in, I'm make it one big post and "sticky" it to the top of the forum.

Here we go ...

INTRODUCTION

Achieving a better body is the epitome of the old saying "easier said than done." Building a better body is simpler for some than others, depending on your genetics and present body condition, but working out is difficult in the beginning for everyone.

The key to success is to be persistent, regardless of how poorly you think you are doing. Always remember: If you keep training, you will improve! Once you have started in a consistent routine you may find out addictive and enjoyable.

MAKE TRAINING A PRIORITY

The main excuse people make for not exercising is that they do not have enough time. While this may be a legitimate excuse for some, the vast majority of us DO have enough time. We have the 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours per day, 3 days per week to maintain and improve our bodies. Let's face it, the main reason a lot of people do not exercise is that they are lazy.

Exercising is one of the few things that no one else can do for you. You must do it yourself. This means hard work, dedication, perserverence, and sweat! You must always remember that if you do not take good care of your body, your body might not take care of you.

Whenever people say "I have no time to train," the point should be made that there are 24 hours in a day. Surely one of those hours can be devoted to training. All you have to do is make your training time a priority. Find the time to exercise. Chances are that scheduling should not be a problem. Most people find that once they take the first step, working out can be very rewarding.

But, first things first: before taking up any new activity, especially a strenuous one like weight training, seek the approval of your family doctor.

By realizing that the time to workout can be made, you have completed the first step to getting the body you have always wanted.

The next step is finding a gym or fitness center to join, if you have not already done so. Most experts agree that it is better to train in a gym, as opposed to your home. The main reason is that you would never be able to obtain the quantity or quality of equipment and service that is found in gyms. Besides, working out is easier to do and more enjoyable when you are in a gym atmosphere (lots of weights and machines, music, people, etc.)

Also, meeting new people, which is inevitable when you join a gym, never hurt anyone!

THE RIGHT GYM

If you just want to lose fat or "tone" your body, you should join a gym with an emphesis on aerobics equipment and programs (i.e. exercise bikes, rowers, stairclimbers, treadmills, elliptical trainers, and a comprehensive schedule of aerobics classes.

This equipment is geared toward the burning of bodyfat and increasing your body's meatabolic rate. You may want to sign up at your local health spa or racquet club as these facilites have good aerobics equipment.

If building muscle is on your list of goals, then you should consider a gym that has a good selection of free weghts and bodybuilding machines. Some of the better gyms that are known for both free weights/bodybuilding as well as aerobic conditioning are World Gym, Gold's Gym, and Powerhouse Gym.

Many less famous clubs also offer first rate programs. In order to compete with one another, many gyms have to be able to accomodate all members with a variety of fitness objectives ... whether it be weight loss, strength training, cardiovascular conditioning, powerlifting, or bodybuilding.

WOMEN AND GYMS

Even in this enlightened age many women feel intimidated by the environment prevalent in male bodybuilding-oriented gyms. Well, for those women who feel this way, there are a number of gyms and fitness centers that are opening up for women only.

Many beginning weight trainers have the idea that everybody in the gym is looking at them when they train. Because of this paranoia, they may feel uncomfortable and unable to concentrate on their workout for fear that they are constantly being stared at.

They’re not!

The truth of the matter is that people who go to gyms do so for one reason—to train—not to intimidate women or new members.

Just remember that training is awkward in the beginning for everyone because of inexperience and insecurity, but as time passes you will become more familiar with the gym., it’s equipment, and your workout routine. Your confidence will increase. Just be positive and stick with it. Going to a gym is simply training—improving your body, health, appearance, and confidence.

A common misconception people have about gyms is that they are costly, but when weighed against the benefits, gyms in fact are an excellent value. A typical gym membership costs about $35 to $50 per month, with perhaps a reasonable one-time initiation fee.

Some gyms offer daily and weekly rates (smaller gyms usually, not the big fitness chains like Bally’s). You may be able to negotiate some sort of discount with the gym if you pay for your membership up front for the year.

Whatever payment option you choose, rest assured that being healthy and looking great make your membership fee a good investment.

