Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-17, 07:43

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Question About Fasting

I had another idea

I've gotten into the habit the past few weeks of fasting the day before my "weight in" as I track my weight each week, just to give me that little bit of extra weight loss. My goal has been to lose 1% per week which from what I have read is a reasonable goal. I have been successful all but one week so far.

I thought of turning things around and starting out my week fasting until I hit my weight loss goal for the week, then sort of eat to maintain until weigh in day comes.

Has anyone here ever heard of or tried this approach or see any problem with it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 06:31

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Sort of a taboo subject here, the forum doesn't support fasts longer than 24 hours for ethical/legal reasons. People doing fasting and other protocols that aren't supported, under medical supervision can talk about it in their journals, but that's pretty much it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Trying to hit weight loss targets week to week would never have worked for me. The first several months I lost weight at a nice clip (or so I assume as I was too heavy to weigh myself at home). When I was small enough to start weighing daily at home a patterned emerged. I would sit at or about the same weight for anywhere from a week to a month. I was eating right. I still lost fat most everyday, but it was being replaced by water. Then I'd get a big whoosh and drop several pounds over a 2 or 3 day period. It took me a while (and lots of anxiety) to get used to that weight loss pattern. Eventually I chilled out about it. So the moral here is that you have some control over the fat lost. But the weight comes off when it comes off. Do your part and eat right, then you will get good results. However, maybe not on the schedule you'd prefer.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Oct-25-17 at 07:15.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:24

BF:

Interesting... and a bit surprising considering recent studies regarding fasting.

Three day fasts have been recommended and practiced for hundreds and thousands of years in Jewish, Christian and eastern religions / cultures for both physical and spiritual / mental renewal & acuity.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 07:40

BF:

Ken:

Your way sounds better. I may do a 3 day fast sometime just because I never have before and would like to, but making it a practice probably would not work too well.

The dinner meal that my wife and I share every day is a sort of ritual itself and even fasting one day a week has kind of thrown that off a bit.

I'm comfortable now with that one meal a day and also fasting one day a week and it seems to be working. There's also the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 08:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

About the taboo subject of extended fasting... When fasting started to get hot a year or two ago the topic got popular here, too. In one of the threads a couple members appeared as though they were in completion to see who could go without eating the longest - or at least that is how it was interpreted by the operators of this site. The fasts started getting much longer than 3 days. Out of concern (and perhaps perceived liability) admins put the kibosh on discussions of longer fasts outside of your own journal.