Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 17:54

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 245/235/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default High cholesterol as a result of Atkins?

I read all over the place that while on Atkins my bad LDL cholesterol should go down. I went on Atkins for one month before I had to stop due to having diarrhea as a result of it. I got my cholesterol tested a couple days after getting off of Atkins and was surprised to see my bad cholesterol had shot up to the "very high" bracket and my total cholesterol was also in the "high" bracket. I'm only 30 years old.

Should my cholesterol go down now that I've cut out much of the fat I was eating before while on Atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 18:18

Plan: aitkinish
Stats: 172/140/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 62%

Sorry no medical answer for you regarding the "should it go down" but found the same thing. My cholesterol went up. No diarrhea for me..just happened to have my visit for annual blood test's.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 03:23

Plan: Atkins, ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 178.5/154/150 Female 172 cm
BF:37/37/25
Progress: 86%

Take a look at this for a simplified explanation how LCHF affects cholesterol levels. Dave Feldman's a geeky researcher, lots of good science on his site.
http://cholesterolcode.com/a-simple...ow-carb-part-i/

I did his Feldman Protocol of high fat and calories intake for 3 days in May before my blood work, and my cholesterol dropped to normal, and trigs to 35. It worked for me! http://cholesterolcode.com/extreme-...rop-experiment/
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 05:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

We have an entire forum on Cholesterol .. check the sticky on top why LDL may go up.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48

The simplest explanation is that you lost fat while you were on Atkins, the fatty acids are released into the blood.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...nfuses-doctors/

More info if worried about cholesterol. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=466506
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-17, 17:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I really don't think you can draw any conclusions after making a drastic diet change (of any type, LC or otherwise), staying on it for a month, having serious digestion problems that add to bodily stress, reverting to your old diet, and then getting your lipids drawn. Your eating and weight should be stable.

As suggested, take a look at this sticky thread, and then try plugging your numbers into this calculator. What are your results?

Long story short, LDL is not routinely measured. It's calculated using a formula that is simply wrong when you have low triglycerides (which is good, and typical of all of us following a LC WOE.) Being in the process of losing weight also seems to screw things up. I'd wait until I was maintaining (whether at your ultimate goal or not) to put much into a lipid profile. And even now, I take it with a grain of salt.

My most recent numbers: TC 198, HDL 90, Trig 43, LDL 99 ... by the traditional and probably wrong Frieldwald equation. With the Iranian equation? 68.

I'd figure out an eating plan, stick with it, and once your weight is stable, have them redrawn.

Good luck and good health.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 11:51

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Check Dr.Eades recent post here.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-17, 17:40

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35

A lot of people get constipated when they first started the diet. I get diarrhea. Its just your body adjusting to the diet. It passes after a few days or so. If you would get your LDL particle size tested it would show large fluffy particles as apposed to the bad small tiny particle size that is so common in low fat, which causes heart disease
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 12:56

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I just want to point out Low Carb or Control Carb does not equal High Cholesterol.

Yes, if you eat lots of meats/eggs, you will get High Cholesterol.

BUT eat lots of meats/eggs does not equal to Low Carb or Control Carb.

Low Carb or Control Carb does not equal to eating lots of meats/eggs.

Low Carb or Control Carb is just a tool to stop vicious eating cycles.

In order to gain weight, one must eat both carb/sugar and fat.

This is why one whose BMI > 30 loses weight automatically when they control their Carb. Without sugar and carb, it is disgusting to eat more.
Try greasy meal yourself without the help of sugar and carb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywort8
I read all over the place that while on Atkins my bad LDL cholesterol should go down. I went on Atkins for one month before I had to stop due to having diarrhea as a result of it. I got my cholesterol tested a couple days after getting off of Atkins and was surprised to see my bad cholesterol had shot up to the "very high" bracket and my total cholesterol was also in the "high" bracket. I'm only 30 years old.

Should my cholesterol go down now that I've cut out much of the fat I was eating before while on Atkins?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 14:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

http://zdoggmd.com/against-medical-advice-019/

Guess it's my turn to post this. Dave Feldman has done some experimentation showing that increased fat intake on a low carb diet actually decreases ldl cholesterol. Ldl cholesterol goes up during starvation--it seems to relate to how much a person is depending on their fat stores for energy. That would explain why a very low fat diet results in low ldl as well, since reliance on fat stores on a very high carb diet becomes very low. Dr. Eades' post linked to by dan rose also goes into this. So it's possible that eating lots of meat, especially lots of fatty meat, would lower cholesterol.

