Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/205/160 Female 171cm
BF:42%/37%/??
Progress: 29%
Default Vessy goes to gym!

Decided to start this as I've been doing exercise for a week now. Going to gym every day except weekends and I am now running from 0.5 gone up to 1.2 miles in 20mins. Also by advice from Built and others I am doing my weights first and cario after. Changing weights workouts to be for different part of the body every day.
I am not familiar with any programs like BFL so I am just experimenting and combining exercise in the hope to find the right pace and make myself fit again (have I been fit ever?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 05:33

Stats: 270/247/160 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Vessy!

It looks like we started our gym logs on the same day, so I thought I'd come swing by and congratulate you!

It's true that weights before cardio increase weight loss (something I am going to try myself). It looks like you are on the right track with your information and I know you will be very pleased with your achievements in no time flat!

Mia
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 05:38

Thanks Mia!
Good luck to you too! It looks from your gym log that you are armed with fitness videos/dvd's - which ones are the best?
Unfortunately I don't have any equipment at home. I go to the staff gym at work every workday but no tv/dvd there. I was wondering what would be a good workout for home (I only have dumbells there)
I am off to the gym in 1/2 hour - can't wait!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-04, 06:13

Yesterday I did ... circuits? Let's call it that - I went on just about any machine in the gym, doing abs sets inbetween each machine. Finished off with tredmil - 1 mile for 15 mins (covered it for 20 mins the day before). I think I should try and stick to the slower speed and not overdo it. I am planning to buy a heart rate monitor but have no cash now
Today I plan not to do any cardio at all! Bless! I feel very energetic but for lifting weights and not for running. I will probably do a circuit weights again. The advice around the forum is that one should try to work different mussle groups each day but I can't get enough ideas with different sets. Can's remember the name of the stuff either/or some of the medical sounding anatomy groups... I am hopeless. Maybe I should get a book with pictures and sample fitness programs to look at while in the gym.
I feel I definately need to be better organised with my workouts - it will be a shame if for all my hard work I don't get any results just because I am doing things the wrong way
Any good books for beginners anyone?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-04, 17:30

BF:

Hi Ves, all you need for a great home workout is dumbells and a vcr or dvd player. I love working out with Kathy Smith (which is great for beginners) and I've recently been doing her Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2 dvd, which is fun and gives a good workout for beginners (it would probably be boring for intermediate/advanced). I recently ordered from Amazon, Kathy Smith Kickboxing, Minna Emergency Workout and Tamilee Webb I want that body. When I recieve them next week I'll let you know how they go.

I know what you mean about preferring to lift weights. It is much slower and easier to do on days when you feel 'blah'.

A good book for beginners (which I love) is Bottoms Up by Joyce Vedral. This book incorporates weight loss with changing your body profile, and the workouts use dumbells. If you want a book about working out on machines that is interesting to read and focuses on your body type, I would recommend 'Vixen'. Be warned, however, the author is extremely vain and brags endlessly about how great shape she is in and how people approach her all the time and tell her she's the sexiest woman alive *rolls eyes*. If you can get past her narcissism, then its a pretty good intro to weight machines, particarily as they pertain to the area of your body you want to work on most..... although, to be honest, I am sure there are better books out there, I just havent read them yet.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-04, 08:00

Skipped gym today because I went to the bookstore to search for Joyce Vedral book - what a waste of time - they have none and it is out of print so I am now going on amazon to order one and I will hopefully get it in 2 weeks.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 18:13

BF:

hey vess, long time no see

Just checking to see if you're still around!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-01-04, 18:14

BF:
Default Hello?

hey vess, long time no see

Just checking to see if you're still around!