Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default How do you know when you're scale is off?

At my diet club they have a new digital scale I always weigh less there. My scale rounds to 0.5 lbs and I weighed 182.5 but on their scale I weighed 181.6.

Last night at the diet club I confessed to eating something off plan because I knew I was up, then I weighed on their scale and hadn't gained. I didn't actually need to confess!

Is it some function of rounding or does my scale need replacing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 05:53

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Bring your scale to the diet club and try both side by side. The you will know. Bring one or two gallon water jugs and fill them up at the Diet Club (love that name reminds me of Fight Club )

Fully loaded up with an extra 15 or so pounds of water see if the scales still agree with the difference between each other.

If the difference is large, get a new scale - I'm assuming the Diet Club's scale would be more accurate than yours but that's a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) - If the difference between the two (by difference I mean the difference in the weighed water) then I'd just keep using your own scale and know they'll be different by x lbs.

I completely trust my scale but I did spend a few hundtred dollars on one. It's basically this one with a stand. Model discontinued http://www.scalesgalore.com/product...product_id=6801

OR, you can not care about what you weigh and consider the mater solved You don't have much control over that day to day - or even long term anyway in my opinion.

Can you imagine the percision of the body to keep you withing the normal human range of weight for 50 years?! to me that's incredible and I didn't do a damn thing to make it so. It just happened by itself. Your body is here, it is a survival machine.

When was the last time you controlled how many breaths you breathed in one day? Me? Never.

If you do like to weigh yourself, get the best scale you can afford. I think this would preclude buy one from Walmart or Target.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Great idea, going to the dr today, they should be accurate.

My scale is at least 20 years old. I'm trying to do the 5lb challenge using the diet club scale but then I'm up 2lbs the next day on my home scale.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I've learned not to expect exact weights from any scale. Usually if I weigh myself at home and then someone else's house or the doctor's office, they are within two lbs. Sometimes my scale jumps around but I just make sure it is set to zero. Three years ago I bought a fancy digital scale that gave tenths of a pound and I took it back when I saw that it would give different weights in the same time period. That is, step on it, write it down, step on it again seconds later, the weight is different. I don't consider that reliable if you're paying a fortune for the tenths of a pound. My ancient Sunbeam scale with the needle is good enough - really, it's not the half lb. or so we might lose in a day - or 2 lbs. from indulging one day - it's the results one week to the next. So stay with your old scale, and just compare it with what you weigh on other scales sometimes.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 06:44

Plan: Induction
Stats: 265/258/200 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:
Smile Scales

Anytime my scale disagrees with me, it's wrong. Pure and simple. I prefer to Tare out my scale with a bag of sand before weighing myself.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 00:30

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I think it's fairly hard to weigh the same on different scales. I decided to get a the Eat Smart scale on Amazon (26,000+ very positive, enthusiastic reviews) and it's only $16.95 now (when I bought mine a couple of years ago it was $29). It works great, the AA batteries last a long time (close to a year, I think), the display is big and it measures to two tenths of a pound, such as 150.2, 150.4 etc.

Then I just track my weight every morning on MY scales, not on any others, which will of course be different. Weight fluctuates daily and throughout the day anyway, so what we use the scales for is to track weight TRENDS. It's best to pick a time of day, and always weigh yourself at the same time every day.