Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 02:32
Registered Member

Plan: keto
Stats: 242/233/187 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Keto Energy Levels

Hey guys,
I've been on Keto for a couple of months now but I've noticed that my energy levels on gameday (I play basketball) are just not what they should be. I understand there's an adaptation phase, but as it's been over two months of clean eating, hitting my macros etc, I'm wondering how long it took you guys to adapt?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 09:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it took me something like a decade to realize that lowering my daily protein intake by about 30 grams, while keeping carbs under 20, gave me more consistent energy for working out, a better pump, etc. Of course this is only practical if you were eating sufficiently above your daily requirement in the first place. This effect was so quick for me, a bit of fasting or eating more ketogenically for a day, and my energy levels went way up--in my own case, it really does seem to have been a matter of getting into a deeper state of ketosis rather than of long-term ketoadaptation, I could function fine higher ketone levels as soon as I had them.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 02:09
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I'm a little embarrassed to say, but it took me something like a decade to realize that lowering my daily protein intake by about 30 grams, while keeping carbs under 20, gave me more consistent energy for working out, a better pump, etc. Of course this is only practical if you were eating sufficiently above your daily requirement in the first place. This effect was so quick for me, a bit of fasting or eating more ketogenically for a day, and my energy levels went way up--in my own case, it really does seem to have been a matter of getting into a deeper state of ketosis rather than of long-term ketoadaptation, I could function fine higher ketone levels as soon as I had them.

Hmm that's interesting! You said you lowered your protein intake by 30 grams? So where were you at then, macro-wise?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-17, 05:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

This isn't super accurate, because I didn't always measure my protein intake before the change, but I'd say I was probably eating somewhere around 90 grams, and now it's around 60. I'll usually eat a little more protein on the weekends for social reasons, though.

Carbs stay below 20, that's total not net, but I make a point of getting in about half a pound of very low carb veggies, so I'm not equating digestible and non-digestible carbs. That leaves fat. I try to stay in ketosis not just for weight loss, but also for mood, I have some mental health issues keto seems to help with. When I'm not trying to lose weight, my fat intake can be around 85 percent of calories, if I'm trying to lose weight the protein and carbs stays the same, but I try to find ways to eat a little bit less fat without being hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 03:04
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

85% of your calories come from fat...that's....impressive. Really struggling to hit 70% from fat even.

Glad it's helping you, health-wise man!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 06:43

Plan: Under 100g net
Stats: 132/118.8/118 Female 65"
BF:18%
Progress: 94%

I keep protein at 1-1.5 g per lb of body weight, fat at around 20%, and net carbs at 100-130 g, exercise daily and lift heavy weights (this is at a 20 bmi). My energy is fine. I am not happy at all much lower than 100 net carbs. But, my carbs are from fruit and vegetables. I don't eat starchy vegetables, rice, bread, added sugar, pasta, or packaged foods. I've been doing this for a good five years.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-17, 02:36
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hey Jen! Yea, I'd be all for the 100 net carbs diet, but I'm afraid I'm going to be sticking this Keto thing through. It's been quite the challenge but we're making progress so gotta keep going, right!