WHAT’S NEXT?

Once you have signed up with a fitness center/gym of your choice, what do you do?

- The next step is to talk with a fitness trainer and get him or her to establish you with a workout program that will help you achieve the results you want. For your first few times I strongly suggest having a trainer walk you through your routine to allow you to familiarize yourself with the equipment and to prevent possible injury from not doing the exercise properly.

- You will also find that a personal trainer (well, a good one anyway …) will help you avoid wasted time and effort. You will learn how to work out correctly and how to meet your fitness objectives from day one.

- Reading a book on beginning bodybuilding and training before your start training is a very good idea as well. One of the best beginner bodybuilding books is Robert Kennedy’s Bodybuilding Basics. It covers absolutely everything you need to know.

- A serious commitment must be made to work out at least 3 times per week. Doing less will give few, if any, results. As a beginner, if you work out much more than 3 times per week, you will run the risk of overtraining … which means you will be tired, have consistently sore muscles, and again, achieve little or no results.

- Keeping a training journal is a good idea too. In it, list the exercises you completed, weight used, and how many sets and reps you did. With each new workout, try to beat your previous records … even if it is just one more rep, or a little extra weight in one lift. This is the best way to measure and keep track of your improvements.

- As you progress with your training, and your body becomes accustomed to the routine, you should increase the intensity and eventually the frequency of your workouts. The reason is really quite simple—you don’t want to overdo it in the beginning. You want to gradually build yourself up to an advanced routine, not start off on one.

- There is also a psychological aspect to consider. Chances are if you try to do too much in the beginning you will burn yourself out mentally, as well as physically. As a result, working out will not be enjoyable. You will be less inclined to continue with any program at all. That’s why it’s good to start off with a reasonable pace with your training. Ultimately you will regard working out as a pleasureable and positive activity and will likely stick to exercising regularly.

THE ROUTINE

OK, here’s the part everyone’s been waiting for.

Begin your routine with a simple warmup. This is easily accomplished by riding a stationary bike for 10 minutes at a very moderate pace.

The purpose is not to get a cardio workout here … you are only trying to warm up the heart for the activity ahead, and to get blood flowing through the body at a faster rate. Feel free to alternate the stationary bike with the treadmill, rower, or any other aerobic activity.

The following basic routine is designed for a beginner. It trains the entire body in each workout. You will be doing one exercise per bodypart, for one set of 12 to 15 repetitions using a relatively light weight.

Never start an exercise (especially one that you are unfamiliar with) with poundages that overstress the muscles and make a movement diffucult to perform.

Naturally, all beginners will vary in age and strength levels, so I cannot recommend any starting poundages that would be ideal for all. However, I have listed some approximate weights for the average male and female. Use more or less than my suggestions based on how you feel they apply to your own physical condition.

The three-times-per-week (on alternating days) training schedule will prevent overtraining. It looks something like this:

- Chest Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 25 lb. dumbbells; women = 15 lb. dumbbells

- Barbell Squat: 15 reps … men = 75 lbs.; women = 40 lbs.

- Seated Row: 15 reps … men = 60 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Prone Hyperextension (back extension): 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

- Seated Shoulder Press (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 20 lb. dumbbells; women = 10 lb. dumbbells

- Standing Calf Raise: 15 reps … men = 50 lbs; women = 30 lbs.

- Lying Leg Curl: 12 reps … men = 50 lbs.; women = 30 lbs.

- Barbell Curl: 12 reps … men = 40 lbs.; women = 20 lbs.

- Lying Triceps Extension (dumbbells): 12 reps … men = 15 lb. dumbbells; women = 8 lb. dumbbells

- Lying Leg Raises: 15 reps … men and women use bodyweight only

Cardio Work: Some form of cardiovascular exercise should be performed for 20 to 30 minutes three times per week.

Beginners should strive to perform all exercises in perfect style—that is, lift the weight slowly and under complete control. Do not swing or heave the weight up, bounce, jerk, or otherwise employ momentum.

