Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 22:30

Plan: why we get fat
Stats: 300/295/240 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:
Default are there any zero carb jerky or meat stick brands?

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as beef jerky or meat stick (e.g. pepperoni) snacks that have absolutely no carbs or sugar at all? I am not worried about fat, just carbs or sugar.

I have been looking at brands in the store and almost everything has some amount of carbs.

Are there any brands with zero carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 22:42

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, I have bought a lot of beef jerky without any carbs. Just read the nutritional info to choose the right one. Teriyaki always has sugar so definitely don't choose that one. Just regular flavor usually has 0carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 01:26

Plan: why we get fat
Stats: 300/295/240 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I have bought a lot of beef jerky without any carbs.

Are there any specific brands you would recommend? I have looked in 2 supermarkets so far and found that all their brands have at least some carbs. On Amazon it is a little difficult to tell how many carbs different brands have since not all of them have a picture of their nutrition. However, all the Amazon ones I can find nutrition info on have some carbs (some less than others).

I am beginning to wonder if there is such a thing as a zero carb pepperoni stick or beef jerky.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 02:05
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

A meat market in the next towne sells both beef or turkey jerky in chunks by the pound. They cure and dry it all by themselves -- they will even slice it for you to order. It likely has half-life shorter than boudin though

I think most meat cured, like bacon or sausage, have some sugar in/on them and lots of salt -- I seldom worry much about it though.

All dried meats are, by necessity, very lean. I think pemmican is a better choice for low-carbing.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 07:22

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I agree it is hard to truly find 0 carb jerky. Some packages will list 0 carbs but with a serving size of LESS than one ounce! The ingredient list tells the real story showing sugar and brown sugar added to many common commercial brands. Jack Links, Oberto, Bridgford, Perky Jerky, all have carbs.

If you don't mind paying a premium, you can find some high end gourmet jerky - Paleojerky which you can buy online from Stevespaleogoods. It has no msg and is from grass feed beef, but they do add apple juice concentrate and pineapple juice concentrate. You mentioned amazon - Biltong is a sugar free brand sold there. Again, pretty pricey.

Jerky is similar to pork rinds - you would think it would be 0 carbs until you check the serving size and ingredient list. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 08:10

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

It's really easy to make beef jerky, if you can get your butcher to slice an eye of round very thin for you.

I make a soy/pepper marinade for the beef strips, then put the strips in a cheap dehydrator (one of those plastic round jobbies with multiple trays), but you also can put them on wire cookie racks in your oven on very low (with a tray in the bottom to catch drips so your oven doesn't get nasty). Search for "oven jerky" and you'll find lots of recipes.

We used to make jerky from about 15 pounds of beef each year before camping for a week. Three or four different flavors. It doesn't have the preservatives that store-bought has, so you do have to be careful of mold if you don't dry it thoroughly, or if you use a thick marinade. But if you just use salt and pepper, you don't have to worry as much.

I agree, though, with the poster who spoke about pemmican. Beef jerky is great and all, but it's very lean. I've considered making pemmican, but getting the tallow has been problematic.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 16:14

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Try googling this:

no sugar jerky

A lot of results come up.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 21:50

Plan: VLC/High Fat
Stats: 253/249/200 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I like Vermont Smoke and Cure - not necessarily zero carb, but their beef/pork sticks are tasty with good ingredients. I stick with the cracked black pepper ones because they taste the best to me.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 23:06

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger

I agree, though, with the poster who spoke about pemmican. Beef jerky is great and all, but it's very lean. I've considered making pemmican, but getting the tallow has been problematic.

I just bought beef tallow this week from www.fatworks.com.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 07:38

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I just bought beef tallow this week from www.fatworks.com.

Nice! I'll have to look at them. THank you!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 11:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just made my first batch of jerky (turkey). It is definitely edible, though a little too salty. I'm committed now! I've ordered a "jerky gun". I've got 3 more pounds of ground turkey I need to use up. I gotta do better with seasonings.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 14:57

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

*hangs head*
i spend entirely too much money on my beloved perky turkey jerky- for me, it is SO worth the 8g in a bag on days i eat it (which are almost almost intense exercise days anyhow- it is my "pregrame" routine for trail running.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 21:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I love my jerky gun. I don't marinate the meat in fluids, I just add dried or fresh herbs (parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme work well with turkey) and spices to the raw meat. For ideas and amounts of herbs & spices to use, consult regular recipes you like and use the same ratio of herbs/spices to meat. It dries much more quickly and with less mess that jerky made with marinated meat and liquid smoke (which I hate the taste of and it is full of inflammatory ingredients).

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Feb-03-15 at 21:12.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-15, 22:17

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Luther's Jerky - the nutrional info and Nicks Sticks - Spicy Version nutritional info

I buy these two brands. Great for hiking or cross country car trips
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-16-17, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/163/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

There is a company online called "People's Choice" that carries a 0 carb beef jerky, but it is only the hot and spicy one. I haven't tried it but am debating between that and using the dehidrator I got a few Christmases ago to make my own.