Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-14, 10:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Wheat Belly Total Health by Dr. William Davis

Jimmy Moore has published the first review I've seen of the new Wheat Belly book, released today. So looking forward to reading this book!

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...iam-davis/23504

Quote:
By this point, I’d find it hard to believe that there’s anyone who hasn’t at least heard of Milwaukee, WI-based cardiologist Dr. William Davis‘ runaway New York Times bestselling book released in 2011 called Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health. That singular book has played such an instrumental role in combating the message we continually hear from so-called health experts about the need to consume more “healthy whole grains” in our diet and people are waking up to the truth about how grains are destroying their health. Even those who aren’t as deeply ingrained (all pun intended!) in the health community are aware of the powerful message Dr. Davis shared about in that book that is still having a major impact and touching the lives of countless numbers of people with more than a million copies of that instant classic in print and counting. But now he’s back with even more compelling information that is sure to become a classic as well.

In his long-awaited 2014 follow-up book Wheat Belly Total Health: The Ultimate Grain-Free Health and Weight-Loss Life Plan, Dr. Davis applauds those who were able to successfully remove the wheat from their diet, but now encourages them to extend that dietary abstention to ALL grains and even most carbohydrates that are wreaking the most havoc on their health. That doesn’t mean a no-carb diet (as the biased media likes to describe it), but rather a customized plan tailored towards the individual to figure out what level of the appropriate kinds of carbohydrates is right for them to keep their metabolic and hormonal health markers in check. And guess what? That’s going to be different from person to person which is why this book shows you what things to be on the lookout for in your pursuit of optimizing your health. The idea that we are all a bunch of robots who need the exact same nutritional approach to health is long gone.

So what do you get from this new book that Dr. Davis didn’t already share in Wheat Belly? Plenty! The book is broken up into three major parts:

Part 1: Dr. Davis explains the problem with consuming any grains in your diet (it’s a far different grain today than it was in Biblical times), the unique and damaging role (to both the cows and the humans who consume the meat from those cows) that grains have played in “fattening” up the cattle, and why we should be gravitating towards making humanely-raised, grass-fed, grain-free cows and other animals as the primary sources of our healthy nutritional plan.

Part 2: You’ll learn why going grain-free is more than just about getting rid of the belly, but rather about putting your health in the best possible position it can be. You get very practical advice on how to make this transition as smoothly as possible with tricks and tips that have helped so many of Dr. Davis’ patients and readers. And expanding up what his neurologist colleague Dr. David Perlmutter shared in his 2013 New York Times bestselling book Grain Brain, Dr. Davis gives all the preventative measures in dealing with such neurodegenerative diseases as seizures, dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease and well as many other quality of life issues. They’re all related to nutrition which will be revelation to so many who read this book.

Part 3: This is where you get to the really good stuff in this book because you’ll learn about the kind of damage all those years of consuming grains have had on your health and Dr. Davis helps you overcome and fully recover from what he describes as “Post-Traumatic Grain Gut Syndrome.” When you do that, he explains the powerful therapeutic impact that will play on key blood health markers like cholesterol, blood sugar, inflammation and more. It’s in this section that you learn about other things that can impact weight and health, including thyroid, endocrine function, autoimmune disease, and more. Plus, you won’t want to miss what Dr. Davis has to share about those of you who are doing all the right things and yet you aren’t seeing the weight come off (this chapter alone is worth the price of admission!).

Dr. Davis is one of the most articulate, smack-you-in-your-face-with-the-truth, and truly witty health personalities of our day and Wheat Belly Total Health puts that on full display for all the world to see. Reading through this book, I could tell the passion that Dr. Davis has for this subject is stronger than it’s ever been before. He really stepped up his game to another level this time around with a bit more pep in his step as well as a greater sense of urgency than he did in WHEAT BELLY. The time is NOW to absorb information that is going to change your life and that’s exactly what you’ll get in this book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 07:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Yay! I love Dr. Davis' writing style. He can put humor in, for instance. Not everyone can do that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-14, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/170/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I downloaded the book yesterday. Excellent read!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 13:33

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Agreed: Excellent read! I have a boatload of other stuff I really need to do, but I can't put the book down.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 13:43

Got mine from Amazon yesterday. Was surprised at how "passionate" his Introduction was, people who haven't bought into the grains are bad for you advice might be put off by it. But I am enjoying the science and humor of his writing, it is not a repeat of the first book but much more.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 08:08

new review:
http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/whea...y-total-health/

Quote:
Testimony of the Day

This woman flew over 2 hours to my office! And the ‘kicker’ is that she makes beautiful cakes all day and is surrounded by sugar and wheat, but she is committed!

“In October 2102 I started on the path to having gastric bypass surgery after years of yo-yo dieting and being overweight since around age 8-9. I did everything from doctor supervised to phen-fen to WW to Medifast. My best weight loss was from Medifast but it quickly became too expensive and really was icky to drink shakes all day!