Use full range movements with slow and controlled style. You have to learn proper form and technique in these beginning stages to work your muscles through their full range of motion (ROM).

*** ADDED 5/22/04: BUILT has added her beginner program in another post in this thread. Here is a direct link to the routine. It is a split routine. CLICK HERE. ***

POINTS TO REMEMBER

Follow this routine for a minimum of 4 weeks, but you can use it up to 3 months if needed.

Rest for 60 to 90 seconds between sets.

Keep a training journal and record all weights, sets, and reps. Try to beat your previous workout.

Remember to keep you exercises basic and simple, especially in the beginning.

Always emphasize proper form over heavier weight, but increase weight or reps, or both when possible.

If fat loss is your goal, try doing your cardio work first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. If that is not possible, perform it after your weight training.

DO NOT overdo it!

As time goes on, and you become more experienced, you may opt for an advanced 5 day per week routine. It is important that you do no more than 5 sets per bodypart, and keep your rep range between 6 and 12.

IF you are unable to afford a personal trainer, refer to a training book to help develop an advanced training routine. Or use one of the many on-line personal trainers that are out there. It is a more affordable option, usually 1/3 the cost of a “live” trainer.

SETTING GOALS

Try to set realistic personal goals for yourself (for example, lose 5 pounds before the summer, or be able to bench press 225 pounds). Whatever our goal may be, write it down and leave the paper in a place where you will see it often. It will remind you of what you are trying to accomplish, and guarantee that you will not lose sight of your objectives.

You will find working out easier when you set goals that you can achieve.

TRAINING PARTNER?

Exercising with a partner can be tremendously beneficial if you can find someone compatible. When a person is there to help and support you in your workout, with you doing the same for him or her, training becomes even more enjoyable.

It is also safer because your partner is always there to “spot” you.

Besides, knowing that someone is waiting for you at the gym can motivate you on days when you don’t feel like training.

Friendly competition between you and your partner to see who can do more reps or lift more weight will provide incentive.

REMEMBER THE IMPORTANT FACTORS

Developing a great body does not start and stop with hard work in the gym. Although training is one of the most important factors, it is only one of three vital factors:

1. Training
2. Diet
3. Rest

REST AND RECOVERY

The last, but certainly not the least, step is to take care of your body. Taking care means getting at least 7 hours of sleep each night.

Sleep allows your muscles to rebuild and recover from your workouts. Sleep

Sleep is as impprtant as training and diet. There is a direct relationship among the three. You cannot achieve substantial results if you deny your body any one of these three factors.

Avoid smoking, stay clear of drugs, and keep alcohol consumption to a minimum (and yes, I know about the beneficial effects of a glass of red wine per day).

Try to keep stress in your life to a minimum (easier said than done).

CONCULSION

If you follow these suggestions, train regularly, eat properly, and take good care of your body, you will make amazing improvements to your body in just a few months.

Stick with it, and good luck.

Remember, if you have any questions regarding you training, post them here in the GENERAL EXERCISE FORUM and you will get the answers that you are looking for.

Last edited by Trainerdan : Sat, May-22-04 at 09:39.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 15:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default If I can do this, anyone can

This is great information, because it confirms that I'm on the right track. I chose a fitness centre that's a five-minute walk from my office and has a corporate rate with my employer. I asked a co-worker who goes regularly to help me get in the door. It's a cliche, but that really was the hardest step. I stopped being self-conscious after about one session. It's a downtown location and most people are fitting their workout into their work lives and are totally focused on what they're doing.

The only difference from the plan outlined above is that I'm doing my weight training on Kaiser equipment. I am a total klutz, and I have no kinesthetic memory. I've been told by people who work out a lot that the machines can get boring, but they're a lot less intimidating than free weights. I've taken advantage of some free orientation sessions they offer with a trainer who figured out the best weights for my first few sessions and showed me some abdominal and stretching exercises as well. I'm planning to do paid sessions with her every few weeks to make sure I'm on track. Perhaps when I get a bit more confidence I will start using free weights. As it is, I've forgotten how to do one of three exercises she showed me last week.

