Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-17, 11:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywort8
I read all over the place that while on Atkins my bad LDL cholesterol should go down. I went on Atkins for one month before I had to stop due to having diarrhea as a result of it. I got my cholesterol tested a couple days after getting off of Atkins and was surprised to see my bad cholesterol had shot up to the "very high" bracket and my total cholesterol was also in the "high" bracket. I'm only 30 years old.

Should my cholesterol go down now that I've cut out much of the fat I was eating before while on Atkins?

Dave Feldman's claim is that ldl cholesterol reflects the previous three day's of eating. If it changes that quickly, you can't even be certain your cholesterol results have much to do with your period on Atkins, since you' been off it for a couple of days. Even that one day might not count, if you'd been malabsorbing fat while on the diet, and that caused the diarrhea, it might not be the fat that was digested that raised your ldl, a low carb diet in which you malabsorb enough of the fat is going to effectively be a lower fat diet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:14

Plan: Induction
Stats: 265/258/200 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:
Default Chlorestotol truth on low carb

I may be able to help here. I am a heart patient and have had my chlorestotol tested repeatedly while on a low carb diet and Ive seen first hand how it effects your numbers and I can actually post actual results if need be. I think the hospital might still have them online.

When you are on a low carb diet, it depends what kind of diet you are on oddly enough. For example, when I first went to the emergency room one time when all my troubles began, my total chlorestotol was about 230. Too high! The cardiologist that saw me that day was an older gentleman and described my chlorestorol as typical American diet of too much junk. In other words, it's too high but he sees it a lot. When I got out I went on a low carb diet moreso than I had been and it dropped but was still too high. But here is the odd part. I found, at the time I was slow to lose and I used periods of a stricter version to force my body to lose weight. Similar to the Alan keckwick version or deviled egg diet I call it. I ate 1200 calories or so a day and ate high fat low protein ratio. Now eggs are high clorestorol and you'd think it would go up. But nope. My total chlorestorol dropped to around 160.

So what I found, at least for me was this. It can be a tad high unless you are being pretty strict. And I am sure everyone is different but depending on how strict you are send to determine whether it goes down or not. When I was eating a less strict version of sorts but still in ketosis, mine crept back up to right over 200.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:38

BF:
Progress:
Default I'm sure everyone is different

This is just what I noticed. Not sure if it's of any use. Someone with more knowledge might have more insight. But when I really strict it dropped and on a typical low carb it crept up some. I will tell you this. Low carb will definately drop your heart rate some which is good and helps regulate sugar levels if you are type 2 diabetic. It certainly has many advantages. I'm not sure if it's the ideal diet or not but it's sure better than most people eat by a large margin. I'd be dead today if not for low carb dieting. It effects so many factors even when weight loss is slow.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:48

BF:
Progress:
Default Oh and don't forget

Eating fish and exercising regularly will also help lower it .
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 04:48

BF:

That's interesting, because it sounds entirely counter to what Dave Feldham and people he's been corresponding with are reporting. Of course he's mostly talking about ldl, you're talking about total, but still.

Are you using mayonaisse to make up the fat in those devilled eggs? Maybe fat type is making a difference. Also, if you're following Atkins' original advice of 5 or 6 micromeals, it's possible that makes a difference.

Then again, Dave is sort of looking at overfeeding fat vs. eating to appetite, not vs. a very low calorie diet.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 05:41

BF:
Progress:
Default Yes

Yeah I'm talking total not just ldl. And yes I use mayo. And you could be right about smaller meals more often. It could impact it, I'm not sure.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 05:47

BF:
Progress:
Default One thing too

One thing when I was more strict that changed too was during that time I rarely ate cheese when my numbers fell. Not sure if that matters but might be relevant.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 05:56

BF:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content.../6/864.full.pdf

This is mostly protein sparing modified fasts, but a comparable calorie level to a fat fast--changes in cholesterol seem to be more variable, often decreasing, which contrasts with the fasting studies where cholesterol usually goes up. So maybe there is other stuff going on. One thing mentioned is that diabetics were left out of the study, since blood glucose regulation can affect blood lipids, it would be interesting to see if there's a difference generally depending on insulin resistance with Dave's protocol.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-17, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

My experience has been that my bad cholesterol went down and good cholesterol went up whenever I ate strict low carb. My doctor said to keep doing what I was doing.