In January 2013 I read a Wheat Belly synopsis. This was an interesting concept to me so I bought the Wheat Belly Cookbook on Kindle. At the end of his book, Dr. Davis offered Maria’s Blog as a great place for recipes, guidance, etc. I checked it out and was impressed so I bought the Metabolism book for my kindle. Then I had an initial health assessment and email consult with Maria. I immediately stopped my diet coke addiction (over 40 oz a day) – that was the hardest one for me. During this time we started eating less wheat and sugar and by January 15th I got rid of all the grain products and went wheat free.

Since that consult with Maria in early January through today I’ve lost 51 lbs. The first 40 came of rather quickly and the last 11 have been slower, but are still coming off at about 1 to 1.5 lbs a week. All this with little exercise (since I’m allergic to it! Ha, Ha, Ha!) I canceled my WLS that was scheduled for April 2013 and couldn’t be happier. My moods are improved, I’m sleeping great, my body doesn’t ache all the time, my hands and feet aren’t always cold, I’ve not had a headache or acid reflex since late January, and my PMS is much better. I was experiencing facial ticks and vertigo type symptoms daily and the doctor didn’t know why but within 10 days of getting off the Diet Coke, they were gone and haven’t been back.

I still have a long way to go (another 75 lbs maybe) but am now confident I have the right knowledge and the right nutritionist (Maria) to help guide me. Maria’s books, blog posts, and facebook page are great and full of eye-opening insights. We like most of her recipes I’ve made – especially the treats! I would love to be able to afford one-on-one consults but our budget only allowed for the basic health assessment and email consult. Of all the things I’ve done to shed the pounds, paying Maria (including books, cookbooks, and one seminar) was the best money I’ve ever spent. Wish I would have found Maria sooner – I would have saved a ton of money on wasted programs. -Paula”

Click HERE to start your path to health and healing!

WHEAT BELLY: TOTAL HEALTH
Dr. William Davis, author of New York Times best-selling book Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health has done it again. He brilliantly wrote a perfect pairing book called Wheat Belly: Total Health. It is a coherent next step for anyone choosing to take control of their life and become the healthy person they deserve to be!

If you have an autoimmune disorder plaguing you such as Hashimoto’s, Graves, or diabetes, migraines, chronic pain, low energy, depression, take a step towards healing and get this book!

There are 3 main sections to Wheat Belly: Total Health. The first section illuminates the issues with eating grains of all types. He describes why those “healthy whole grains” that are pushed on us by many medical professionals are anything but healthy!

The second section teaches why this diet is more than just about losing weight, but becoming the amazing and healthy person you deserve to be! I too wasn’t always this healthy and active. Even as a teenager; it wasn’t until I cut all grains did I feel like the strong woman I am today. In this section you get guidance on how to make this switch as effortlessly as possible. I love how he includes tips from his patients; that was my favorite part!

In the third section, you are informed of all the harm consuming grains have done on our bodies… depressing yet empowering how we have the POWER TO CHANGE and TOTALLY RECOVER! And by adapting this LIFESTYLE (not a temporary diet) that is when we begin to heal our bodies from terrible ailments (as well as losing that Wheat BellyJ).

So start your path to health today and pick up Wheat Belly: Total Health! You deserve to be the strong and healthy person you were meant to be!

#7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 08:46

Plan: lo-carb, atkins
Stats: 202/195/130 Female 5ft. 1 1/2inch.
BF:
Progress: 10%

thanks Jeh. I've struggled on and off with this woe for the last couple of years...even though I like it!! I will get this book. I have and read his first one and found it great. I'm trying to go clean but find myself slipping sometimes. Grains not so much as potatoes!! Am down 4# since getting serious a week and a half ago.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-14, 10:37

Dr. Davis was interviewed on Dr. Oz yesterday http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/ult...orm-your-health (three clips with short ads in between) and answers some FAQs in these two short articles on the website. http://www.doctoroz.com/article/whe...-md-answers-faq and http://www.doctoroz.com/article/mod...davis-weighs-in
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 07:29

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I have this book on hold from our local library. Expecting to get it in a week or so. Can't wait to read it, based on the comments in this thread!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-14, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly / Atkins
Stats: 198/187/165 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi
I recently read - by Audiobook - Wheat Belly, and yes I've really enjoyed listening to it repeatedly! I also like his sense of humour.... but I like his passion and enjoy hearing all the ins and outs and amazing stuff that happens in our bodies - very interesting.

Am a little bit - okay maybe a lot - concerned about "doing" this lifestyle - without cheating..... well - what I mean is - pure foods. Normally, I reward myself with Diet Coke.... hmmmm - and I haven't read the ingredients, lately for Atkins protein bars and Atkins chocolate bars - but yes, I am considering (only) the concept of not having those either, as I'm wondering about "wheat products" or processed foods thinking. What about you others interested in Wheat Belly? Do you think it's okay? I don't want to offend anyone using Atkins products..... I've really really enjoyed them in the past, when I've done low carb - on and off for years... but just wondering if I need to really embrace the "pure/ unprocessed" foods, thinking.

