Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 212/186/175 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Really craving a nice piece of crunchy bread!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. Have done low carb in the past and decided it was time to get back to it. I started Monday, and so far I'm not doing too bad. I am not doing the total Atkins induction, but more a general low carb, with more vegetables.

My problem right now is I'm not really hungry but I am soooooo craving a nice piece of warm crusty bread. That has always been my weakness. Unfortunately I don't really know of anything that would substitute for that.

Anyone have any suggestions? helps? advice?

Thanks! And I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 17:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/250/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling
My problem right now is I'm not really hungry but I am soooooo craving a nice piece of warm crusty bread. That has always been my weakness.

Mine too ... and no, I haven't found anything that comes close ... so I just try not to think about it! lol
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

You can make bread out of flax, then toast it.. There is also a "muffin in a minute" (MIM), which people say is like bread.. or plenty of other recipes on this forum or the internet. Like Babbette says, there isn't anything quite like the real thing, so the best thing to do is not think about it. Soon, you'll not even miss it.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 18:32
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Flax bread is way better the second day after refrigerating by the way. It's one of the great mysteries of flax.

Also, you might visit the protein powder donut holes thread and look at one of the last posts where I outlined how I made pizza pups. They were slightly crunchy from the frying and they tasted like something horrible for you from a frozen box that you would love while eating it but feel like crap afterward for LOL. Maybe it's not good to serve that palate, but if you really need a break from everything seem so damn healthy all the time you can try that.

Also, for crunchy, you can make some really maple-sweet pecans using artificial sweetener, bake, it's a very crunchy tidbit.

Parmy chicken chunks aren't quite crunchy but are similar finger food, I think they are called heroin wings and angel wings in the kitchen forum.

PJ
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 18:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Read "Wheat Belly" and your bread cravings might go away. :nod:
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 19:08

Plan: Non Specific - Just LC
Stats: 188/163/130 Female 5'4"
BF:46.65%/37.7%/23%
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Read "Wheat Belly" and your bread cravings might go away. :nod:

That's what I was thinking.

This is your body going through withdrawals from wheat. The best thing to do is try to work your way through the craving. Eat other allowable foods, even if you think you're eating too much. Do what you need to do to make it through but don't give in.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 220/188.3/165 Female 71 inches
BF:

I blame bread for the weight I am now. I quit smoking and was working in a restaurant where we baked bread every day.
I also read Wheat Belly to explain some symptoms I was having, and it was enlightening. Wheat products cause you to crave them, like a drug.

I would suggest what others have said: find substitutes, think about something else, fill up with healthy food. Part of my love of bread was as a carrier for butter; I never ate it plain. Now I can have the butter, just on top of something else.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 07:50

Plan: To Be A Ninja
Stats: 187/165/154 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 67%

Why not incorporate a cheat day once a week? We eat whatever we want on Saturdays and it has a number of positive effects. If you are not following Atkins but just eating lower carb then there is no problem with this.

It keeps your metabolism running fast as you get a great re-feed, but it also keeps you sane too. You have something to look forward to all week.

BUT, you will be amazed how quickly what you thought you loved falls out of favor. I think we ate bread for the first 2 Saturdays since we began eating how we now do, and then we realized that it really wasn't anything to miss anyway.

Eating cleaner really does open your eyes to the real taste of whole foods, and you quickly lose interest in a lot of foods you once ate on a regular basis.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 10:20

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 325/323/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:-/-/-
Progress: 1%

This is my go-to when I get a bad craving that won't go away:
BACON--works like a charm
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 212/186/175 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks everyone! I will check out some of those recipes. The Wheat Belly sounds very interesting, and I am definitely addicted! In just the few short days so far I feel better already.

And a cheat day sounds good! LOL About 10 years ago I did the Body for Life diet, which wasn't exactly low carb, but definitely lower and healthy carbs with protein. I do remember doing a cheat day with that! I just worry that one cheat day and my cravings will come back.

Thanks for all the feedback!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: stillman, atkins, healthy
Stats: 173/148/130 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling
Thanks everyone! I will check out some of those recipes. The Wheat Belly sounds very interesting, and I am definitely addicted! In just the few short days so far I feel better already.

And a cheat day sounds good! LOL About 10 years ago I did the Body for Life diet, which wasn't exactly low carb, but definitely lower and healthy carbs with protein. I do remember doing a cheat day with that! I just worry that one cheat day and my cravings will come back.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

i notice a bread listed on a diet, it called EZEKIAL BREAD, and it is on jorge cruz, belly fat good diet. im going to the health food store this weekend, its prob expensive, you could prob chech the nutritional values on line.

you can find the recipe for the 1 min muffin on dr. oz website, or just type in "jorge cruz 1 minute muffin", we bought the ingedients and made them! we enjoyed them, and it was like eating a hot muffin for real! just different texture, and taste!

good luck!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 12:20

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 129/129/112 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

GG Bran Crispbread is a great substitute for a crunch that is 85% fiber.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 12:26

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used to eat Ezekial Bread when I was a vegan. The ingredients include sprouted wheat, sprouted barley, millet, and it has gluten in it. If bread is your addiction this won't help you and, yes, it is expensive. Bread is my crack so I've had to quit it cold turkey. I don't dare try the substitutes, including MIM and flax, although I'm sure they taste great. But a hardcore addict like me will just use them as an excuse to nudge nearer to the real thing. My advice to a fellow addict is to run like hell away from bread and keep running. Eventually the craving does go away.

Last edited by Whofan : Fri, Jun-29-12 at 09:05.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 13:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 186/175/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

When I get a crunchy craving I turn to pepperoni chips or kale chips! Yum!!! (not quite a bread substitute but very nice and crunchy!)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 14:30

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I have to go with the "tough love" crowd: don't try to find substitutes for a thing you want to get out of your diet. It will only make it harder to leave wheat behind. After 7 months of being grain-free, I made some parmesan-flax crackers for a brunch, and even though the ingredients were fine, eating these crackers made me want the wheat variety.

Chew gum, chew homemade beef jerky (if you have the equipment to make it), make baked kale chips, meditate with a focus on feeling clean and peaceful inside, and hang out on this forum to get support.

Avoid anything having to do with Dr. Oz, anything with grains (especially a thyroid killer like millet), and any franken-foods that approximate what you used to eat THAT MADE YOU SICK.