Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 17:02

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Progress: 0%
Default Mac - your protein requirements in ounces

40 grams comes to 6 oz. of protein per meal. I think it would be 3 oz. of protein for each of 2 snacks. 1/2 of your regular meals. I hope that helps you out.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 18:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Eades
Stats: 132/115/110
BF:
Progress: 77%

Could someone tell me how much protien I would need per meal? I am 5'4 inches and 128 lbs. Thank you!
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 18:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Eades
Stats: 132/115/110
BF:
Progress: 77%

My stats are wrong. I am now 128 lbs. How can I change them?
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 18:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Judy, you have to go click on User CP (in the long green bar) and then click on 'edit profile' to change your stats. HTH.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 18:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Judy,

To change your stats use User CP (in the green bar), then your weight can be changed in the Edit Profile.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Oct-22-05, 19:23

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I've read in numerous places (though can't cite anything at the moment) that saturated fat is only "dangerous" in the presence of carbs.

I can't let this comment go unanswered.
Saturated fat is NOT dangerous for any reason, except maybe that too much of it adds to the total caloric intake which has a price - either weight gain or slower loss. ACTUALLY, saturated fat is LESS dangerous than the "touted" omega poly unsaturated fats. The principal reason is that the double carbon bonds, that make a fat unsaturated, are less stable than the single bonds. Thus an unsaturated fat is much more likely to become "rancid" in the presence of free radicals. The rancid fat, broken fat molecules, are themselves free radicals which go off damaging things themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
High carbs plus high saturated fat can be very bad.

Principally because the high carbs raise the insulin level. This drives the blood sugar into the cells where it changes the metabolism from burning fat to burning the sugar - that your body just does NOT REALLY need. So the fat gets stored not used.

It is too late for me to get more technical since at this point I need to check my texts to be sure I have all the facts straight.

Larry
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 09:19

Stats: 305/214/175 Female 5,7
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Help How Much Protein

My son is going to library to get me the book Protein Power. Currently I'm on Atkins but missing fruit, so I think I may change over. Could someone one tell me how much protein I would need a day to loose weight. I'm 5/7 and weigh 225.
p.s. lost 120 lbs two years aga but starting to slide. i'm scarred

Cyndi
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:13

BF:

Hi Cyndi,

I hope my comments will help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndilindi
My son is going to library to get me the book Protein Power.
While getting PP from the library is a good quick solution, I would strongly urge you to buy BOTH Protein Power and Protein power Lifeplan. At under $18 they are not that expensive an INVESTMENT for your gaining good health. Read them in that order, as that is the order in which they were written. I say buy them because there is so much detail in them that you need to read and reread them to get it all in mind. I have read PPLP three times, and I still found new things I missed the first two times thru.
Quote:
Currently I'm on Atkins but missing fruit, so I think I may change over.
Your comment about fruit concerns me, in that it could derail you in your quest. Fructose, while it does not cause an insulin rise, still is a carbohydrate and adds to the fat production of the liver. That fat has to be used or stored so it either keeps stored fat from being used or adds to the already fat stored. The Eades do not “ban” fruit, they just want you to make good choices. That is pick fruit that has a lot of antioxidants per gram of carbohydrate that comes along.
Quote:
Could someone one tell me how much protein I would need a day to loose weight. I'm 5/7 and weigh 225.
PPLP indicates that 40 grams per meal is your minimum protein requirement. Most PPers seem to agree that you can go as much as two times that higher and be OK. Above that seems to not help and then adds to the total caloric load. There is a danger in low-carbing. That is reducing your total caloric intake to where your body kicks into “I’m a about to starve!!” mode. So it goes into conservation mode which slows the metabolism WAY down and you stop loosing the fat you are trying to lose.So, you need to replace the carbohydrate you have stopped eating with GOOD fat, like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. so you are getting the energy fuel you need to keep from making your body think it might be going to starve. 1500 calories per day seems to be about the place where the “starving” mode can start. So watch how much you reduce. The nice/good thing about using fat to replace carbs is, fat provides more calories per gram (9 for fat to 4 for carbs) plus it satisfies sooner. Try drinking half and half, if you drink milk, and see how MUCH more wonderful it tastes!
Quote:
p.s. lost 120 lbs two years ago but starting to slide. I'm scarred

Cyndi
I have copied the essential parts out of two web pages to help you “get a grip” on your fear and bring it under control. The first spells out why low-carb works AND how low your carb intake must be to have it work. The second reference I put in because it is clear to me that to be successful at low-carbing, you have to have a “attitude adjustment” as petra implies. Again, your comment about fruit rings the alarm bells in my head. I reading the PP/low-carber forums, I have found that some people are “IN FACT” addicted to sugars. That is, any amount of sugar eaten causes a binge that is often hard to recover from. So it is not a far stretch to think that some people have only mild addiction but still will then over eat sugary things, like fruit, maybe??