In the context of a mixed diet--carbohydrate competes more aggressively vs. body fat as an energy source, perhaps this plus variation in various types of fatty acids and their effects on fat storage vs. mobilization and oxidation has something to do with the effect of fat choice in a mixed diet on levels of ldl cholesterol.

Personally, I relish a nice greasy meal, but it did take some getting used to.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 07:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
I just want to point out Low Carb or Control Carb does not equal High Cholesterol.

I've read some people complaining that their cholesterol went up following low carb and keto diet. It does happen but I don't think it has anything to do with heart disease. My mother had high cholesterol (265 with statins) about 400 and she never had heart disease. I think the cholesterol issue is false and people need to get off low fat diets. She could never stay on the statins cause they made her so sick and she ended up going off them after a month or two. I highly don't recommend anyone go on statins. They will kill you, not heart disease!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-26-17, 12:46

BF:

I intentionally NOT mention cholesterol level vs health, because we still do not know enough to say anything.

My eye doctor in routine examination told me I had extreme high cholesterol by reading my eyes 2 years ago.

I started experiment different diets which solve my high cholesterol problems and Gout attack problems(and some others).

The point is one can have both low carb/control carb and still have low cholesterol if you worry about cholesterol level.

The other point is we still do not know enough of cholesterol level vs health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I've read some people complaining that their cholesterol went up following low carb and keto diet. It does happen but I don't think it has anything to do with heart disease. My mother had high cholesterol (265 with statins) about 400 and she never had heart disease. I think the cholesterol issue is false and people need to get off low fat diets. She could never stay on the statins cause they made her so sick and she ended up going off them after a month or two. I highly don't recommend anyone go on statins. They will kill you, not heart disease!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-17, 08:58

At locarb4avr - I know enough to know that cholesterol affecting health is better if its higher. I totally don't agree with you. You should visit www.dietdoctor.com and watch the videos siting studies on cholesterol and come up to the millennium
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 13:31

BF:

Not to argue with you, but you have to understand cholesterol level is one of the indicators. It is an effect produced by other factors in your body.

For example, blood sugar level is one of the indicators of many other diseases/symptoms/causes/results...

You eat lots of carbs or sugar affecting your blood sugar level.

My point is blood sugar level does not go up and down by itself.

Same as cholesterol level does not go up and down by itself.

Conclusion, human body is an extreme complex machine. Most people and scientists have not enough Big Data information to understand the whole picture. Most scientists have no multiple degrees/knowledge/fields/information... to connect all the dots.

So when some people say something based on the experiments they did or some statistic data they manipulated, I know some other experiments/research/statistic data say otherwise.

I always wonder why they not know?
Because the other information is not in their fields of knowledge/information...???
They just don't have knowledge/time to do Big Data???
They do not have background to understand the other fields of knowledge???

I am not writing books here and do not intend to quote all the journals/scientific articles here. I am telling you what I know. It is up to you to make your own sound judgment.

FYI, always ask the web sites quote their source of the information if you really care that information. If you do not understand the source of that information, ask someone to read them for you.

Below is a quote from the latest discovery related to this argument.

"...that targeting inflammation alone (as opposed to lowering blood cholesterol and other fats) could reduce the risk of heart attack."

http://fortune.com/2017/08/28/novar...cer-heart-risk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
At locarb4avr - I know enough to know that cholesterol affecting health is better if its higher. I totally don't agree with you. You should visit www.dietdoctor.com and watch the videos siting studies on cholesterol and come up to the millennium

Last edited by locarb4avr : Mon, Aug-28-17 at 15:12.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 15:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

LDL can go up along with HDL, but triglycerides go to the basement along with VLDL.

It's all GOOD
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
Not to argue with you, but you have to understand cholesterol level is one of the indicators. It is an effect produced by other factors in your body.

Well I guess I'll be a lab rat along with thousands of others who follow diet doctor and follow High Fat low carb. I still don't agree with you. And those 'studies' are funded by whoever wants to tip the favor on their side. I work in medicine.