Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 17:13

Plan: I don't know
Stats: 189/181/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Intermittent Fasting

I have heard great success abput intermittent fasting and was wondering how it works? What hours do you eat? Also, what do I do if I am on a set schedule during the day in terms of eating?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I didn,t start imf until I was several months into the diet. I settled into a four hour eating window . What worked best for me was to pre determine what I was going to eat during my eating window to eliminate any internal thoughts of allowing myself to over eat during my eating time. I at between 3 and 7. I usually broke the fast with a serving of meat or hard cheese waited two hours then had a large salad, then waited a hour and had a sf jello cup with two tblsp whipped cream on top. The weight flew off doing that and after the first week or so it became a easy and comfortable way to eat. When I hit goal I decided to revise my goal down even more and did a six week challenge by adding two full fasting days to my imf plan and settled on the ending weight as my final goal. I regret adding the two fasting days for the last 6 weeks because that low of cals left my really hungry for a full month after it. I have kept at goal but with great effort because of the hunger. IMF by itself didn,t cause any hunger after the first few weeks but the two full fast days did. Possibly because my weight was low at that point. I have kept it that way by continuing to journal every bight I take so I really know where I stand day to day and as a total. Its really easy to forget a slightly high carb or calorie day but the body doesn,t it stores it as fat if you don,t recognize it and compromise on another day. It becomes all about ballance
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 02:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The recent popularity of IF grew out of its use to bring down BG in diabetes; this thread on Dr Jason Fung has the information you want.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472377
Highly recommend the guides and videos on DietDoctor. https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

My suggestion would be that you are solidly fat-adapted before trying IF; it is much easier to fast when a natural result of reduced appetite. Fat adaptation may require 4-6 weeks of eating VLC with no off-plan foods, no sugar, no starch. First, pick a plan and read about low carb diets. The LCHF diet at the lowest carb level of less than 20g is good, either Atkins induction http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482. Or this: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

This forum does not support extended fasting but eating windows of 4-6 hours fit well into long standing LC advice.
Eat when hungry. Stop when full.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Aug-21-17 at 04:38.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-21-17, 13:35

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I keep it simple. I stop eating around 8 p.m. and start eating around noon the following day.

Last edited by barb712 : Mon, Aug-21-17 at 13:43.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 08:57

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
I keep it simple. I stop eating around 8 p.m. and start eating around noon the following day.

That's what most of my days look like, too. But I add in two 23hr fast days per week, when I only eat dinner. I find this works well for me.

Mary
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 09:42

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I don't have a set schedule of IF. I take it day to day. DH never had a weight problem and just doesn't understand. It took him a long time to accept that I am not going to eat carbs. There are times when he wants me to eat with him, so I do, even if we are not eating the same things. Other days he just eats on his own and I take advantage of those days to do just one meal a day. My body really enjoys those long stretches of gnawing hunger. I get to the point of feeling like I'll die, but I wait it out and that feeling goes away. This has greatly reduced my blood sugar readings, too. I guess I do 4 days of 2 meals a day and 3 days of 1 meal a day.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 10:24

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

It really helps my bg. I eat breakfast & 5-6 hours later, lunch. Then nothing until morning. It was hard at first, but now I rarely feel hungry. Sometimes I just want to eat to be eating so I either chew SF gum or have a cup of broth with butter or a cup of herb tea. None seem to affect my bg.

I expect the wanting to eat will fade with time.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 08:37

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Before I married DH, I only ate breakfast and lunch. Back then I was thin and had not yet developed diabetes. Marrying DH, as much as I love him, has not been healthy for me. He had a very bad influence on my eating habits. Dinner is very important to him, and MUST contain potatoes!! However, he is not the one putting the food in my mouth....I am.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 12:36

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

It is a fact that most people does fasting when they sleep, unless they wake up to eat in the middle of night.

A good plan is just to make it fast longer. For example, if you stop eating from 6PM to 8AM, that would be 14 hours fasting each day.

Google Can Fasting 13 Hours or More at Night Reduce Recurrence Risk?

Even better, if you eat one meal per day, that would be 20+ hours fasting everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godhelpme
I have heard great success abput intermittent fasting and was wondering how it works? What hours do you eat? Also, what do I do if I am on a set schedule during the day in terms of eating?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 14:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. What is your "set schedule" for eating? Is it related to your family, your job, medications...?

I go in and out of IF. I think it's an excellent strategy for many people, including myself, not just for weight loss and blood sugar control but overall health. However - I have a pretty low threshold of frustration after a decade of low-fat starvation, so I refuse to push myself. I'm fed up of deliberately starving. It's like the old joke, "would I actually live longer or would it just feel like it?"

When I feel up to it and get in the natural groove for it, it works out well for me to just have my morning coffee, and then wait until I'm hungry to eat. I'll have an early-ish dinner and then just have plain tea or water after that. That makes for a good 18-hour fast. Sometimes, I'll even skip my lunch at work and just have nothing but coffee until dinner - but not unless I'm honestly comfortable with it. It depends on my work schedule, the time of year, my hormones, etc.

I agree with Janet - get established in good LC eating first. Don't look at it as a short cut. Do some reading about it, and maybe do some journalling to get back in touch with your appetite and emotions regarding food. You sound a bit desperate in your other thread - chillax, enjoy the good food and enjoy not starving.

Best of luck.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 14:53

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Lovely post Kristine. I am listening.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 09:20
Registered Member

Stats: 286.8/257.7/190 Female 70 inches  (5'10")
BF:
Progress: 30%

There is so much conflicting info out there. It's overwhelming. I believe in the original book, Dr. Atkins said you shouldn't go more that six hours without eating. And of course you always hear that it's better for your metabolism to eat several small meals a day. But then all this initial research, along with anecdotal evidence, that IF has dramatically positive results for metabolism, blood sugar, weight loss, brain function etc. I'm torn!!!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 09:57

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree with the comments that all should become fat adapted with a healthy LCHF protocol first before trying anything else. Many want to accelerate things, and there's really no need if you're staying consistent with your approach. Get through the transition completely, and this may take 3-6 months. Get comfortable with a LCHF WOE. When you're totally adapted and have a routine that you know won't change, you are much better positioned to try other things, IF being one.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 10:04

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If only Dr Atkins had lived long enough to engage the current generation of IF promoters like Dr Fung. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall.

IF is my primary WOE. I had an eating window for several years, then added LC to it by climbing down the carb ladder, banning sugar and grains, and potatoes only once in a blue moon. I mostly eat in a one hour window each day and fast clean - water, plain black coffee, plain green tea only.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 13:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I suspect he'd have an open ear. When he wrote about the fat fast, he described water fasting as a good option--but then sold his fat fast as an easier way to get pretty much the same effect.