I'm posting this because I want anyone who's hesitating because they feel awkward and out of place to know that if an introverted, overweight, 51-year-old woman can do this, anyone can. I don't feel awkward any more; I'm proud of myself for doing it, and I feel great.

Susan
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 20:12

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Just for some clarification...

So when you say three days of training and then three days of cardio, you mean on the same day, right? Yout don't mean 6 days a week? Also, say you're doing a sculpting class - is that training or cardio (I'm assuming aerobics is cardio). If I take a class three times a week, what else should I be doing? the training and/or cardio?

Thanks for the info,
Erin
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 08:22

Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%

Hey Erin. Yes they do mean 6 days a week!

Usually you should do weight lifting for 3 days a week. Nothing else those 3 days besides weight lifting. Then Cardio (bike, treadmill) anything that gets your heart rate up to peak time for 20 mins. This is done 3 days a week. Usually I train my abs and do stretching/yoga on cardio days. Sculpting class? Not real sure where to work it in. Unless you weight train 2 days (atleast 2 they say for good result and muscle growth) and 1 day sculpting. 3 days cardio.

Confused yet?

Lisa
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:13

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Lisa...

Check out my journal...it looks like I'm planning this all wrong

Erin
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:42

Default train as you can

Erin,

as long as you have at least 3 sessions of cardio per week, and 3 weight training sessions per week you should be fine.

Sculpting classes get tricky. As long as you are doing weights that are challenging enough to cause some burn, count it as one of each.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need ... I'm back from vacation!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Re: exercise

I totally agree. I joined the gym scene almost three years ago and it was the best thing i ever did. it is the one thing i look forward to every day. it is a tremendous stress reliever and it just makes you feel good all around. i go when the gym opens at five a.m. and it is the perfect start to my day. If i dont go, i feel awful all day long. its definitely worth your time and effort..the rewards are phenomenal.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 16:08

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default confused about workout

Trainerdan, and everyone:

After reading this thread, I still have two basic questions:

1. To lose weight, shouldn't I be doing cardio at least 5 times a week, even on days when I do resistance training as well?

2. Is there any truth to the notion that, with respect to heart rate, there’s a “fat burning” or “training” range which one should work to for an optimal cardio or weight loss workout?

I’ve never really been in fabulous shape, and I’ve recently recommitted myself to exercising, which I had only been doing intermittently. I am working out 5 days on and 1 day off on the following routine: (keep in mind, this is all done with step aerobics, 3.3 lb weights, and videos – hey, this single mom’s gotta workout at home before the kids wake up or never!)

Days 1, 3 and 5: 26 minutes of cardio, 25 minutes of free weights (working everything)
Days 2 and 4: 26 minutes of cardio
Day 6: rest
Repeat from Day 1

I have over 30 pounds to lose, and lots of muscle tone to gain, so I’m wondering if I’d be seeing better results if I changed this routine to do weights and cardio on different days. I’ve been at this for about one month, and I feel good, but still wearing the same clothes.

Regarding my second question, I’ve read so many differing views on how “hard” to work out during cardio for optimal fat burning. I recently bought a heart rate monitor, but my heart rate varies so much during cardio, I’m not sure how to take this. (It gives me an average at the end of the workout.) What is my goal? To have a higher rate or a lower one? If I feel really wiped out during the step routine, I simply keep moving in place and rejoin the video a few moves later. I figure it’s better to keep moving longer, than to quit altogether.

I’d appreciate any feedback.

Thanks ...
Rhu
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:55

Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%
Default I hope this helps?

Cardio should be done 3 times a week, weight training 2-3 times a week. You should not do cardio and weights on the same day.
Remember muscle burns fat more than cardio! If you over do cardio you might start to loose lean muscle tissue instead of unwanted fat.

Heart rates are difficult to calculate. Here's what you do. Do a cardio warm up for 3-5 mins, then intensify that cardio to a speed in which you can barely hold a conversation, yet if need be you could speak. This will be your max heart rate. Stay at that speed/level for a maximum of 20 minutes. THAT'S ALL THAT IS NEEDED, 20 MINS. Then cool down for 3-5 mins.