Last edited by michele.c : Mon, Oct-20-14 at 21:46.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 04:27

You may not need to be 100% pure unprocessed foods, but until you try at least one month without the crap, you will never know how good you can feel! I really encourage you to try giving up ALL grains and processed foods (although Dr Davis allows some sugar subs like stevia). The stuff in Atkins bars is horrid. My move to an almost totally Primal style diet (no grains ever) was a multi-step process over seven years, and that works better for some. Give up diet soda, then all artificial sweeteners, then gluten grains, ..etc. I had removed all artificial sweeteners and most sugar four years before going low carb. Then went to a very low carb No sugar, No starch diet, which by default was no wheat. Wheat Belly came out a year later which explained why many health issues improved (eczema and arthritis gone). My DH joined me in No Wheat then, and cured his heartburn.
Dr. Davis's program is viewed as "Paleo lite"...not as strict as a Whole30, Chris Kresser Personal Paleo Reset diet, or even Primal Blueprint, but so worth it try it. Have you seen his FaceBook page for testimonials?
I listen to "That Paleo show" podcast out of Adelaide, and follow Chef Pete Evans for real food recipes. Do you know about Professor Grant in NZ? He is having a low carb meeting in Auckland next month. http://profgrant.com/2014/09/25/jim...-13th-book-now/. He put on a good conference last year, and some of his talks are in the top bar on his page.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-14, 08:23

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Michele,
I'm not the kind of person that can just make sweeping changes. I have to tip toe in to things.
I started with the big and easy things, no bread no pasta, not eating cereal for breakfast, that made a huge difference.

Then I just keep working at it, getting better and better.
You don't have to be purrfect it's ok to make mistakes, just keep on keeping on.

I don't purposely cheat, but I frequently get carb attacks, like last night some M&M's got me...just a handful, I'll be ok, I try not to feel TOO guilty about it.

Some day I'll be able to say no grains ever, now I can only say hardly any grains.

And I do feel a lot better, esp my arthritis, it's totally gone
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-14, 03:34

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I made the change gradually, too. I started out by adding more veggies to my diet. After a while, a month or so, I noticed I was not craving carbs anymore. The craving for sweets went first. Bread has been the hardest to eliminate for me. I now eat very few processed foods or carbs. I did notice lately, that if I let up on the vegetables, I start to crave the carbs again.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 03:38
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly / Atkins
Stats: 198/187/165 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi!
Great helpful comments everyone.... I tend to be an "all or nothing" kind of personality. But it's always good to remember I don't have to be perfect.
Funnily enough, I have most noticed, not having soya sauce, not having gravy and (okay for a person addicted to salt) sorry to admit this - but I've been too lazy to have salt - I have the coarse organic stuff but I have to grind it (our grinder packed up the other day) - and I can't be bothered.... but also, after reading the side of the "standard iodised salt" I thought - no, forget it... when you start seeing anti-caking... whatever and numbers - nup!

Am sticking with his wedge of orange or apple, the "limitless veges" salads and omlettes - I was feeling sorry for myself yesterday - eating too many (expensive - moan, moan) macadamia nuts and cheeses and noticed that I was feeling a bit "compulsive" about it all - so I felt resentful that I was "being good" but still feeling like eating a lot....
then I start think... well Michele this is no good, might as well - BUT NO WAIT - I stayed on the wagon, and today just kept to the basics - and fortunately wasn't feeling frantic today - whew!

I have felt quite "convicted" about diet coke and just general health stuff.. I'm 49 - c, just on the edge, and looking around at some friends and family with all kinds of health issues - and just really "knowing" that I do have to take the lifestyle seriously and focus on getting rid of wheat, processed foods and lowering carbs - yeah, of course, all at once.

Anyway, going well - I didn't know about the guy in Auckland! So yes, I'll get studying - am tired but it's worth staying up a bit late to do this important stuff. I really appreciate the sharing and comments and experience.

I am probably noticing it - because my family are still eating "the usual" stuff - I was joking with my 16 year old son about his acne - and he should "cross to the other side" and give up bread!!! It may take a bit more arm twisting and a few more health issues before maybe others will follow - that would be a dream to actually live in a wheat free house - wow!!!

Maybe then I could also get "them" to give up potato and rice.
Do you have potato and / or rice - 1/2 Cup - size???
or no? (I'm steering clear of these, since I just want to minimise cravings...)

I will keep trying unprocessed foods route (as well as low carb/ no wheat), - btw I have never done that in my life! I think I always thought it would be too hard to do, anyway.

BTW - curry powder - seems to be "harmless" in terms of ingredients ... but Dr Davis says don't have curry?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-14, 08:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Does he mean liquid curry? Maybe some restaurants add wheat? I don't believe I've ever seen Thai or Indian curry recipes that had it, but who knows what they do in restaurants. I guess you'd have to ask.