Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 16:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default powdered coffee creamer

Is coffee creamer (with all its chemicals, I know) a better choice than half and half or light cream? I can't take this black coffee! I drink about four cups of coffee a day so the calories and carbs add up. I did some creamer research and know it's got a lot of crap in it but I can deal with it. I just wondered if anyone had substituted milk for "creemer" because of issues with dairy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 18:20
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm slightly confused because of your last sentence, are you talking lactose intolerance?

I'm too shy to use roommates kitchen for much so I use powdered creamer. I find myself barely getting through one cup a day now. I don't care for the chalky chemical flavor. I use sugar free but it seems freakishly overly sweet.

My favorite coffee flavor wise is bullet coffee.

I have issues with dairy, cream doesn't bother me that much.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 18:49

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%

I enjoy my morning coffee I have about 3/4 ounce of cream in it and it's delicious. It's 1 carb. On Atkins Induction it's 2-3 tablespoons per day or you could add more 'cream-usage' on the higher rungs.
My DH who is not on a diet, uses Coffeemate (a creamer) it has 2.3g carbs per 4g

Last edited by bluej : Mon, Sep-04-17 at 19:00.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 19:22

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I tried a product recently called Nutpod that was pretty good. It has 0 carbs. I had the hazelnut flavor. You might want to try it as long as you don't have nut allergies.

https://www.nutpods.com/collections

They're unsweetened so I had to sweeten myself with stevia.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 04:32
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I don't do dairy, so I use sugar-free almond milk in my coffee. It has less than 1 carb and 30 kcals per 8 oz/1 cup.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 05:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I'm slightly confused because of your last sentence, are you talking lactose intolerance?

No, just cutting out dairy products except for Greek yogurt.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 15:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I think if you're still eating yogurt, you may as well have real cream in your coffee over the fake stuff which is actually made from sugar and bad oils. I'd go with either the nut milks, or try bulletproof coffee - coffee frothed up with coconut oil in a blender. It's surprisingly creamy. You can buy unflavoured coconut oil (expeller pressed) if the idea of coconut-flavoured coffee makes you gag (like it does me. ) Some people use butter in the BPC; and if you wanted to avoid most of the dairy proteins, you could use clarified butter. A lot of otherwise dairy-free folks use clarified butter without aggravating intolerances.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 15:22

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I put one heaping teaspoon of natural virgin coconut oil in my coffee every morning. When you whip it up in a blender or a smoothie maker it looks just like creamer, but tastes WAY better. Also, the MCT's in coconut oil are supposed to help you lose weight and add extra energy.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 15:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'd go with either the nut milks, or try bulletproof coffee - coffee frothed up with coconut oil in a blender. It's surprisingly creamy. You can buy unflavoured coconut oil (expeller pressed) if the idea of coconut-flavoured coffee makes you gag (like it does me. )

Odd, I tried both cold pressed and expeller pressed and can't detect any difference at all. Also I read this:

"The higher temperatures at which expeller-pressed oil is processed impart a toasted, nutty flavor. The more heat used to extract the oil, the more toasted the oil tastes. Because cold-pressed coconut oil is processed at or below 120 degrees, it has a more neutral, mild coconut flavor similar to eating raw coconut meat."

http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ed-coconut-oil/

I just love the taste

You might be thinking of refined coconut oil which has had all the flavors (and nutrients) removed.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 05:04

BF:

Now I can't wait to try to coconut oil, which I have on hand and use in my hair! A good coffee is so vital!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-06-17, 06:42
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Setting coffeemate on fire. But you've probably already seen one of these videos.

HWC (heavy whipping cream) is a staple in LC eating. I gave up dairy for a long time, not because of intolerance per se but to end a stall. I use it now, just not every day.

Even though I'm not religious about it, my goal is : Eat real food.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 04:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
Odd, I tried both cold pressed and expeller pressed and can't detect any difference at all.

Tropical Traditions expeller-pressed oil has no scent or flavour, and same for the brand I buy, Omega Nutrition.

Either way, I'll only eat virgin/EV coconut oil if I want the taste of coconuts - in a dessert, a Thai curry, or fat bombs with a ton of chocolate to mostly cover it up.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-07-17, 05:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Tropical Traditions expeller-pressed oil has no scent or flavour, and same for the brand I buy, Omega Nutrition.

It may be just that brand, it also say their brand "goes through a steam deodorizing process the taste is very bland". The one I got says "organic unrefined virgin coconut oil - expeller pressed" - its Walmart Great Value brand, and it smells and tastes very coconutty My wife has some cold pressed that she also uses for hair and skin treatments.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 12:44

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

It's true what they say on the Coffee Mate - highly flammable. I worked for Nestle at one time and it had to be kept in a special section of the warehouse with extra fire suppression.

If you suspect you have a problem with dairy, my advice is to just dump the cream. Add extra water to your coffee at first....eventually you will be ok with drinking it. I was a cream addict, and once I cut it out, the scale began to move. I didn't think I could do coffee without...yet here I am.

I have issues with coconut oil, so don't use that (shreds my insides), but I do occasionally do an "egg latte". One egg cracked into the blender, sprinkle of nutmeg and/or cinnamon or some vanilla extract. Blend it up and stream in a cup or so of hot coffee. Gets nice and creamy with some foam on top. Delicious and dairy free. Doesn't taste like egg
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-08-17, 14:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Non-dairy powdered creamers, when I read the ingredients, I realized they contained everything I was trying to eliminate. Not surprised that they are flammable. They likely cause inflammation as well.