Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: not sure
Stats: 230/195/170
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Found How To Make Low Carb Work Faster

I have been researching past few months about ketosis and lypolisis. and i found body builders do this all the time but they are smarter. Body builders do mainly super low carb under 10 grams a day + 200grams of protein daily + 0 fat.

They take a supplement called Alpha lipoic acid (u get from ur store or atkin site). Alpha lipoic acid takes carbs out of ur blood and into the muscle glycogen or fat cells hence u enter a ketotic state right away.

Nway the point being, High Fat does not work as Ketosis means nothing if there is no caloric deficit. You may be burning fat but your burning nothing but the food you eat.

A good Diet is a low calorie Low carb, Low fat, High protein diet.

thats where magic will occur. And dont listen to people who say your metabolism will die or enter the so called "starvation mode" there is no such thing as starvation mode.

Research everywhere say that Low calorie reduce metabolic rate by only 10%. 10% is negligable when u have a high caloric deficit daily and 1 pound of Pure fat is only 3500calories.

Metabolism Slows down if u eat less but only 10%. IF you eat more it will increase by 10% BUT IT DOES NOT MEAN UR BURNING MORE FAT, IT MEANS UR BURN MORE THE FOOD U ATE. so this whole eat more to lose more is completely False.

You need a caloric deficit, hence a good diet would be 1000calories daily with low fat low carb high protein to maintain muscle mass.You'll be in ketosis and drop pounds quickly and healthy. Your metabolism will slow down by 10% which is nothing compared to the huge caloric deficit youll be creating.

Then you take a supplement like ephedrine. that boosts by 3% to compensate the 10% drop. So you only drop 7%.

At that rate youll drop pounds daily. HIGH FAT OR HIGH ANYTHING IS NOT GONNA DELAY WEIGHT LOSS. PROTEIN IS ONLY NEEDED DAILY TO REPAIR TISSUE. And remember The fat you have in your body IS FOOD, to eat no fat doesnt mean ur starving, it means ur body will eat the fat food in ur body. FAT= FOOD. ITS HEALTHY. AND THATS HOW U LOSE WEIGHT

thats how i do it and i lose almost 1 pound a day with exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:11
Registered Member

BF:

oh ya another thing if ur about to CArb Cheat, Take Alpha lipoic acid IT WILL KEEP U IN KETOSIS.

I cheated once ate 200grams of Carbs(cake etcc) i took 5 grams of Alpha lipoic acid. next day I WAS STILL IN KETOSIS.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Speaking of research...

Here's a study that contradicts your theory:

Reference:
Sondike, S.B., Copperman, N.M., Jacobson, M.S., "Low Carbohydrate Dieting Increases Weight Loss but not Cardiovascular Risk in Obese Adolescents: A Randomized Controlled Trial," Journal of Adolescent Health, 26, 2000, page 91.

Summary:
This study tested whether a low-carbohydrate diet that did not restrict calories would be more successful in promoting weight loss than a low-fat, low-calorie diet. Researchers also tested to see if such a diet would have negative effects on blood lipid profiles, thus increasing cardiovascular risk. To test their hypothesis, they recruited 39 obese adolescents for the study; 20 were placed in a low-carbohydrate diet group while 19 were placed in a low-fat diet group. Subjects in the low-carbohydrate group were allowed to consume as much protein and fat as they wanted, so long as carbohydrate intake remained below 20 grams for the first two weeks and below 40 grams for the next nine weeks. Members of the low-fat group were instructed to consume fewer than 40 grams of fat per day. The low carbohydrate group participants consumed an average of 1,830 calories per day while those in the low-fat group consumed 1,100 calories per day. Both groups showed improvement in HDL ("good") cholesterol, triglycerides and total cholesterol. The improvement in triglycerides was much more pronounced in the low-carbohydrate group. Eating 700 more calories per day than the low-fat group, the low-carbohydrate group lost twice as much weight (an average loss of 48 pounds for the low-carbohydrate group versus an average of 20 pounds for the low-fat group). Neither diet had any effect on liver or kidney function. The researchers concluded that the low-carbohydrate diet significantly improved weight loss despite a higher caloric intake. Also, contrary to their hypothesis, despite increased fat intake, the cardiovascular risk profile did not worsen, but in fact improved in certain aspects including HDL cholesterol and triglycerides.

Commentary:
These findings can be applied to the Atkins Principles of Weight Loss and Disease Prevention. You can consume more calories and lose more weight on a low-carbohydrate diet than on a low fat diet. You do not have to cut calories and starve yourself when on a ketogenic diet in order to reap the rewards. And a low-carbohydrate diet is very effective in reducing risk factors associated with heart disease, such as triglycerides and total cholesterol to HDL cholesterol ratios.

This is not a race. There is no need to take your caloric intake that low to lose weight unless you have a desire to foster an eating disorder such as anorexia. Sure, I'd like to wake up tomorrow and have all the weight gone, but I'm not willing to starve myself or get my body used to eating 1,000 calories a day to do it. A pound a week is plenty for me and I'm eating well while doing it.
Also...either you are not updating your profile or you aren't losing anywhere near 1 lb per day as you claim since your profile shows that you have been low carbing for about 16 weeks and have lost 35 lbs...that's still a respectable pace at 2 lbs. per week, but not 1 lb. per day.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:33
Registered Member

BF:

i havent updated my profile, second
You have to realize studies are always funded.

