Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 01:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Canadian pharmacist first to open low carb clinic

Quote:
CBC.ca
26 June, 2018

North Bay pharmacist opens low carb clinic to help people with diabetes, weight loss

Erin Pitkethly's Robinsong Health Low Carb Clinic is the first of it's kind in northern Ontario, she says

If your meals usually include a slice of bread or a bowl of pasta, the thought of adopting a low carb diet may not be something you're interested in.

But a North Bay pharmacist says adopting that diet can not only help you lose weight, but could improve your overall health.

Erin Pitkethly, a pharmacist who specializes in the management of medical conditions and weight loss with a low carb approach, recently opened Robinsong Health Low Carb Clinic in North Bay.

She says she once thought following a low carb diet was not healthy. But she changed her mind after researching the topic.

"I was seeing people with diabetes getting worse and worse, people getting their legs amputated, people having to go onto dialysis, and I knew there was a better way," she said.

"The more I read about it, the more I saw a real divide between what I knew was possible for people and their health and what I was seeing in practice."

Pitkethly trained with family physician Dr. Evelyne Bordua-Roy in Quebec and says she's the first pharmacist in Canada with low carb training. At her clinic, patients follow a low carb diet while being monitored by a health professional. Any medication the patient may be on is monitored as well.

As diabetes rates in northern Ontario are 20 per cent higher than the rest of the province, Pitkethly says managing these medical conditions with a low carb approach could be beneficial in the region.

"That's a very high disease burden," she said.

"It's really an expensive disease to treat long term, because of the eventual complications. And unfortunately, the medications we have ... delay the complications ... they don't prevent them."

The patients she's been working with so far have seen success, she says. One patient who is diabetic was able to taper off insulin in three weeks.

Pitkethly adds low-carb nutrition can also be used for a number of health problems, including Polycystic ovary syndrome, or PCOS, a hormonal disorder found in women that can cause fertility problems.

"There are some doctors in North Bay who are using low-carb medicine and they've told me that they've had patients that have reversed their PCOS and had babies," she said.

"That's happened in the clinic where I trained as well."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudb...h-bay-1.4722706
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 16:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Another chink out of the low-fat armor
  #3   ^