Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-17, 18:55

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%
Default Need to gain weight and stay keto/ close to

I have been low carb for 12 years. I started because I'm a type 1 diabetic. I have phenomenal control of my blood sugar, but another serious illness left me quite thin 3 years ago.
While I have reached a healthy BMI, I'm about 10 pounds under where my Dr's say I will be most likely to conceive.

Currently, I eat about 30-35 net per day, plus 10-20 fiber.

Any advice on gaining?
I am cutting back cardio as advised by doc, but keeping up strength training and yoga (Dr approved).

Also, I'm bumping calories (eating to snack not just for appetite).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 15:43

Plan: Carbs <30g/day
Stats: 131/127/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I just saw your post, and my first thought was to eat things that Atkins warns could stall your weight loss if you eat too much of them, but that won't raise your blood sugar. For example, cheese and nuts. These don't raise my blood sugar (except cashews). I hope that helps a little.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 16:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Dr Bernstein says that if you want to gain weight add more protein.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

Consider adding digestive enzymes and probiotics to your regimen. They can help improve nutrient absorption and thus benefit from the calories consumed.

Don't cut out cardio completely. While most people think primarily of calorie burning, cardio also does a lot to keep the body tissues supplied with oxygen and nutrients for growth and in disposing of waste products that can inhibit growth. Keeping some cardio also promotes good sleep which is beneficial for tissue growth and decreasing cortisol levels.

Obviously, weight management is more complex than calories in vs. calories out but you are on the right track. Increase your caloric intake incrementally until you are seeing the results you want. I find that avocado and nut oils work well for increasing my calories when needed, without producing undesired side effects.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-17, 23:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Robin. Would it be possible to increase your carb intake somewhat, and dial up your insulin a tad too? Or would that just be too risky? I think of that because it's the opposite of anorexics I've met on ED forums who are also T1D - they would slash their insulin (or not take it at all) to become underweight.

Did your periods actually stop, or is that just a comment the doctor offered up? FWIW, a lot of the gals on the ED forums also mention a wide range of experiences regarding fertility at low weights - the stereotype is "BMI below (17-19 or whatever), amenorrhea, infertility" but the reality is a whole lot of underweight moms. There's also a huge range of BMIs at which women become amenorrheaic, and many that don't at all. I never stopped menstruating at a 17 BMI.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 04:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Like sugar free, I’d enjoy increasing the cheese and nuts, two calorie dense foods I have to now limit. Also, a substitute for ice cream, frozen berries and heavy cream whizzed in a food processor, comes out like a soft-serve ice cream. And any full fat dairy like sour cream with some cocoa added. So easy for those to slip down and increase calories.

When a friend had to regain weight after a bowel resection, directed him to these 5 "real food" shakes from the SCD site.
https://scdlifestyle.com/2013/04/5-...akes-paleo-scd/. You may be able to make them even more LC by adjusting, mixing and matching, the recipes. They range from 1,000-1,500 calories a shake.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-26-17 at 04:50.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 05:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Dr. Atkins Super Energy Diet, published way back in 1977, has a chapter on gaining appropriately if you're underweight. Unfortunately it's out-of-print now, but you might be able to find a copy at your local library .. or through inter-library loan?

Andreas Eenfeldt .. a.k.a. DietDoctor .. has a page dedicated to gaining weight with Low Carb .. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/gain-weight

Best of luck to you, Robin
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-17, 08:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Sugarfree- great idea to use "staller" foods. I love both cheese and nuts and eat them daily. I don't get a ride from them either

Jean- great idea re: protein. I find what to be particularly spiking for me, so I could definitely use it to use more insulin. It spiked me so much, I use it to get me through my mountain trail races

Fatbegone- good points. The Dr said to try to limit my normal goal of 4-5 miles per day to two, so that sounds reasonable for a temporary change.

Kristine- yes, I have had 4 periods since August 2014, 2 of which were induced by process
I just finished the last one, which was induxed, and my hormone levels came back normal in my lab work, so that's excitung!
With type 1's, ED's are super common. When they cut down insulin, they lose weight because there body can't utilize the energy from carbs, and it's expelled as ketones in urine (diabetic ketosis).
I am going to try to bump to 50 net carbs per day, so I can use more insulin, and also why Dr wants me to chill on cardio (as cardio lowers blood sugar, so I use even less insulin). Congrats on your recovery, btw!

Janet- ooh, those shakes sound delicious. And I love ice cream type things. Had forgotten berries and cream- thanks!

Doreen- thank you for those resources! And thanks for the well wishes