Third here is why Low carb on a higher calorie shows more weight loss.

Do you know what happpens when you low carb? Glycogen muscle/liver starts to deplete.
how much water is in there? 15pounds or more.

Thats why peopel doing low carb first 2 weeks lose 10-20pounds.

Thats all water. i can lose 10pounds in 2 days if i cut carbs to 0.
The fat adipose tissue, which is what we are looking to burn not scale weight water/muscle.

low fat and low carb are almost same. Low carb being more simply because of water depletion and second Your in lypolisis alot longer than low fat.

Lypolisis is FAT RELEASE. Low fat low calorie gets into lypolisis but less than low carb, because Carbs when eated Halt fat loss thats why low fat didnt lose as much.

But none the less, There is no starvation mode, there is no "starving anorexia nervosa at 1000calories" Thats completely False.

Anorexia is when you HAVE NO FAT AND NO MUSCLE
thats starvation.

Remember Fat stored in your body IS FOOD. SAME AS THE ONE UR EATING. IT IS HEALTHY RICH FOOD. Living off hardly means ur starving.

Hence Low calorie (protein to maintain daily tissue and vitamins) is COmpletely nutritionally complete and healthy.

And im burning 1 pound a day for your information and it is mainly fat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:47

BF:
Default Definition of anorexia..

"People with anorexia nervosa—who are sometimes known as anorectics or anorexics—have a preoccupation with food, weight, dieting, and body image. They are dissatisfied with their bodies, perceive themselves to be fat regardless of their actual weight, and are obsessed with becoming thin. Many are so focused on outward appearance that they have little awareness of internal sensations such as hunger and fullness. Anorexics usually undertake strict diets, severely restricting food intake and avoiding certain foods they deem taboo. They may also undergo intense, strenuous exercise regimens and weigh themselves frequently."

Starving yourself (which 1,000 calories a day would qualify as) could be classified as anorexic behavior which we definitely don't promote here. 1,000 calories a day is not nearly enough to meet even your basic metabolic needs and is not healthy by any standard. You don't have to be already unhealthily thin to become anorexic but if this behavior continues, a person will be. Anorexia isn't just about how much a person weighs, it's much more about their frame of mind that leads them to starve themselves in an attempt to lose weight.

Yes, studies are usually funded, but that doesn't change the fact that those who ate more, lost more unless you wish to accuse those who conducted the study of outright lying in their report.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 15:51
Registered Member

BF:

lisa N, wanting to lose weight quickly is a natural human response in this society, this does not classify them as anorexic. because anorexic never stop wanting to lose weight until they have no more muscle or fat thats is anorexic.

Most people just want to lose 10-20 or 40 pounds witihn 1 month , and by all means necessary that hardly makes them annorexic.

If your definition of anorexic is people who deprive themselves, then you are an anorexic, because your not accepting who you are . a fat person you need to restrict your carbohydrates and starve yourself eating only fat and protein thats anorexic behavior. because you are preventing your self frmo eating ice cream and every other food and paranoing about your diet .

thats anorexic behavior.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 16:02

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Mike.

I think Lisa has accepted a great deal.
what is more is that she is making great progress.
What is your problem with the fact that we have been there and done that to ourselves with the way you want us too??
can't .. won't.. sorry.
Please feel free to make your own choices.. but I still wonder about what sort of thing is in your craw since you won't leave this issue alone.. starting new threads about it on such a continual basis?
Your way... got me to the point that I am severally insulin resistant, and with my family background THAT is a bad thing.
I guess I could do it your way if I had to accept the fact that living on 600 Kcal and running 9 miles of hills a day is normal.
its not.
Mike, just hear us. GO do it your way. Live happy and in peace.
But leave others to make their life decisions.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 16:02

BF:

Sorry, Mike...

Anorexia is about being willing to starve yourself to achieve a goal which definitely does not include me. There is a big difference between being unwilling to accept an unhealthy weight by medical standards and losing that excess weight at a healthy pace and starving yourself to achieve a weight loss of 30-40 lbs in a month's time. Sure, it's human nature to want that excess weight gone tomorrow. After all, we live in a society that has been weaned on instant gratification, but it's also common sense to realize that it would be unhealthy to try and make that desire reality.
Eating 1,000 calories a day definitely qualifies as starvation no matter how you want to put it or how much you wish to protest that it isn't. Anything that supplies less than your basic metabolic needs in calories is starvation.
As I said before, anorexia begins with the mindset before the behavior ever starts. The mindset that says "I will be thin in as short a period as possible no matter what the cost to my health."
My mindset is more along the lines of "I will reach a healthy weight no matter how long it takes and enjoy myself and what I'm eating along the way."
Also, eating 1,800 calories a day would not be considered starvation as I'm consuming plently of calories to support my basic metabolic needs. Where I get the calories from (fats, proteins and small amounts of carbs) doesn't matter as far as anorexia goes. Furthermore, I didn't begin low carbing specifically to lose weight, but to deal with an out of control blood sugar. The weight loss has been a great side benefit, but my primary concern was dealing with the diabetes which is why I'm more than content to go along losing a pound a week because my primary objective (controlling my blood sugar and getting off medication) has been achieved.
I'd also like to point out that "depriving" myself of things like ice cream at this point is not anorexic behavior, but rather the behavior of a diabetic who doesn't particularly like the idea of having to be on insulin for the rest of my life and the truth is, I actually DO eat ice cream from time to time...it's just the sugar free kind.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Dec-22-02 at 18:39.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 17:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

>>"High Fat does not work as Ketosis means nothing if there is no caloric deficit."

