Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Asked but forgot...

I was on 20 carbs a day for almost a year, switched to 50-ish when my dr. recommended it after going nowhere for months. What is the high-water mark considered "low carb?" Right now I am between 50-55 every day and also low calorie, losing about a pound a week which makes me happy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Good question. Glad you found a way to lose!

I've seen plans like life without bread considered low carb that's about 70 carbs. I think the actual answer is that its a very individual number.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 16:24

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The high-water mark varies from person to person and it sounds like you have found your sweet spot. Mine is 30-35g max and >35g starts making me hungry, thinking about food all the time and craving carbs (which is exactly what led to all my high-carb low-cal diets failing). Eating <30g keeps me on an even keel, losing and maintaining. Others can tolerate ~100g.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 16:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. There's no firm number, but IMO, it doesn't have to be ketogenic or induction-level low to be "low."

I'd consider 50 pretty low, especially if you're very active. The Eades of Protein Power had people starting out at 30-40 and increasing (if desired) from there.

Much higher than 70-ish, I'd call it "carb controlled", not necessarily low carb. A lot of paleo folks would fall into that category, for example. A lot of folks in maintenance, too.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 02:45

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

In the past I've read that under 100g of carbohydrate intake is considered low carb. Perhaps this is because the average adult was considered to be on 300g per day.
300g carbs! sheesh thatsa whole lotta (junky) food to me lol
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 04:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Thanks for the good answers. I'm in the right place.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 09:05

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Low-carbohydrate nutrition and metabolism by Eric C Westman, Richard D Feinman, John C Mavropoulos, Mary C Vernon, Jeff S Volek, James A Wortman, William S Yancy, and Stephen D Phinney

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/2/276.long

Quote:
Definition of low-carbohydrate diet

Much of the controversy in the study of LCDs stems from a lack of a clear definition. The rationale of carbohydrate restriction is that, in response to lower glucose availability, changes in insulin and glucagon concentrations will direct the body away from fat storage and toward fat oxidation. There is a suggestion of a threshold effect, which has led to the clinical recommendation of very low concentrations of carbohydrate (<20–50 g/d) in the early stages of popular diets. This typically leads to the presence of measurable ketones in the urine and has been referred to as a very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (VLCKD) or a low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet (LCKD). Potent metabolic effects are seen with such diets but, beyond the threshold response, there appears to be a continuous response to carbohydrate reduction. The nutritional intake of <200 g carbohydrate/d has been called an LCD, but most experts would not consider that to provide the metabolic changes associated with an LCKD. We suggest that LCD refers to a carbohydrate intake in the range of 50–150 g/d, which is above the level of generation of urinary ketones for most people.