Your body after cardio is still burning calories for up to 3 hours. So if you do cardio for 2 hrs on a treadmil you will start to break down lean muscle tissue, instead of burn calories.

You should take 1-2 days a week off (depending on your level of training).

See my journal for my workout plan if you like.

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 16:19

BF:
Default Thanks!

Lisa

Thanks so much for all this great info. I already do cardio at the rate you mention (a warm up, and then 20 min of being able to talk, but not wanting to!) so I’m all set there. The first adjustment I’ll make will be alternating cardio days with weight training days, and see how that goes. While I’m doing that, I’ll be looking into BFL.

Thanks again!

--rhu
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:22

Default I beg to differ ...

Quote:
Cardio should be done 3 times a week, weight training 2-3 times a week. You should not do cardio and weights on the same day.

To each their own, but to maximize fat loss you need a combination approach of weights/cardio.

Depending on your goals, you may find yourself doing cardio 3,4, or 5x per week. Some of these sessions will obviously occur on weight training days.

Increased muscle mass will stimulate metabolism, however, keep in mind that fat loss will only occur when a calorie defecit is reached. That means you will need to burn off calories through activity ... and a two-pronged approach of weight training and cardio is what will do it for you.

Quote:
If you over do cardio you might start to loose lean muscle tissue instead of unwanted fat.

As long as you take in sufficient protein (at least 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per day, per lb. of bodyweight that you have), and take in protein every 2 - 3 hours, you will maintain positive nitrogen balance which will ensure that you will hold on to your muscle mass.

If you are still nervous, supplement with 5 - 7 grams of L-glutamine after your workout and again before you go to bed.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 22:17
Registered Member

Stats: 345/316/220 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 23%

Does anyone have a suggestion for cardio that I can do inside without an indoor track? Temp here is still in the teens in the morning, and I'm not much for running in that.

I have a home gym and I prefer weight lifting of free weights and working out on the home gym(cable/pulley based)

So is there anything you can recommend without jumping up and down in front of the tv?

Once it get's warmer, I'll get back outside.

Thanks,

Mike
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 07:58

BF:
Default Here we go again!

Thanks for your info, too, Dan. I guess I’ll have to just see what works better for me: Cardio 3x a week, or Cardio 4 or 5 times a week. I have to say that doing cardio 5 days in a row had me feeling muscle weary by the 5th day. Last Sunday (the 5th day of my 5 day workout cycle) I was literally bone tired after my workout, even though I was eating fine.

Dan, according to what you wrote, there will be some days I’d be doing both cardio and weights. Do you have a recommendation as to how many days per week one should use weights? Is it the 3 days per week you discuss in your beginners article? What I’ve been dong is working it out so that I use weights every other day, and the off day is either a cardio day or a rest day.

Thanks ...
Rhu
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 08:05

BF:

Mike

What is it you don’t like about jumping around in front of the TV? If you haven’t, you might want to try “step aerobics.” I’ve never liked regular aerobics tapes – I never seemed to have enough space, patience, or coordination, and the moves made me feel stupid. But step aerobics uses a series of self-contained moves, and they’re hard to do incorrectly, IMHO. A well-choreographed tape is easy to follow, easy to modify for your level of fitness, and doesn’t have you moving haphazardly all over the room.

-- Rhu
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:59
Registered Member

Stats: 345/316/220 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 23%

I'm the average guy that can't dance, so following the moves is kind of a pain. I prefer rowing the best, next is running, biking, etc.. A year ago, I belonged to a gym, so I had all of the cardio equipment available to me. I moved to North Carolina for work almost a year ago, and I've looked at the gyms around and there's nothing that I care for that is in a reasonable driving range to between home and work.

With the issues of the local gyms, I decided to buy a home gym and that's great, but I'd like to also do cardio. Maybe I'll start doing steps or something until it gets warm enough to go running/biking, etc...

Thanks for the help.

Mike