Incorrect. You can eat plenty of fat and <b>still maintain a caloric deficit</b>, but not so much that your metabolism slows down. <b>That</b> would be totally counter-productive.

>>"A good Diet is a low calorie Low carb, Low fat, High protein diet."

Incorrect. A low-calorie, low-carb, low-fat, high-protein diet is <b>malnutrition</b>. A good diet includes the vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, fiber, essential fatty acids, etc <b>from their natural sources</b> that you need to be healthy.

>>"And dont listen to people who say your metabolism will die or enter the so called "starvation mode" there is no such thing as starvation mode."

Oh yes there is. The symptoms include fatigue, poor circulation, cold extremities, lowered body temperature, lower heart rate, lower blood pressure, mental confusion, depressed mood, early morning waking, etc. It evolved to protect us during times of famine. If it doesn't exist, what caused those things to happen to me every time I went on a low-calorie, low-fat diet?

>>"wanting to lose weight quickly is a natural human response in this society, this does not classify them as anorexic."

<b>Wanting</b> it is normal. <b>Attempting</b> it is not. Eating disorders are defined by <b>behaviour</b>, not by how much is still left on their body.

>>"thats anorexic behavior."

Uh, no; actually, it's the behaviour of someone who wants to avoid insulin resistance, diabetes, obesity and lipid disorders; or someone who's treating one of those conditions.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Dec-22-02 at 17:57.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 22:14

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I eat

leaner proteins
lots of lc veggies
and an adequate amount of essential fatty acids
with a multivitamin every day.
I eat whenever I want to.
I don't eat processed foods/trans/hydrog fats.

No weightloss tricks/drugs or fads.

It is a low carb diet / my carbs are 10-30 daily

I walk an hour a day - good fat burning exercise.
I don't want to build muscle/I have plenty!

I feel fine.
Great skin.
Maintaining weightloss and happy.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 09:55
Registered Member

Plan: Life Without Bread
Stats: 176/172/172
BF:12%
Progress: 100%
Default One thing to add....

It looks like this thread has been adequately explored. But I will add one thing: High protein diets that do not have enough animal fat in them are, in the long run, harmful to the body because the diet will lack vitamin A, only found in animal fats, and the body needs that vitamin to properly utilize protein.

I'm sure someone will reply that they take a vitamin pill to get vitamin A so they don't need to eat the fat, but vitamin pills are not the same as food and, let's face it, if you tried your diet 100 years ago when vitamin pills weren't available, you'd be up the creek without a paddle in time.

Besides all of that, there are a number of fatty acids (not just EFAs) that provide benefit to the body--vitamin pills do not supply these.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 11:40

BF:
Progress:

The animal proteins I eat are LEAN
or leanER cuts, not fat free.

There are many benefits from eating
proteins and fats of all kinds, but some
do the body more good than others
(trans-fatty acids/hydrogenated
not so great for you)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 17:07

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Then you take a supplement like ephedrine.

Do you know the dangers of ephedrine???

Ephedra is one of the most dangerous of the dietary supplements.

Over 800 injuries have been reported by users and doctors to the FDA and various state medical bodies, including more than 50 deaths.
Most of these cases involve the heart attacks or high blood pressure leading to bleeding in the brain or stroke.

Recent studies sho wthat many people are seriously injured by the use of ephedrine. They are often unaware that ephedrine suppliers are can make wide ranging health claims about the product that have no scientific basis. Nor is there any mention of the potential for dangerous side effects. Because the industry was lobbyed to pass a law deregulating these products in l994, the FDA has been unable to regulate these products.

http://www.ephedrine-ephedra.com/pa...de_effects.html

I am not willing to die to be thin. I want a healthy heart so I can be thin and live a good long time.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 19:26

BF:
Progress:

I would never use ephedrine ever...not worth it.
I think they will ban it soon anyway...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 21:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/293/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Did the math but...?

Mike, please update your stats so we can see your success. My calculations - 16 weeks ~ 7 days = 112 days ~ 1 lb. per day...Wow! According to your "beliefs" it sounds like you may be anorexic.

It's such a shame people aren't always willing to take the time to understand eating disorders, perhaps this is part of the reason that they are so debilitating to so many people. I am bulimic - have been for about 20 years. I remember a person telling me one time that there is no way I could be bulimic because I'm so overweight....I shake my head!

Good luck to everyone....we are all doing fantastic, feeling great, and in the words of Cosmo Kramer "lovin' every minute of it."