**** REFERENCE ONE ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike Eades
Low-carb diets bring about a host of positive changes. Along with ditching excess fat followers of sound low-carbohydrate regimens see their triglycerides fall, their blood pressures normalize, their lipid profiles improve, and their blood sugar levels stabilize. They sleep better, get rid of bad indigestion, even GERD if they have it, have more energy and are much, much less hungry. And, seemingly magically, low-carb dieters can even consume more calories than their brethren on low-fat diets and lose more weight. But, and here’s the big but…low carb diets must be followed correctly to bring about all these benefits. If not, there is no magic.
Most cells in the body can use glucose or fat or even protein, for that matter, for energy, but certain cells can use glucose only. Those glucose-only cells are some of the cells in the brain, the red blood cells, cells in the kidney and cells in the retina. All these glucose-using cells consume about 120-150 grams of glucose per day (about 3/4 of a cup), so if we’re eating 210 grams of carbohydrate per day as the Carbohydrate Consumption Report shows, then we have plenty of glucose (most carbohydrates convert to glucose in the body) to feed them with 60-90grams left over. As long as we’re getting the carbohydrate in our diet to meet the needs of these glucose-only cells, then nothing much happens metabolically. If we get these carbs and more and eat a lot of calories, we gain weight; if we get these carbs, but cut our calories, then we can lose a little. But we have no low-carb magic. It’s only when we get the carbs significantly down below the 120-150 grams we need that the metabolic changes that make low-carb diets work kick in. But, you may be wondering, what about all those cells that have to have glucose? What happens to then when we cut our carbs way back? Let’s take a look.
Found at Dr. Eades blog "We never failed"

**** REFERENCE TWO ****
Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65
I don't know about a "better" attitude Janet but about a new relationship with food. This is no longer about denial or deprivation for me but about living a healthier life. I don't feel deprived because I don't eat the donuts the drug reps bring into the office because I understand how unhealthy they are for me and how counterproductive that would be to my long term goals in terms of both health and weight. No short term pleasure is worth that to me anymore.

I think Randy is correct about the "wake up call" most of us needed. Mine was my impending 40th birthday and if I didn't get on a different path, I was headed the same place as my biological mother--early heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, strokes, etc. Data from the NWCR actually supports this idea. Most people who lose weight for superficial reasons: to look better in their bathing suit, aren't likely to be successful over the long term. It is people who have health or major life changing events (their spouse leaves them) who seem to make the big psychological jump.
Found at Protein Power Way of Life Forum - Topic: Hedonist, Dilettante, Purist

Sorry this is long, but I think it will help you,
Larry
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:14

BF:
Progress:
Default How Much Protein

Could someone please help me I'm want to try PP but I haven't gotten the book yet, how much protein and carbs should I be taking per day, I'm 5'7 and weight 225 (female) currently following Atkins but I'm missing fruit
Please send today desperate to start.

Cyndi
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 12:47

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for the reply I feel that I can do this and for the fruit, i'm really not even a fruit lover it's just once in awhile it would be nice to have something different, but I think I could do without Again thank-you for the articles.

Cyndi
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 15:37

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

the Eades would like you to eat berries for your fruit - raspberries, strawberries etc. About 70g of mixed berries and you'll get your 7-10g CHO for a meal. You can buzz these with some water to make a tasty juice, mix them in to a protein shake, eat with ricotta or cream, etc.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 12:05
Registered Member

Plan: Sensible reduced carbs
Stats: 276/259.8/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:35%/32%/10%
Progress: 21%

Well... I fell off the wagon for a few months, but learning to eat low carb actually helped me choose better foods during this period, so I only gained back about 6 pounds. Got rid of all the soda etc.
Now back on with vegance since I want to get lean for swing dance performance troupe. However, I recently fell in love with Jamba Juice whole fruit blends. However, the power size has up to 120 grams carbs, only a few of them fiber! Since they are whole fruit, there are no added surgars! I guess I will have to relegate the Jambas to a once a week indulgence and reduce to smallest size. :-/
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 17:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum
However, the power size has up to 120 grams carbs, only a few of them fiber! Since they are whole fruit, there are no added surgars! I guess I will have to relegate the Jambas to a once a week indulgence and reduce to smallest size. :-/

Quantum, some of the Jamba Juice drinks will definitely put you over in your per-meal or even daily carb intake. Remember--it doesn't really matter whether a food has 'no added sugars' if its carb content is more than what's recommended per day for your phase of the plan. 60g of carbs, whether from whole fruit or straight sugar is still 60g of carbs...and since fruits do contain more sugar than, say, spinach (natural sugar is still sugar), you may need to do more than reduce to the smallest size of a Jamba juice...

Does your location have 'tasting sizes?' That size might just be small enough to be an indulgence without being large enough to be your ECC intake for a whole day!
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 09:41

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 46%

hi
what would be my protein requirements for 113 pounds 5'3'' ??
thanks !
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Jul-07-06, 12:35

BF:

The minimum per MEAL in PPLP is 27 gm. You can, and probably should, go over that. I would limit it to twice that amount - my suggestion, as there are not any real good guides to the upper limit. I do know that excess protein can be used to supply blood glucose, something you probably do not want or need. Be sure to get enough GOOD fat for your energy needs.