Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 09:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default I adore kombucha

Yes, it's trendy, but I don't care. So is ketogenic, right? Trendy is sometimes because it is so darn good.

Got it for my husband to help his digestive issues regarding his periodic antibiotic therapy. It worked so well we now get gallon jugs at our local kombucha bar. These growlers can be washed at home and refilled for lowering expenses.

I check the labels for the ones with lowest carb counts, which can be 2-4 a cup. I've grown quite fond of the cheap wine taste, too; there is minimal alcohol. This is a fermented beverage, after all, with the gut healing benefits of such.

In my own case, the good benefits outweigh any carb count considerations, because it has a vinegar-like effect on blood sugar control.

Quote:
The findings revealed that kombucha tea administration induced attractive curative effects on diabetic rats, particularly in terms of liver-kidney functions. Kombucha tea can, therefore, be considered as a potential strong candidate for future application as a functional supplement for the treatment and prevention of diabetes.

Hypoglycemic and antilipidemic properties of kombucha tea in alloxan-induced diabetic rats
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 10:41

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

There are also studies showing benefits of plain black tea--so it's hard to know how much of the benefit comes from the fermentation--fermented kombucha outperformed sugary black tea, but unsugared black tea? Sugary black tea and kombucha both outperformed controls in the diabetic group. I'm not even saying that I'm certain things would have looked better without the sugar in the black tea, in some contexts, since fructose doesn't immediately increase insulin in comparison to glucose, things might actually look better, the sugar could actually reduce insulin requirements if it results in less glucose/starch being eaten.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 10:48

BF:

I drink a lot of black, green, and herbal teas. Nothing works like kombucha.

This is coming from a place where, for months, my husband and I drank vinegar in water after meals. Still... nothing works like kombucha.

Maybe a combo of vinegar and black tea? Didn't try that. But kombucha tastes a lot better
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 11:19

BF:

I'm not saying kombucha doesn't work, it's got a long list of organic molecules, like acetic acid, lactic acid, bits of alcohol etc. shown individually to improve blood glucose control. Just saying for this particular study, I wonder what difference the sugar in the black tea made.

I've never managed to keep up vinegar in drinks. I do like it added to stir fry.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 12:24

BF:

Oh, I agree; in fermented things, the sugar is there to fuel the ferment, but what did the sugar in the tea do in this study?

Were they Southerners and can’t conceive of tea, otherwise?

I don’t mind vinegar water, but the kombucha is both tastier and seemingly more active, so I consider it an upgrade. But isn’t it a rare culture that doesn’t ferment something?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 12:35

BF:

It is, but we used to have less food preservation and flavour enhancement options than we have today. I don't know that it's essential, but at worst it's a harmless way to increase enjoyment of food, I'm all for it. But I suspect when it comes to carb count, sometimes people want to call things like yogurt or kefir a bit lower in carbohydrate than they really are, that can be harmless in certain contexts, but if you look at kids on 4:1 diets etc. where the carb count seems to be a bit more precise, people count all the carbs in yogurt, mix heavy cream with sour cream to make "keto yogurt," etc.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 13:38
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I was making Kombucha for a while; very easy to make and doesn't cost a lot. Black tea, some sugar, and Kombucha scoby, that's it. It can be flavored with herbs and fruit but I prefer it plain; I love the acidic taste.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 03:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Were they Southerners and can’t conceive of tea, otherwise?
No need for snarky regional comments This after I was tempted yesterday to comment that you must live on the trendy West Coast...where else could you get Growlers in a dedicated Kombucha Bar!! Is that for real? Certainly not in the Carolinas, though a food truck is breaking into the fresh brewed market. And I can buy it in Costco now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-10-17 at 04:07.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 08:33

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I was making kombucha as well, but was getting uncomfortable with the amount of sugar I realized i was consuming. Despite whatever the actual carb count is, I prize the fact that I am off of refined sugar completely for all the other health benefits of being drug free (sugar being the drug).

Kombucha goes through stages of fermentation and basically you taste test till you like the flavour, then bottle and refridgerate the drink to halt the process at that point. However, the reason it tastes good is that there is still refined sugar in the liquid. At the point where all the sugar is consumed by the bacterial colony, it will taste like vinegar.

I now make it into vinegar on purpose. I like the flavour as an alterative to apple cider vinegar on salads and in herbal and bone broth drinks plus I still get the probiotic benefits of fermentation.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-17, 17:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
No need for snarky regional comments This after I was tempted yesterday to comment that you must live on the trendy West Coast...where else could you get Growlers in a dedicated Kombucha Bar!! Is that for real? Certainly not in the Carolinas, though a food truck is breaking into the fresh brewed market. And I can buy it in Costco now.

When I am struggling with my health I get digestive and appetite problems. That makes up for the extra carbs. I’m doing two meals a day.